1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone else notice Bolts "D" drops ALOT of INT's

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Chargers-Superhero, Nov 28, 2009.

1. Chargers-Superhero

Chargers-Superhero Just win the Damn SB !!!

Ratings:
    +117
    I've noticed that during their winning streak the Defense has dropped ALOT of possible INT's that were right in their hands. I'm talking about really bad drops that a defense should easily make. Even had an INT that was eliminated due to a offside penalty.

Anyway, I've counted at least 10 INT drops in the past month. That would be at least 10 more possessions for the Offense back on the field after these. Not to mention stopping drives by the other team.

The defense has stepped it up, but has to have better hands in games where we might play Brady, Manning in the playoffs to get the ball out of their hands.

Anyone else notice this in the games...:icon_shrug:

2. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +715
    how could we have not noticed it dude?
    Guess there's a reason they aren't WRs, the D could use some stickum. Imagine what this D could be like if they get that **** worked out:tup:

• Like Like x 1
  3. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,552
    yea bro imagine WHEN started catching those picks.:icon_toast:

The 3 points the Broncos got last week could easily have been zero if Gregory snags that INT.

4. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Yes, there have been quite a few drops, and some of them almost proved costly. Coop has dropped at least two, including one that would have prevented a TD. Gregory's dropped a couple, too. Hopefully, they'll start to make those plays down the stretch.

5. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    If you re-watch that third down play, Gregory had no chance at the pick on that one. He barely got a single hand on the ball. But there was at least one other ball in that game he had a legitimate shot at.

6. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,412
    If they're dropping an INT that means they blocked the pass. :abq2:

7. IFiredCHart

IFiredCHart Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +96
    It basically comes down to this: would you rather have players who excel in coverage or players who excel in making the big defensive play?

In other words, would you rather prefer a a player like Jammer or a player like Cromartie? I am sure 9 fans out of 10 would choose Jammer, with the 10th guy not watching games and deciding to read the boxscores after the fact.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    I like that they have been getting more and more opportunities for INT's as the weeks have gone on. I'd imagine that as they have done all season they will continue to improve in this regard and will start making some of those catches vs. just batting down the ball.

But like Lash said earlier - they're on defense for a reason :lol:

9. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    I don't agree with your premise. It's not a choice between guys who take risks to go for picks and guys who don't. It's about players making the pick when the ball hits them in the hands. That's what this thread is talking about. If a ball hits you square in the hands, you should pick it off, no matter who you are.

10. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,412
    I don't fully agree with his argument, because as you say it's not as though it's an either/or choice.

That being said, I do agree with the sentiment behind his argument in that I'd rather have a defender who covers the receivers well than one who only gets picks every so often but otherwise gets burned a lot.

And, the bottom line is, while it would be nice if they didn't drop passes that were right at them, as I stated earlier, if they're dropping an INT that means they blocked the pass....which is still a good thing.

Using Gregory's dropped INT that was cited earlier as an example, it is true that if he doesn't drop it the Broncos don't score three points, but it is equally true that if he doesn't block it the Broncos score 7 points.

11. IFiredCHart

Ratings:
    +96
    I am not saying that it is a "one-or-the-other" premise by any means, as elite corners like Asomugha and Bailey can do both admirably.

But over the past 3 years, it is fairly safe to say that Cro has problems in coverage and Jammer is substandard at picking the ball off, and it is not difficult to realize which of the two is currently more valuable to this team.

If Cromartie works hard and improves his coverage, tackling, and focus, he could potentially be the type of corner that Bailey was in his prime...but until he does, I would rather have a strong cover corner.

I am not saying that it is impossible to be good at both the pick and coverage, but the Chargers situation currently does not have anyone to fit that mold. I will agree that the Cooper drop last game was inexcusable, though. :tdown:

12. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    That's fine, but that's a different topic than what this thread is about. This thread is about dropped INTs. Any player in the league should be capable of picking off a pass if it hits them in the hands. This defense has the potential to get alot better, if the players just hold onto the ball when it hits them right in the hands.

13. Chargers-Superhero

Chargers-Superhero Just win the Damn SB !!!

Ratings:
    +117
    This is about the "D" dropping INT's right in their hands, stopping drives giving the ball back to the Offense, not about them deflecting a pass, giving the other team another chance. I'm not talking about pass coverage, just the easy picks they have been dropping. As I stated before, I counted 10 in the last month where they were almost all alone defensively and the ball thrown right to them at times.

They got to catch those against Manning or Brady if we play them in the playoffs.

14. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,412

I don't necessarily disagree with either of these. It just seems like a luxury complaint to me.

If they're dropping potential INTs something good is still happening, even if it could have been better.

15. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210
    It is a luxury complaint. And a Superbowl ring is a luxury hunk of metal.

16. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,412
    If you prevent passes from being completed you can still win one of those. :icon_shrug:

17. Joy Division

Joy Division Slightly-known Member

Ratings:
    +542
    Luxury Complaint..as opposed to just a complaint? This thread is about our D dropping INT's that could result in our D being the dominating D that it was a couple of years ago. I have actually noticed the dropped INT's but it doesn't really bug me too much as long as the freakin' drive is stopped. Luxure complaint...classic.

18. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,412
    My choice of a words regarding the complaint may sound funny but you actually go on to agree with me here....

I'd like to reiterate the point that I don't necessarily disagree with the fact that it'd be better if they don't drop the INTs, but dropping the INTs still means they're preventing a complete pass, which is their main task.

As has also been pointed out, these guys are defensive backs and not wide receivers for a reason. I haven't analyzed statistics or anything but perhaps the increase in dropped INTs is just a perception on our case because they're getting to the ball more often than they used to? In other words, maybe they're dropping the same percentage of potential INTs as they've always have, but because they're getting to the ball more often we see more of them?

That's just a theory, though. As I said, I haven't looked up the numbers.

19. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    Sometimes it looks like interceptions are on the QB more the skill of the DB.

I'm not bothered by LBs or even safeties dropping passes. Pass catching is probably not #1 on things I must learn as a LB. Blowing up plays and knocking the snot out of the ball carrier seem like better qualities.

Even DBs get a some latitude as long as they are covering their guy, making a sure tackle and not getting Elvis "toast" Pattersoned.

:bolt:

oh, and to stay on topic

yes, I've noticed. :lol:

20. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210
    But your probability of winning "one of those" is significantly higher if you add INTs to the equation. :icon_shrug::icon_shrug:

Why is it considered a bonus when a professional football player catches a ball that hits them square in the hands?

21. IFiredCHart

Ratings:
    +96
    Yeah, I apologize for diverging a bit, but it is largely because I buy into this philosophy: INTs are gravy for LBs and safeties.

Unless your name is Marlon McCree in the AFC championship. :fan:

22. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,412
    It's a bonus because it takes something that's already good (a deflected pass) and makes it even better. (an INT)

That is the pure definition of a bonus.

Like I said, I do not deny the fact that it would be better if they didn't drop them (that goes without saying) but it's not necessarily a bad thing when they do. They're still doing their job of preventing completed passes.

23. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Sorry, but there's nothing "luxury" about picking off a pass that hits you in the hands. Take the Philly game for instance. The Chargers are up 28-9. On third and goal, McNabb throws a pass right to Stephen Cooper who drops and easy INT. On the next play, McNabb throws a TD. Philly went on to cut the lead to 28-23, creating some tense moments in a game that could have easily remained a laugher had Cooper just held onto the ball. Sure, Cooper got his hands on the ball, preventing a completion on that play. But by dropping the INT, he gave McNabb and the Eagles another chance to score. And that was one chance too many. I think the point is that in another situation, a dropped INT like that could end up costing the Bolts a game, maybe even a playoff game. It's a valid concern. The defense has to make those plays.

24. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,412
    Quit twisting my words, guys.

I said complaining about it is a "luxury complaint" (meaning if that's all we have to complain about it's a good thing)

I never called an INT a "luxury" as in to insinuate that they don't really help much and are just nice to have.

25. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,412
    Had the Chargers secondary been doing their job of preventing completed passes the Eagles wouldn't have been in the red zone to begin with.

McNabb shredded our secondary all game long that day. Hardly a valid example.

Look. I'm not saying I'm happy after I see a missed opportunity, but if a defender blocks a pass it's still a good thing even if it could have been better.

26. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    The DB's job is to defend against pass receptions by any means necessary to carry that out. An interception is great and back breakers in critical situations, deflecting or knocking the ball down and stopping advancement of the ball is also good.

It does seem like we miss more than out fair share of pick's compared to other teams. Rivera should make all the DB's sleep with footballs taped to their hands or some crazy thing like that.

27. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    They'd drop those, too. :lol:

• Like Like x 1
  28. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,412
    LVBF's got jokes

29. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Having something foreign in their hands might cause sever mental problems also. Sorry, I didn't think of that. :no:

30. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Yes, they seem to drop quite a few.

Let's move VJ, M80, & Legedu onto the defense - stat. :yes: