1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone see Merriman on NFL Live tonight

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by boltmanbz, Nov 2, 2006.

1. boltmanbz

boltmanbz Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +86
    i caught the end, and saw that he said he will be working with the NFL and the PA and that the change of him having a lawsuit on the supplement company is very high

2. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,424
    Are there any experts out there that know anything about this whole supplement line that everyone almost always uses when they pop?

Is it actually plausible for someone to pop on roids when all they've been doing is taking supplements?

3. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    he basically said that the suppliments were tainted, he's not a cheater and he's going to keep working to fix this problem even saying the federal govt would get involved. frankly when Trey Wingo asked him about more details of the lawsuit merriman was stumbling. NOw it could be that the lawyer's really the one working on this leaving Merriman alone but frankly that interview did more to muck up his credibility with me then anything

4. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +689
    Yes. A study was done by the some olympic org and they found that a number of supplements contain stuff that is not on the label and that they often contained small amounts some types of steroids.

Someone posted the article in older Merriman roid thread, but I am too tired to go digging for it.

5. exodus

exodus Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133
    I think he was saying that the belt that rolls the supplements along can come into contact from previous substances from a different string of supplements or something like that. Like when a candy bar doesn't have any peanuts in it, but they have to say that they process peanuts in the facility and something may have come into contact. If that makes sense.

I kinda thought he was going to say he was going to go find the real killers or something...

6. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    Sorry, I have a hard time believing that a few specks of Nandrolone would cause Merriman's levels to trigger TWO positive tests.

The UT reported that Shawne tested positive in August:

Originally Posted by Thread_Killer

Well how about my theory that Merriman knowingly used the **** in the offseason, and miscalculated how long it'd stay in his system? He was in the first group of people busted, so it was probably the first test of the season.

Despite that fact that nobody else on this board has come to this conclusion, I still feel this is the most plausible explanation.

7. Carrie1219

Carrie1219 Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +2,022
    Your theory is plausible in that Shawne tested positive on August 2 and and hasn't tested positive since that time.

8. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    What supplements sometiems contain is Andro. Since Andro was a legal substance until June of 2005, though banned by the NFL, a supplement company could hypothetically process a batch of Andro and then a batch of another supplement using the same equipment. The second supplement could then be contaminated with Andro.

While not an anabolic steroid, Andro is a precursor and becomes an anabolic steroid after passing through the liver. Merriman was found to have 19-norandrosterone in his urine--a nandrolone metabolite. Studies have shown that using Andro can also lead to increased levels of 19-norandrosterone.

The only way to know if Merriman's "tainted supplement" defense is possibly valid would be to know the amount of 19-norandrosterone found in his urine sample. For the supplement defense to be legit, the amount of 19-norandrosterone would have to be high enough to return a positive test but low enough that it could possibly be the result of trace amounts of Andro or an anabolic steroid in a supplement. That's a pretty small window. Since the NFL keeps specific information on drug tests confidential, we will never really know if Merriman's "tainted supplement" defense is even potentially legit.

I read somewhere that since 2001, the IOC has had 2000 athletes test positive for nandrolone. Of those 2000, only 6 had 19-norandrosterone levels low enough that they might have tested positive after using tainted supplements. Of those 6, 2 were proven innocent, though both were suspended, 2 more could not prove their innocence, 1 admitted to using nandrolone, and 1 more had Victor Conte of Balco testify as an expert witness at his appeal.

There was a study published by the University of Aberdeen a few years ago that showed a combination of creatine and large amounts of cardiovascular exercise could push the amount of 19-norandrosterone in an athlete's body above the threshold for a positive test; however, scientists have not been able to prove why this would happen.

9. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    One of the things about 19-norandrosterone is that it can remain stored in fat cells for several months. So Merriman could have stopped taking nandrolone in April, had a negative steroid test in June and then suddenly test positive in August.

10. quickontoes

quickontoes BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +3
    He was also on NFL total access.