1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Are the Chargers of 09 becoming the Saints of 08?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by msmith, Oct 5, 2009.

1. msmith

msmith BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +12
    One dimensional. No running, bad defense, just a great qb with superb passing skills. Rivers might break 5000 yds this year.

2. reddenedbeard

reddenedbeard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +112
    They could end up like the AZ Cardinals of last year who were pretty one dimensional as well.

3. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111
    One difference with the Cards...they could actually generate some pass rush and stop the run....The Saints have a bit of a pass rush too.

Passing yards don't mean chit to me....Rivers was great in the 4th qtr, but a lot of Rivers' yards came with the game out of reach and the defense softened up in a prevent mode....this is how Cutler racked up a lot of his yards last year when everyone was blowing him and voting him into the probowl for no reason. I'll take the efficient passer who makes plays on third down and limits mistakes any day over the guy who just chucks it all over the field.

We need to jump start the runnning game to truly balance out the offense.

Of course....we have even bigger issues on defense...get those worked out first.

4. Skuzzlebutt

Skuzzlebutt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +128
    If I was going to be Polyanna, then I would hope that we are the Colts of 06, who's D looked terrible until the playoffs.

5. reddenedbeard

reddenedbeard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +112
    Big difference there I think is that Bob Sanders returned right around the playoffs. I guess if we start seeing better play out of Merriman as the season goes, then that would be a plus. But he isn't even getting double teamed now.

6. Skuzzlebutt

Skuzzlebutt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +128
    Yeah, like I said, it would be a VERY optimistic outcome, but to your point Merriman isn't playing well. If he can come back to what he used to be then that would be like getting a huge boost, but I don't know if that is realistic...

7. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    I think it's a valid comparison.