1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Anyone driven up California Highway 1?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by AnteaterCharger, Jul 15, 2010.

1. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,593
    Looking to do a driving trip with the gf from SF to LA; alot of people mention Highway 1 for the day between Monterrey and San Luis Obispo. I also hear alot about it being a small highway basically over hte cliffs.

Anyone know much about the route specifically btwn Monterey and SLO?

2. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    It's been awhile for me but we drove from SD to SF on 1/101 a few years back. You may hit some traffic tie-ups, possibly a detour due to slides, but can't beat the scenery. I'd suggest a stop at San Simeon (Randolph Hearst mansion) & the 17 Mile Drive in Carmel which circuits Pebble Beach, Spyglass Hill, and The Links at Spanish Bay golf courses along with other spectacular scenery. Big Sur is nice & my daughter & I had a great day at Point Lobos State Reserve near Carmel.

This is just from my memory, Ant. I'm sure that the locals here can provide much more input. Have fun!

3. sdbound

sdbound New Member

Ratings:
    +942
    We did this drive over two days in April. We made it from Stanford to Buelton/Solvang the first day, and down to Santa Monica the second day before cutting over. If we were going to do it again I would want to stay over at San Simeon and spend an entire day at Hearst Castle. (It takes 4 2-hour tours to see all of it.)

If time was not an issue you could easily spend 7-10 days making the journey. There are so many interesting places to visit.

I can understand why Buck recommended Big Sur – Hippy town, USA.

Check out http://www.smithsonianchannel.com/s...ce/aerial-california-sneak-peek/111234804001/

FYI, there are several one-lane landslide delays on the southern end.

4. sdchrger

sdchrger Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +820
    You have a girlfriend? :unsure:

5. sdbound

sdbound New Member

Ratings:
    +942
    I'm rewatching the show, "Aerial America: California", definately DVR this program before your trip. The preview clip is linked above.

6. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I think Big Sur is beautiful, but I certainly won't shy away from any hippie comments. :icon_tease:

Although, if memory serves correctly, Ant might. :lol: :icon_toast:

• Like Like x 1
  7. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I love the smell of football in the morning.

Ratings:
    +1,124
    Sounds like a great run, see a little local history and some beautiful scenery. I've taken the trip from SD heading north, have only gotten as far as Santa Barbara. I am making that run one for the bucket list, as well as taking Route 66 in my El Camino. Take a good camera, and happy trails...

Pointy :icon_twisted:

8. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,610
    It's awesome but you need plenty of time to take in all the sights along the way. Def worth doing at least once in a lifetime, the views are breathtaking. I reitterate though, give yourself as much time as possible, IMO, at least 2-3 days minimum. Don't even think about driving from SD to SF in a day. This is a drive you wanna savor like a good steak or a nice bottle of wine.