1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone hear AJ on 1090 this afternoon?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Electric Chair, Apr 19, 2007.

1. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    He spent 10 minutes giving the usual GM BS, not tipping his hand at anything, not biting on any of Darren and Billy's questions about anything specific, but he did say one thing that I found interesting. Not an exact quote, but he basically said that anyone wanting a DB (S or CB), will have to jump early as there isn't alot of depth in the draft in the secondary prospects coming out.

The team has 111 WR's ranked, and he feels that there is an abundance of talent there (read: don't expect an early WR pick).

He also didn't admit to a lack of talent at safety (or any other position for that matter), but said that the position didn't have any depth currently on the roster. His philosophy is "layering" players. Basically, loading a position up and securing it for years (line 'em up three deep...). Safety is definitely a position in need of talent.

Everything that he said leads me to believe that our #1 pick in the draft WILL be a safety. I think that anyone wanting to draft a WR is going to be bummed come next Saturday in the first round.

2. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    A safety in the first round is ok w/ me.

3. MtlBoltsFan

MtlBoltsFan Jesse Ventura/Howard Stern 2016

Ratings:
    +383
    We will be able to pick up a good WR with our comp pick. AJ made it clear in an interview like 2 months ago that he wants to build the defense. If our offense had the worst WR corps in the league they would still be able to put up 17-21 points a game with LT and Gates. Our defense still sucked last year (PA was horrible) if we go all defense with our first 3 picks I will be happy.

4. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    :tup:

5. Electric Chair

Ratings:
    +579
    I'm never bummed drafting D or OL. :tup:

6. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    D-Line !!!!
    THEN
    O-Line
    Then
    D-Line
    THEN
    O-Line

You get the picture. :bolt2:

A safety would not suck but get me some freaking fat boys to run a goddamnn rolling screen or any fuggin' screen for that matter.

Then VJ will not look like such a freaking wusss with weak side single coverage and may not also find a way to scratch his lung or labia in the process.

7. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    :icon_huh:

8. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    I miss listening to 1090 while I'm driving around. I try to listen to their internet feed when I can though.

9. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    I'm guessing but d-back might be the first pick. Might even be a cb. The question is what do they want to do with florence after this year. CAn they afford to pay him alot next year to keep him.

10. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    Could be the fist two picks anyway. Alot depends on what goes down with turner of course. He has mentioned several times they've got to improve the defense on 3rd downs. Which could mean another pass rusher and d-back.

11. Electric Chair

Ratings:
    +579
    :icon_huh:

Sorry about misleading you with the "GM BS" remark. Since you need some clarification, it was along the lines of "I am not going to get into specifics on naming players, but this is how we see the grand scheme of things". No matter how Billy and Darren twisted the question, he kept telling them that "I won't go into specifics with naming players, that is for our staff in the bunker".

They went into detail about how runs work in a draft, and AJ reiterated that "we have 111 WR's ranked. Many of which that we feel can come in and contribute to whoever drafts them".

AJ isn't a liar from what I have seen. He is a man that chooses his words wisely. From what he said today on 1090, he is looking late rounds for a WR prospect.

FWIW, I would be willing to bet that he goes LB in round two based on todays interview.

I'm just glad that we aren't going to waste a pick on Spurrier WR.

12. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,930
    hey if Robert Meachem is there at 30 that's not a wasted pick on a WR no?

13. Electric Chair

Ratings:
    +579
    Very close to what AJ was hinting at today. :yes:

Rd. 1: DB
    Rd. 2: LB

14. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,555
    Im totally and 100% against that.
    We desperatly need help at WR! And if AJ is to chicken **** to take a risk on one maybe he shouldnt be making this decision!!!

I dont know why he thinks we need an LB that bad! If we really needed one he could have made an offer to get Briggs!

