1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Approval Ratings: Norv Turner

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Feb 20, 2010.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    [​IMG]

I know I'm going to end up hating this poll and the comments below. The statements about Norv Turner that I hear from Chargers fans always make me want to scream. There's something about the guy, and I tend to believe it's the way he's been talked about by the national media, that makes people think he's a bad guy or a buffoon.
    However, there are a good amount of Charger fans that are happy with the job he's done. I happen to be in this group, and I want you to look at a few stats and tell me if you see a bad coach:

• Norv spent nearly 7 seasons as the coach of the Washington Redskins. Considering the team was 4-12 the year before he was hired, we can assume he was brought in to "right the ship" and therefore we can throw out the Redskins 3-13 record in his first season. Taking that out, he finished at an even 46-46 in the regular season (1-1 in the playoffs) in his Washington coaching tenure. Averaging an 8-8 season over 6 seasons (with a team that had been 4-12 when he took over) is not something that a bad coach would do.

• His two seasons in Oakland can be ignored. The season before he took over the team was 4-12 and the season after he left the team was 2-14. As everyone knows, Oakland is a team that lacks talent and does not offer a stable work environment.

• In three seasons as the Chargers Head Coach, Turner has won two-thirds of his regular season games (32-16) and has won the division each season. He is 3-3 in the playoffs with San Diego. Hired to assist in the development of Philip Rivers, the QB's rating has gone from a respectable 92 in 2006 to an unbelievable 105.5 in 2008 and 104.4 in 2009.
    Here's what the above tells me: Norv is not the coach that is going to get an untalented team to the playoffs. There are a few coaches that can do that, albeit inconsistently, and Norv is not one of them. However, as the level of talent on the team improves (from Oakland to Washington to San Diego), so does his success. So as long as you give Norv a team that has the talent to win, he's going to guide them towards fulfilling that potential.

Just my two cents.

Vote as you'd like.

http://www.boltsfromtheblue.com/201.../1318971/approval-ratings-norv-turner?ref=CBS

2. SDDon

SDDon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +7
    I am fairly new to this board, where I came from I was labled the un-official CEO of the Norv Lovers Fan Club. I understand why AJ brought Norv in here, and I think that Norv has done a good job doing what AJ wanted him to do. The injuries his first 2 years late in the season really hurt.

I thought you sumed up his over HC career well in your OP.

I am glad he was extended.

3. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    Have you met NORV4LIFE yet? :lol:

4. SDDon

SDDon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +7
    Yes I have seen his posts. I am glad to have a few other like thinkers on this board. I like his screen name it is kewl.

All in all this board has some good posters who seem to be real hardcore Fans of the Chargers. I wouldn't mind a higher volume of posts on a wider range of topics concerning the Chargers but I will give it some time.

I look forward to talking Charger Football with you and others throughout the year.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Actually, his screen name was NOMORENORV, until he made a bet that Norv would not get this team a first round bye.

Now he is Norv4Life. He is not a big supporter of Norv.

6. SDDon

SDDon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +7
    Well that is more in line with the guys I am familar with on the board I came from. Thanks for giving me the 411, heads up. I will say I have to respect the fact that he honered the bet at all, where I came from they would have just changed there screen name, in fact most posters had multiple names so they could post different thoughts from different screen names.

So Concudan, you are #1 in lifetime posts here, kewl.

7. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    That just means I have a big mouth... errr... type a lot..:lol: Actually BFISA still has me beat.

Norv deserves respect IMO. 3 years, 3 playoff appearances. Nice winning record. Developed PR into a star... What is not to respect?

8. 17Rocks

17Rocks Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +135
    Many fans are so hungry for a championship that anything less is just inexcusible failure. Norv has done much in his years in San Diego to dispel his image as a poor head coach. I am one of those who was against him at first but have grown to like him. I think that he still outsmarts himself a lot and I wish that he was more of a motivational guy, but I do like the way he has brought Rivers along and i think that, given a better running game this year, he would have brought that championship to San Diego. Lets see what "magic" AJ can pull off this offseason, maybe Norv will finally have the deck stacked enough to bring home a Lombardi...

9. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    It doesn't matter what coach we have as long as we still have a kicker missing playoff kicks.

10. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,420
    :icon_rofl::icon_rofl::icon_rofl:

11. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,420
    What happened to not wanting to beat a dead horse on this subject?

Wait, don't answer that. I guess it's ok to beat the dead horse because the facts fit your side of the argument now. :lol:

12. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    Not beating a dead horse.... well maybe a little. :lol:
    Point being is that our coaching is not the reason that we have not won the Lombardi.

13. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,583
    And neither is kicking. :lol:

14. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    I am not upset that he was extended, I do think 3 years was excessive considering how unprepared the team was against the Jets. One year I feel is all he warranted

15. msmith

msmith BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +12
    He can always be fired, i.e. Marty.

16. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    He did. He's taken a liking to LeGarrette Blount of Oregon for the Draft and came on board with "Blount Punch" in literally a carbon-copy of his old profile, but based on Blount. From this platform he insists on trading for Brandon Marshall and drafting Blount "to sock Cromartie in the face." :lol:

17. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +715
    yeah what he said.

18. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    The talk has been about an RB for Cro, but I find swapping those two an interesting proposition. Can't do any worse than Davis.