1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

AP: Brees has surgery on right shoulder

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by ChargerRay, Jan 5, 2006.

1. ChargerRay

ChargerRay Producer/Host of BoltTalk Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +744
    http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/chargers/20060105-2001-fbn-chargers-breessurgery.html

BIRMINGHAM, Ala. – Chargers quarterback Drew Brees underwent arthroscopic surgery Thursday to repair a torn labrum in his right shoulder.

The surgery was performed by noted orthopedist Dr. James Andrews.

The labrum is a ring of tissue that surrounds the end of the shoulder blade and helps stabilize the shoulder joint.

Brees will return to San Diego next week and begin rehabilitation. He is expected to begin throwing in four months and be ready to participate in training camp.

"Though his recovery period is longer than we had hoped for, we couldn't be happier that Drew is expected to make a full recovery," general manager A.J. Smith said in a statement.

Brees tore the cartilage and dislocated his throwing shoulder in Saturday's 23-7 home loss to the Denver Broncos when he tried to recover his fumble and had Broncos tackle Gerard Warren land on him.

The Chargers must decide by Feb. 23 whether to designate Brees as their "franchise" player again and give him a one-year deal worth about $10 million. Brees, who has wanted a long-term deal, played the 2004 season under an $8 million contract as the franchise player.

On Monday when he revealed he would need surgery, Brees said, "I'm of the mind-set, 'OK, this looks bad. But why is this happening? What has God got in store for me? Of all the times for this to happen – with the contract and the last game of the year – why now?' "

"Well, it's because He knows I'm going to come back and I'm going to be a better football player next season."

This will be Brees' fifth surgery as a result of football, most notable among those was to a torn ACL during his junior year in high school.

He said he remembered wondering at the time if he would "ever be the same" and that his playing days might be over. But he came back to lead Westlake High to an undefeated season and the Texas state title.

Speaking of the process of recovering from a major injury, Brees pointed to his head and said, "More than anything, it's up here."

Brees, a smallish quarterback who has often dealt with detractors, has long thrived under the pressure of doubt.

"The kind of person Drew is, I don't think there will be a problem," running back LaDainian Tomlinson said. "Drew is a very hard worker, and he's the type of person that can handle this injury and look it right in the face and come back from it and not have a problem with it."

Brees said he thought Denver's Warren was going for him rather than the ball on the fateful play.

"But anytime you get a free shot at a quarterback I think somebody's going to take it," Brees said.

"It just happened to be that it was kind of a freak deal, just going after the ball and just kind of getting caught up at the bottom of that pile and him coming on me from one area and another guy coming on me from another direction, and my arm just kind of got caught in there."