1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Are the players looking past Buffalo?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by maestro876, Oct 14, 2008.

1. maestro876

maestro876 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +63
    A 3-3 team shouldn't look past anyone, but our guys have proven that they tend to underestimate perceived "easy" opponents and then act all surprised when that team actually puts up a fight.

Obviously posters on a forum can talk about whatever they want, but whenever I hear player interviews it's always about London and what they're going to pack, what they think about facing Brees, etc.

I wish I could believe our players were mature enough to grow out of this sort of thing, but so far this year they've proven they aren't.

*Sigh*.

2. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    ygbsm :rolleyes2:

3. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Of course they are.

4. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    they better not be

5. maestro876

maestro876 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +63
    What does that mean?

6. TBF

TBF BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +148
    Who said Buffalo was an easy opponent?

7. maestro876

maestro876 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +63
    No one. But they tend to look forward to bigger match-ups.

8. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    You gotts be shittin me.

9. maestro876

maestro876 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +63
    I sincerely hope that they are not looking past them. But we unfortunately can't deny that this team tends to underestimate less than "marquee" opponents. They got caught looking past Oakland and were surprised at the physicality of their defense. They got caught looking past Miami towards the Pats, and assumed that because they were able to overcome the Raiders that they'd be able to just show up and the Dolphins would collapse. No such luck. I really hope they aren't thinking too much about New Orleans and assuming they'll be able to walk over the Bills.

10. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    Well, judging by the news conferences yesterday, all indications are that the Chargers absolutely are not looking past Buffalo. I do think Norv is a little worried about the distraction of prepping for the flight to London, though, because it will just take the team out of its normal routine and bombard them with distractions.

11. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Must be me then, cuz I give the team more credit than that.

jes sayin

12. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    Normally I would too... but I saw how they played against Miami; another team who was coming off their bye week where we had to travel cross-country to face them.

13. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    I'm thinking they wanna redeem themselves from that embarrassment.

14. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

They better not!!!

BTW.. it was cool meeting you at the smoking section!!

15. maestro876

maestro876 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +63
    That would have been totally cool, except it wasn't me. Is there some psycho out there impersonating me? Or do I have a doppelganger?

16. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Actually both but he's from another planet.

17. maestro876

maestro876 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +63
    Seriously though, what happened?

18. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    they are all big right now since they have been inconsistant. Buffalo is a good team so looking past them would be a huge mistake. One im confident they arent making. Its hard enough to keep going cross country to play these teams coming off a bye week.

19. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    OK, I confess... Just my sense of humor.
    Just like when I ask Rexy if she made it home OK last night.

20. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    I don't think this team is looking past buffalo...

21. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    If they do they deserve to get their *** kicked again.

22. hypermikem

hypermikem BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +7
    No I don't think so. I think this team feels like it finally found it's identity this last game where they put all 3 phases of the game together and fed off each other, like it's supposed to be. Sort of like a pitcher that can't throw a strike for **** until he finally dials in on the strike zone, then watch out!:abq1:

That being said, I don't think anyone looks past Buffalo after the way they started out. They had been kicking some serious booty lately. Some power rankings have them as high a #4. How any team can even think about underestimating them is ludicrous. I promise you that the team is not looking past this team. Maybe some fans are?:icon_huh:

23. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    True dat.

I hope that they aren't looking past Buffalo, but I'm also not ready to say that the team has put it all together. Again, I hope so, but one good game doesn't convince me.

IMO, the team should travel east a day earlier than against Miami in order to beat the jet lag. I'd also head over to London ASAP for the same reason. And I'd keep a fairly tight leash on the guys while in London. No drunken debauchery & such. :no:

24. hypermikem

hypermikem BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +7
    Well I think most people would need to see more than one game to proclaim us out of the funk. However, that was the most complete performance of the year so far, and the type of game you can use as a foundation for a winning streak. As far as the London trip, you have to remember that our opponent has to endure the same thing, so all things being equal, I like our chances. To me, being there in person Sunday night, I got the sense, as did a whole lot of people there that night, that the team did indeed act and look as if they've discovered how to play and feed off each other. All three phases. It was a certain body language, and energy they gave off. I think, and I hope I'm right, that they've finally turned the corner.:icon_party:

25. boltmanbz

boltmanbz Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +86
    with buffalo being 4-1 it is impossible to look past them lol, they are 1st place in their division lol

26. ntman68

ntman68 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +139
    They look past Buffalo at their own peril. Marshawn Lynch will carve our linebackers up if they are not prepared.

27. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    He'll carve up Wilhelm prepared or not. I want to see more Dobbins/Siler/Waters & very little of Wilhelm.

28. HughC

HughC BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +21
    I think it's possible there may be a little bit of an emotional letdown after beating New England, but I can't see any of the players looking past Buffalo. They have a bteer record than the Chargers and are in first place. Plus, the memory of the Miami game is still far too fresh to being looking past anybody right now.

29. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    I doubt very much that the team is looking past Buffalo. Now the media? That's another story. After all, the players are only answering the questions they are being asked - most of the questions just happen to be about London vs. Buffalo.

30. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    They better not look past the Bills. Just look what the Fish did to them! I don't think they are. The boys know they better bring it or the Bills will beat them. Don't take ANYBODY lightly. Not the way we are playing this season up and down.