15. Electric Chair

Ratings:
    +579
    Yes, we need to fire AJ based on my assessment of something I heard on the radio. :lol:

16. boltmanbz

boltmanbz Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +86
    has dflo done anything but drop sure int's to afford "alot of money" and anyway i expect him to lose his job to cro this year,cro's first year back on the field was last year and he is the kinda workhorse that wants to prove he is the man..

and on the CB note it was funny i think it was on 1090 this morning they were talkn about how we are like the lions picking their WR every year but for us its CB's

17. ChargerDreamer

ChargerDreamer BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1
    I'd love to see a good safety in the first round, whatever happens I'm fairly confident in AJ getting us a good WR in the first two rounds, someone to help boost the passing game so The Norv doesnt ride LT into the ground. I'm really worried that he'll grind him down. If Frank Gore does anywhere near as well as he did last year I'd be surprised.

AJ is great to listen to though. :) Go BoLTs!

18. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    This is all assuming there is no trade for Turner. With that we get both in the first round, but assuming no trade a safety will do us as well as a WR. I wouldn't even sqawk if we got some line help for the right side in the second.

19. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,555
    Ok, in a perfect world my first 5 picks would go like this....
    19-Meachem WR
    30-Beason
    62-Marten OL
    93-Piscitelli SS
    96-Wright RB

or like this

19- Meachem WR
    30- Nelson/Griffen S
    62-Leonard RB
    93-Piscitelli SS
    96-Wright RB

20. BestInTheWest

BestInTheWest Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +16
    Wtf, the online feed works for you?

I haven't gotten it to work in quite a while. I try at home, or at work, and it hasn't worked. At one point, their listen live link for xxradio would give me audio for a talk show about financial stuff, and now i get nothing.

Sucks, because even though most of the hosts on the station are annoying, they at least concentrate on the chargers around draft time.

21. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,930
    Well hell if we're playing with TWO first rounders
    19 - Meachem
    30 - Griffin
    62 - Woodley
    93 - Tank Tyler
    96 - John Wendling

22. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    All I know is that right now I refuse to believe anything that any GM or Coach says about any player or any position in the upcoming draft. It's all BS as far as I'm concerned. This year I only care that AJ takes the best player available at a position of need. This means that QB and both kicker positions are the only areas he should stay away from. Everything else is fair game.

23. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,555
    It was theoretical. lol

Im not sure about Tank Tyler, theres a lot of character questions about him. And Wendling is flat out overrated, his stats are stacked because he played in a weak *** conference. Piscitelli will make the better pro.

24. Nomadic Bolt Fan

Nomadic Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +334
    Yes, and he has done such a ****** job of building this team! Fire AJ! :icon_huh:

:icon_rofl:

25. cranberry

cranberry BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +195
    strenghten the defense is okay
    WR could be but mustn't. LT, Gates, Jackson, Parker and Floyd
    can catch River's throws.

26. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Where's that "rolleyes" smilie at?? :icon_eek: :lol:

27. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    First of all, thanks EC for posting your recount of the AJ interview.

I tend to agree with Nickel: Most every position is fair game at #30.

I don't think that AJ will pass on a WR who's at the top of his board, just because that position is deep.

28. PhillyChargerFan

PhillyChargerFan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +288
    Alright, here's what I want AJ to do:

at 30 grab Grubbs, Blalock or Posluszny. I don't expect Poz to be there.

In the 2nd grab Beason or Woodley. Remember what happened last year when Shawne and Shaun were out? I want quality depth there.

In the 3rd go grab your WR and S.

29. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    I hope we don't draft a WR in the first, really the only 2 WRs I like in the first are Johnson (no shot of us getting) and Bowe.

If we can't get either I hope we don't reach for one.

There are plenty of good ones we can get later in the draft or in the 2nd round.

Like Jason Hill, Mike Walker, Andre Allison etc.

Some who might slip to the 2nd but probably won't make it to our pick, Steve Smith, Anthony Gonzalez, Sidney Rice.

I don't think at 30 we'll be in position to get a top WR (Johnson, Bowe or even Meachem) or Safety (Landry, Nelson or Griffin).

So I really wouldn't mind BPA, I think it's 100 times better than reaching for need, even if it's at a position that isn't a big need like LB, the only positions I don't see us going in the 1st are RB, QB, and TE any other position is a possibility depending on who is there.