1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Anyone else shoot?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by BeerGuy, Oct 25, 2008.

1. Game123

Game123 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +97

Thanks.

I made those when I still had my machine shop a few years back. I now work with UAVs... the ultimate remote killing machines. Can anyone say 'Hellfire missiles'? :flag:

2. Game123

Ratings:
    +97

Clinton's gun control act went away last year I think. They may be allowed to manufacture all the goodies that were illegal under the Clinton act but I'm not sure. I use to be up to speed on those things but not anymore since I gave up my FFL.

3. rexy2006

rexy2006 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,842
    that is one haiRy arm!

sweet watch, though.

4. BeerGuy

BeerGuy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +79
    Other states allow larger capacity magazines. In MA you can buy pre-94 hi-cap mags. I picked up 8 of the old 13 round mags for my 229.

To explain the extent of our laws here in the Bay State, I can't even purchase a Colt .45 unless it's pre-ban. Kahr Arms.....no. Springfield pistols......no. Glock......no. H&K.....no. And the list goes on & on.......:no:

5. WyomingBoltFan

WyomingBoltFan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +312
    I've only shot 50 rounds thru it so far and right now I'm not to accurate. I guess that's why they give you two clips. :lol:

• Like Like x 1
  6. WyomingBoltFan

Ratings:
    +312
    Nice.:tup:

7. WyomingBoltFan

Ratings:
    +312
    That's what I have heard too. Clinton's gun control act expired last year.

8. BeerGuy

BeerGuy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +79
    MA adopted the same regs on the state level and they have no intention of modifying them.

9. WyomingBoltFan

Ratings:
    +312
    That sucks.

10. BeerGuy

BeerGuy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +79
    BTW, when Obama wins next month, you can rest assured that a newer, stricter version of the assault weapons ban will be back..........he makes Ted Kennedy look like a right wing nut job.:tdown:

I'm guessing the ban won't be much worse than what I already live with on the state level. The rest of the country will be up in arms, though, over their trampled freedom.

11. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Yeah, I know a little bit about this; I'm a retired Special Forces soldier and a Vietnam Vet. I was an instructor in a military school that saw SF A Teams, Rangers, FBI, Secret Service and local LEOs come through our doors. I was a Special Weapons and Tactics Advisor to the Saudi Arabian National Guard, who had the responsibility of protecting the Crown Prince. And I'm a Smith & Wesson Armorer.

My personal preference is an M1911A1 that I've modified Pachmyer grips an a Colt Gold Cup trigger, but I kept the iron sights cuz I fervently believe with good sight alignment and trigger control I don't need fancy sights.

So spend your $$$ how you desire, nonea my bidness.

12. Game123

Ratings:
    +97

Then, if you want to be able to obtain those kinds of weapons and/or accessories, you'd want to get an FFL. That's what I did when Reno wiped out Waco. I knew it was just a matter of time before the Libs went after the guns.

13. WyomingBoltFan

Ratings:
    +312
    I have a bad feeling you are right. Joe Biden is just as bad too. That's why I bought the H&K. My son in law just bought a AR-15 and my son is going to buy a full size H&K USP like Thumper has. You have to stand in line at the gun shop to make a purchase so I guess everyone else is thinking the same way.

14. WyomingBoltFan

Ratings:
    +312
    Hey Toby. Is there a set distance the military uses for target practice with a handgun?

15. BeerGuy

BeerGuy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +79
    ....unless it's dark.........:icon_wink:

Thanks for your service to our country.

I like the 1911 platform because I have small hands. I went 9mm Sig to make my wife more comfortable with the recoil. I had a Sig 220 and she was not a big fan of the felt recoil of the .45

Isolating the 1st and 2nd knuckle of the trigger finger is essential to keeping your sights properly aligned. I also had the trigger on the 229 worked over by Bruce Gray at Grayguns. It's smooth as silk and breaks like glass. The TruGlo TFO sites are great in the dark and even better outside under the bright sun. My dad has eye issues so I put them on my pistol to help him out. They are great for an HD gun but I would never carry with them installed. I'm not a fan of standard tritium night sites.

16. Game123

Ratings:
    +97

My wife loves her Sig P230. Easy to shoot as well as it is to clean.

17. BeerGuy

BeerGuy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +79
    I'm just a mall-ninja, but, I practice at 7 yds and 15 yds mostly. Every once in a while I wander down to the 25 yds range, but it's less than practice at that point.

18. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    When I was a pistol marksmanship instructor, we used 25 and 50 meters. Some drills were closer, such as transitioning to targets on the left and right, and of course movement through barricaded and linear type targets.

One of my favorite drills is to have students run 25 meters or so with their soft body amor, then step to the firing and engage targets at 15 meters with a magazine change. The last target is and FBI silhouette with balloons in a circle representing bad guys, and a different colored balloon representing a hostage. The object, of course, is to take out all of the bad balloons whilst leaving the middle balloon alone.

19. WyomingBoltFan

Ratings:
    +312
    A friend of mine has some eye sight issues too so he bought some of those laser grips. He is happy with his accuracy now but on bright sunny days it gets harder to see the dot.

20. WyomingBoltFan

Ratings:
    +312
    Thanks for the info.

21. BeerGuy

BeerGuy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +79
    I have friends that have a hard time keeping all their rounds on a silhouette at 15 yards with a normal, resting heart rate. Forget the mag change, you might as well ask them to solve the Rubik's Cube at that point.

22. BeerGuy

BeerGuy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +79

Yup, the 229 has Crimson Trace grips on it. Again, that's a comfort issue for my wife. I test fired with them at the range to make sure they were sighted in. That's the one and only time I've used them. She feels much more confident with them, though, which is what I care about. I have to say, they are quiet thin and very comfortable/grippy. I think they should make them without the laser. I'd put them on other guns if they did.

23. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Not sure what that means. We always taught, and the Army Pistol Marksmanship Unit concurs, that the pad of the trigger (index) finger should be on the trigger.

Sight alignment is merely concentrating on the front sight and allowing an equal amount of light as the shooter looks through the rear sight, and keeping both on the sme plane.

Extensive training will allow the weapon to become an extension of your shooting arm, even in the dark, if you trust your instincts.

24. BeerGuy

BeerGuy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +79
    Same idea.

I place the pad of the index finger on the trigger, but more towards the end of the finger than the middle of the pad.

What I was unsuccessfully trying to explain was the importance of keeping the lower part of the index finger, from the hand to the middle knuckle, as still as possible. When there's movement in that part of the finger while drawing the trigger backward it has the tendency to push the pistol off line and produce 7 o'clock shooting patterns.

25. BeerGuy

BeerGuy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +79
    ....or was it 5 o'clock?

Either way, it's less than optimal.

• Like Like x 1
  26. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    They prolly wouldn't been invited to our course then. But really, if someone wanted to learn, I could teach them how to shoot.

27. WyomingBoltFan

Ratings:
    +312
    When are you moving to Wyoming? :lol:

28. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Holes at the 7 o'clock position of the target for a right handed shooter means a trigger jerk. The actual firing of the weapon should be a surprise, not an anticipation. A steady mashing of the trigger will satisfy that condition, as well as pushing the weapon with the palm, which generally results in holes in the upper part of the target.

29. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    I require Mexican food 3-5 times a week; could be wrong, but I don't think Wyoming can satisfy that requirement.

30. Game123

Ratings:
    +97
    Basically speaking, if you're right handed and your shots are pulling down and to the right, you're jerking the trigger. The opposite is true for lefties.

• Like Like x 1