1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Are we overreacting?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Boltergeist, Feb 19, 2007.

1. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111
    Just looking for the positive spin on all of this....for the record, I HATED hearing about the Norv hiring this morning. Rex Ryan was my horse and I'm very bitter about not giving him a shot. I think rumors of our complete demise are pretty overexaggerated however. Here are the positives:

- Continuity of scheme on both sides of the ball. Norv is at least equal and a potential upgrade to Cam calling plays on offense. We won't lose any creativity on this side of the ball and may in fact be better when all is said and done. The Niner fans are certainly disturbed by him leaving after the impact he's had on their offense with Alex Smith and Frank Gore. Ted Cotrell brings a ton of experience as a 3/4 scheme DC and should keep things at least status quo. It's not like the guy has a bad reputation. One year with piss poor talent in Minnesota doesn't make him a bad DC.

- This is a superbowl caliber team in terms of talent and depth. Even losing Dielman isn't going to hurt this team much. The pieces are already in place for another run. Norv was handed the keys to a Maserati / Lamborghini / Porsche like no other new coach has ever been given in the history of this game except for maybe Barry Switzer's Cowboys...and it's close.

- Norv is pretty much a failed head coach...but he's had crap as far as talent...Is what he was given in Washington and Oakland really a good measure? Remember, Bill Belichek was considered a failed HC after like 4 years in Cleveland...and now he's a genius. Shanarat was also a reach of a HC hire for the Raiders...and went on to win Superbowls with Denver.

Just keeping the glass half full.

• Like Like x 1
  2. BlueandGold

BlueandGold The Oracle

Ratings:
    +219
    My post from another thread:

"Here are the things that encourage me -

1. Our team leadership is excellent. Lorenzo, LT, and PR lead from the front and by example. Shawne Merriman also has a bit of that in him, and he's a tremendous motivator on the defensive side. McCree, despite his arguable mistake against the Pats, provides a veteran presence there as well. These player leaders will keep the boys in line.

2. Norv is a master of offense. Cam, his protege, was hamstrung by Marty for a great deal of his tenure, and the Charger O was still one of the League's best. Norv, running a system that he created, now takes the helm of an offense stocked with a ProBowl's worth of players, signed for the long-term, that have been playing in his system since they've played Pro Ball. The limiter might just have come off the Ferrari.

3. No more playoff albatross. This is huge. Despite everything the team and Marty may have said, that perception was destructive. The recent article on Marty "wanting to be aggressive" in the playoffs was telling. If Norv can start '07 hot, and the Chargers rip off 8-10 in a row, all doubts will be gone and the Chargers will once again be a Superbowl favorite without the spectre of a Marty one-and-done hanging over their heads.

Just some positives. God knows I need some right now."

• Like Like x 2
  3. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    NIce post B&G.

4. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    not to mention that speech by both of them was tight

5. MtlBoltsFan

MtlBoltsFan Jesse Ventura/Howard Stern 2016

Ratings:
    +383
    Yes now shut the **** up and enjoy the ride.

PS guys Norv said he isn't afraid to play the young guys and pointed out a few without naming them. I am willing to bet that Cro will be starting this year :abq2: No more Jerry Wilson/Donnie Edwards/Mike Goff bullshit we are going to put the best talent on the field and bench anyone who repeatedly ****s up.. something morty didnt have the balls to do

6. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    I'm still glad Marty is gone. 2004 and 2006 are enough for me.

7. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +689
    My first reaction to hearing the news was NOOOOOOO!!!

But having time think about what is best for the current situation, I am going to have to trust AJ on this one.

People have brought up Rice's negative comments about Norv Turner, but then I have also heard Aikman talk about him in a positive light. I am sure they had Jimmy Johnson's input as well on this matter.

Also, if the players are happy with the hires of Tuner and Cotrell, then that is for the better as well. Having continued continuity in the Offensive and Defensive schemes is a big plus.

8. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +689
    Norv mentioned in the interview that he had spoken to Dielman. Not saying that Norv is going to have a major impact on him staying with the Chargers, but it is a plus to know that Dielman is still around the facility.

9. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Yes I am over reacting. DAMNIT!

10. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    I'm just falt out pissed with lots of reason to be!!!

Norv sucks really really bad but I can always hope!:no: :no:

11. rexy2006

rexy2006 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,842
    :yes: :yes: :yes:

12. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    It weird for me to be on the other side of the fence on this one.

I expected to be PISSED but I'm really not. After listening to Norv, Dean, Ted, and AJ, I feel this was the best/safest move.

If AJ says Norv is alright, then I'll accept that. Now let's go win that f'n Lombardi already.

13. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +689
    :yes:

I didn't like it at first, but after reading comments from people who have played for him like Aikman I am OK with the idea.

Now I need to go read up on Cotrell.

14. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

I'm trying to overcome the negativity but this is like getting psycked about seeing Rosie O'Donnell in Playboy!!!:icon_eek:

:puke: :puke: :puke:

15. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,584
    Christ...and I just finished dinner! Don't make that visual again please!!!:icon_eek:

Right now I'm in wait 'n see mode. If Norv decides to go for it on 4th & 11 vs. a 47 yard field goal, then I'll run onto the field and personally kick his ***.

• Like Like x 1