1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Are the Chargers interested in LB Nick Barnett?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Blue Bolt, Jul 8, 2011.

1. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,401
    Could Nick Barnett end up a Charger?
    July, 8, 2011
    By Bill Williamson

If the San Diego Chargers search for a staring inside linebacker this summer, keep this name in mind: Nick Barnett.

I think the Chargers could show interest in the Green Bay linebacker if he becomes available. There has been chatter around the league that the Packers could either trade or release Barnett. He went on the injured reserve last season with a wrist injury after four games.

Healthy, though, Barnett can still help a team even though he is 30.

I think the Chargers could come into play for the Southern California native if the Packers, indeed, part ways and if the Chargers lose multiple inside linebackers in free agency. Stephen Cooper, Kevin Burnett and Brandon Siler are all free agents. Burnett is the best bet to return. If Cooper and Siler depart, the Chargers – who took Michigan’s Jonas Mouton in the second round – might be served well in adding a veteran.

Matt Williamson of Scouts Inc. said he thinks a potential Barnett-Chargers’ pairing is intriguing.

“He wouldn't be a bad fit at all,” Williamson said. “He’s a very solid football player. He’s experienced in the 3-4 on the outside. I still think he has plenty left in the tank. San Diego’s inside linebacker situation is in such a state of flux, it is hard to predict who he would be playing next to on the inside, but I see him more as a weakside inside linebacker that system.”

Again, we’re dot connecting at this point. But if Barnett joins the open market, the Chargers will likely be on the list of potential suitors for him.

2. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    The Chargers have a lot more $$$$ to spend if negotiations continue on the current track. Burnett and Weddle are going to be a part of that. Barnett could be too (though Burnett and Barnett both play weakside I believe, and the name confusion on the same squad would be ******* criminal). I'd rather them shoot their wad on Asomugha. Yah, I'm dreaming...

3. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    Dreaming?...... more like drunk. How many bourbons have you had tonight? :D

4. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    None.
    Next question? ;)

5. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    Time's a wastin'........ I'm way ahead of you. ;)

6. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    Bourbon. Too damn sweet for my taste.

7. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    Depends on the bourbon. I'm having mine with a ginger beer..... adds a little bite. ;)

8. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    I think that may have been more a product of AJ Hawk's ineptitude to play anything but SILB for the Packers. It's not like Barnett wasn't an effective tackler and run-stuffer when the Packers ran a rather effective 4-3 scheme. Point being, I believe that Barnett has experience at playing both ILB positions while at Green Bay, due to the fact that he was the one moved to the strong-side when Brandon Chillar initially started wrestling playing time away from Hawk and Chillar was the better fit at WILB. He's definitely someone I wouldn't mind having and someone I'd be far more open to trading to acquire than Steve Smith. And I bring up trading for him because... well the Packers may just outright release him due to the way his payout is scheduled and to avoid having to pay his 375K roster bonus and 150K workout bonus within the span of a week if camps start the week after a CBA is agreed upon, but also because if Barnett hits the open market there's definitely demand for him in the form of teams like the Giants, Lions, and Bucs.

9. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Bradie James may find himself available as well.

10. Bergo23

Bergo23 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +22
    I really hope AJ just lasso's our guys (Weddle, Burnett, Siler and even Oliver) they know our D, and it will give them a head start over any other free agent.