1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Are we better without Merriman?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by szarmes, Oct 3, 2010.

1. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Ratings:
    +37
    Yes I went there. I think that our defense plays better when Merriman isn't in the game. I just think he's lost his step with the injuries and doesn't have as much gas in the tank as the other linebackers who have been waiting to get their shots. Statistically speaking, Merriman doesn't have that much influence when he's playing. But then again, I may be crazy and am thinking this just because our defense was on it today. I'm not trying to attack Merriman either, he is a good player. Never the less, some more food for thought right?

2. Layne

Layne Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +32
    Yes we are....hes mailed it in, Marshall Faulk said it on Scott & BR

3. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    Don't know if we're better defensively because he's not in, I just think the players who are out there are really running Rivera's schemes to perfection and playing solid. The run defense looks great and secondary not too shabby either. Philips looked like a monster today. Who's the "other guy" now....

4. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867
    I'm going to say no. I still think him being out there makes us better and allows others to make plays.

5. BoltFanDC

BoltFanDC Mufflers Are Overrated

Ratings:
    +329
    Not sure I'm ready to say we are better without him...but I like what I'm seeing from the D.

6. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Until Tucker or Applewhite shows they are better than Merriman, then we are better with him in there. But he has not been a difference make for three seasons. If he ever gets healthy, it would be exciting to see what he could do.

7. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    Can we really get Merriman back at 100%? I don't think so.

8. Layne

Layne Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +32
    They both have (applewhite more so)lol....amazing to see after 4 games the Chargers rank 6-7th in the NFL.

Whens the last time any of you have seen that?

9. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    that's the bigger issue

A healthy merriman makes this team a hell of a lot better but who knows when that happens or even if. As such you better prepare to move on without him

10. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,551
    Couple thoughts...

1) We can't trade him because he's not worth anything.
    2) When healthy the guy adds OLB depth with English injured, and can play 3-4 DE for a little extra pass rush.
    3) He's going to come cheap in the offseason, I'd be willing to give him 2.5 mil a year and wait and see if he gets healthy.

I don't think we trade him, its not a move forward.

11. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814

I wouldn't be so sure. Is Merriman one of these guys that thinks they are worth more than they really are? I could see the Jets overpaying for him.

12. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    I can't say the Bolt's are better without him but they sure ain't missing him that much. It looks more like to me that Ron has the defense playing as a unit.

13. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,551
    The Jets are going to have serious issues trying to get other guys long term deals in the offseason including Cromartie, Holmes, Edwards, Pace, Keller etc.... I don't see them overpaying for Merriman just to make us cringe.

Denver or KC might take a shot at him though.

14. Chavez

Chavez Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +37
    Let's not get carried away with our D just yet (though I'm cautiously optimistic). Remember who we've played - KC, Jax, Seattle, and AZ. Not exactly offensive powerhouses. Merriman, while no where near the player he once was is still very good when healthy and is definitely better than Applewhite, Tucker, or English (at this point).

• Like Like x 1
  15. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    This

Great post!

16. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Exactly my point. Until Merriman's replacements start outperforming him, we are not better without him. As for the D, while it's true they have not played any top offenses, they have been very impressive. I think they are definitely improved from last year.

17. sdcfan18

sdcfan18 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +4
    I wouldn't say that we are better, but I think that we can survive without him. Lets me honest with ourselves folks, he is more than gone after this season. This was a freebie that gave AJ and the fans one more year to grade him before having to sign long term. He hasn't been the same since injuries and the suspension. We all know that if AJ feels you can be replaced with the person behind you, you are as good as gone. Ask Jamal Williams how that plays out...