1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Are you comfortable with.......

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by AnteaterCharger, Apr 23, 2010.

1. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Carpe Diem et omni Mundio Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +3,016
    your starting defensive line consisting of

Luis Castillo (hasn't done much since receiving a huge contract)
    Ogemdi Ngawbuo (undersized DL scrub who didn't stop anyone in his time at NT)
    Jacque Cesaire (situational guy at best)

with the following people backing him up

Ryon Bingham (injured numerous times, too small to be NT, was scheduled to be started LDE last year)
    Vaughn Martin (still very raw but lots of potential)
    Ian Scott (journeyman but an ok one)
    Alphonso Boone (journeyman to be polite)
    Travis Johnson (rotational undersized NT at best)
    Antonio Garay (scrub the GM has fallen in love with)

Is that a good line at ALL?

And for those who say yes, is such based on
    1) Assumption that one more year will improve them
    2) Assumption that AJ wouldn't let this be the starting line
    3) Assumption that now that they are healthy they will be good
    4) Some combination of 1, 2, 3

And yet I'm thought of as absurd because I think a talented rookie NT and/or a talented rookie DE would make a clear weakness an area of strength.

2. ChargerRay

ChargerRay LA Chargers Suck! Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +953
    We're going to have to be. AJ, Norv and Ron seem to feel like what they have in place is good enough. They started out with a lots of injuries, but eventually found a rotation that was effective especially in the 2nd half of the season. Add a healthy Bingham and another offseason in Rivera's defense and I think that they will be improved.

Also a healthy Merriman will hopefully make a huge difference with the pass rush. Concerns are still with the SS position and CB opposite of Jammer.

3. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Carpe Diem et omni Mundio Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +3,016
    Does anyone beyond these three individuals (and frankly I think it's just ONE person behind the scenes) think that what we have could stop the rushing attack of any decent running team?

4. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,591
    I think we could stop a middle of the road rushing team, but a legit NT is needed to take the next step.

That said I think our offense HAS taken the next step with the addition of a feature runningback. Teams are going to have to pass to keep up with us, and in that respect I can understand going with smaller more pass rush oriented D-linemen.

5. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +3,016
    Yeah, worked well against the Jets and the Steelers didn't it? I mean that high powered offense meant both teams abandoned their running games........right?

6. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,591
    NT is the key to the 3-4 defense, and I think its obvious that AJ didn't consider Dan Williams a true NT, and wasn't sold on Terrance Cody and his high bust potential. I am dissapointed Troup went so high, I think he's an AJ guy, and thats a move up AJ would have made if he had started to fall.

Something we lack is smart LB's, and we added a cerebral instinctive ILB today. He will help out covering TE's and RB's out of the backfield. He is known for making a lot of plays in the backfield.

7. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +5,058
    Damn Ant, I hope you have someone with you at all times. Dont go near the Coronado Bridge.

Crimeny, the way you talk you would think we had a losing season last year. You need to get some perspective man...

8. Brundlefly

Brundlefly Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +370
    We switched after being embarrassed against Pitt, and the Jet's did not run all over us.

9. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    They did run over Weddle, though! :icon_evil:

10. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +650
    hey counseler, what's the term of making a bias question? leading the witness? anyway, to answer your question, yes, which means I'm not writing the season as a waste but would like / would've liked a NT drafted

11. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    I am very comfortable Where the Chargers are in regards to the Defense.

I am as well the same with the Offense.

My uncomfortableness is in the Special Teams if we need a Field Goal to win a Game. I thank we need to consider a Kicker sooner than Later to kick our Field goals.

My odd thought as well is I think all of our Picks will be signed well before Training Camp Starts. As well I think we will be better prepared for the season and have a faster start than in seasons past.

12. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,613
    ...but only after running right by the Octodad (AKA, Cro).

13. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +3,016
    I'm crossing a hostile witness councilor, leading questions are permitted on cross.

But if you'd prefer non leading questions then note every player I just listed, ask "are you comfortable with them starting and/or playing a major role? and if so why?"

I don't think its a season wasted, clearly, but I see it as wasted draft picks and hubris

14. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Ratings:
    +37
    I'd be comfortable if we come away with Cam Thomas

15. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,591
    I could live with that. I don't love him as a player but he's the only NT prospect left on the board.

:lol: watch AJ will take a player out of left field, like Martin Tevaseu from UNLV or Ekom Udofia from Stanford. Both have the size to play NT, but are completely unheralded players. We'll hear later on that one of them benched 40 reps at a pro day nobody went too.

16. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,460
    Would my being comfortable or uncomfortable with it change the situation?

17. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +815
    Why do you care if I am comfortable or uncomfortable? :lol:

*Ask me about our kicking game*

18. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +446
    To be honest....I am completely uncomfortable with this line.

But I am tired of posting this on here, and listening to the same rebudles about Mathews and the picks...yada yada yada.

It's another year where we trade draft picks and end up with more offense and a **** defense.

This season isn't lost because we will score more than most people....Until we have to play the Jets again, and they shut our offense down and run the ball right down our throat.

But hey we upgraded marginally at the RB position so this team is prime for a super bowl run.