1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone seen Jacob Hester?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by in_a_days, Sep 25, 2008.

1. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    Yeah I know we handed him the ball to end the half.

But did it catch anyone else's attention when on 3rd and 1 we handed the ball to LT? Wasn't this guy touted as our short yardage/goal line guy? Wasn't the world shocked by his skills after one pre-season game?

Anybody?

2. MountainDew

MountainDew BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +33
    he sucks! who cares:tdown:

3. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    Damn you Mountain Dew! I figured you'd be all over Hester considering you love Chargers that don't put up **** for stats and then get cut, while simultaneously hating on the pro bowlers. :lol:

• Like Like x 1
  4. Gridreaper

Gridreaper BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    ...I mentioned Hester being MIA awhile back, in_a_days. It's not looking like they got the actual value that AJ thought by trading up for him. I guess it's a wait and see thing. In those short yardage situations that you eluded to, he got stuffed a few times in pre-season. Maybe he's not adjusting fast enough to hit a different hole or going over the top instead? We'll just have to wait on him. Puzzling though. I know he hardly ever fumbles, hence getting the ball near their goal at the end of the half. :bolt:

5. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
    who knew Tolbert was going to be THAT good... :yes:

and ****, ya gotta get Mighty Mouse his touches - the dude is dangerous... I'm now singing the K-State fight song... :icon_rofl:

• Like Like x 1
  6. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    Yeah I seen him, he was on the sideline making sure LT's, Sproles and Tolberts Gator Ade cup's were full and properly chilled to just the right temperature. :icon_tease: :icon_rofl:

• Like Like x 2
  7. Drunk

Drunk Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +202
    i seen him at tha corna sto buying 40z

• Like Like x 1
  8. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    Is it really as simple as that? 'Cause that really seems like the case. Tolbert has demonstrated that he can lead block, catch, and run... He's a prototypical FB, but Hester was supposed to present a bunch of different options as an H-back in Norv's scheme.

9. Osmekaman

Osmekaman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +31
    Way too early to tell.....
    But he better turn out to be good.
    We gave up a ton for him.

10. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    I think the protecting currently being afforded by our O-line is about 500x better than what we saw in the preseason. :yes:

I don't think any of our RBs were going to go through the cluster**** piles that Hester was trying to push through in the preseason.

11. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
    I gotta say, the Tolbert/Sproles backfield is impressive... the interviews from the opposition players speaks volumes...

MY BOY AJ did good.... :lol:

12. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210
    marry him

• Like Like x 1
  13. Gridreaper

Gridreaper BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    ...Could be, I wouldn't doubt it.

14. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    He's got to learn to see where the holes are more quickly. Patience and pattern recognition. He's a rookie who has to learn the ropes. People seem to get spoiled by some of the choices that AJ makes in the low rounds or picks up as FA's who roll into town hanging ten. Some have a shallower learning curve than others, but they generally come around. 

15. bigcarson50

bigcarson50 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +54
    I think they viewed him to be a "clean up" type running back early on in his career and add in some more tricky stuff to suit his hybrid HB/FB body size later on.

Right now, I don't expect much more than doing what Turner used to do late in games when we would have a two score lead. I think if we had recovered the onside, you would have seen Hester on that drive.

Let's give the kid at least a half a year.

it also isn't everyday you have a gem like Tolbert just fall in your lap like that.

16. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Yep. He's just not ready yet. But I suspect he'll play a key role down the stretch. Give it some time IAD. White Lightning will flash across the sky soon enough. :bolt:

17. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    I think he will. It's too early to call Hester a bust or anything. It's just that we have a stable of good backs. Hester will get his chance. AJ isn't stupid. Look how great Cason is. Could be the best defensive rookie in the NFL.

18. Osmekaman

Osmekaman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +31
    Don't believe he will be a bust.
    However, he was surely earmarked for the FB duties Tolbert is currently fulfilling. Tolbert and Sproles performances will seriously affect Hester's chances of playing time. LT also wont be giving up any carries in a hurry.

We had killed the Jets and there was LT, still in there late in the 4th.