1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Article about the Chargers linebakers

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Thumper, May 25, 2008.

1. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    Good read about our linebacker situations. Waht are your thoughts about this article?

2. WyomingBoltFan

WyomingBoltFan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +312
    Artcile about the Chargers linebakers

A good read. Man am I glad we acquired Smith. Our linebackers are very good, our secondary should be one of the best in the league. My main concern all along has been Jamal Williams. Hopefully he has one more good year left in him.

• Like Like x 1
  3. MtlBoltsFan

MtlBoltsFan Jesse Ventura/Howard Stern 2016

Ratings:
    +383

Derek Smith is a poor player and they wanted to kill him in San Francisco his last few seasons. He's nothing more than a mediocre backup.

4. Shamrock

Shamrock Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,243

Waters healthy, happy and ready to compete - Chargers.com

SILB = Mike = Cooper
    WILB = Mo = Wilhelm
    SOLB = Sam = Merriman
    WOLB = Will = Phillips

Ms. Cattano seems pretty sure that Smith will be the starter. I think Waters will push him, and might claim that spot next to Wilhelm before the season.

Smith as the signal caller? I'm not sure about that one either. Wilhelm was supposed to call the defensive plays last year, but got hurt in preseason, then re-injured early in the season. That gave Cooper the opportunity to do the signal calling job, and SD just stayed with it for the rest of the year.

Also, in the nickel formations late in '06, it was Wilhelm getting playing time. Cooper had done it early in the year. Last year's mini-camp had Wilhelm as the every down ILB, but again, his injury changed that and opened the door for Cooper to retain the three down ILB role.

Moving forward, I don't understand why people (posters, Ms. Cattano) would assume Cooper's backup would take on the roles he held last year. Wouldn't the more logical choice go to Wilhelm, who was slated for that before his injury in '07? Why would SD want Smith as the everydown ILB when he's been labeled as limited in pass coverage? Wilhelm is far more fluid than Smith, and more than likely will be the three down ILB for at least the first four games.

I'd think Smith (if he holds off Waters for the starting "Mike" job) would be no higher than the third choice for the green dot helmet on defense. Wilhelm and Weddle are probably the first two choices.

5. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467

I have to agree about Smith. I have several friends that are 49er fans and they've all told me how terrible he was with the niners.

6. mandude

mandude BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +59

I have heard it was something to do with an eye injury. Hopefully it will be resolved.

7. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Waters >> Smith

Mr. Waters is gonna take TC by storm. Coop may have a very hard time getting his job back. Smith will add depth, nothing more. Lookj out for Jyles Tucker, too. the kid's got game, should be in a lot to put pressure on the QB's on passing downs.

I see Weddle wearing the green dot.

8. Rainman

Rainman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +126
    You see Weddle quarterbacking?

9. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    The defense - sure.

D & O each get one this year.

10. cranberry

cranberry BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +195
    Looks like a real awesome LB crew. Doesn't matter when Derek Smith is only depth player. I wish Stephen and Anthony the best. They can be starters.

There's always the possibility of an injury, so the "second" string man steps in. To continue the 3-4 is necessary to have a strong nose tackle. If Brandon McKinney has to carry the load, there has to be a good inside crew.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Smith had eye surgery to an injured muscle. That surgery can take a full year to recover from and recovery can be complicated when three hundred pounders are going upside your haid. That said, I would suspect that AJ exercised due diligence in the physical and that we might have a guy whose problems were solved and fell into our laps. We'll know soon enough.

12. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210

With the playing time and success that Dobbins and Tucker have had I see Smith as an insurance policy.

13. 31-last2years-4

31-last2years-4 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +5

I thought you were going to post a copy of the mitchell report!!!
    :icon_rofl:

14. Zeus

Zeus BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +83
    I know people might call me a San Diego Hommer, and that I hope for the little guy, but I hope to see Applewhite make in onto the Roster. I know he can make the PS no problem, but I can see him on the team. Maybe get rid of Dobbins and get one extra OLB since there was mention of using 3 OLBs on some blitzing plays.

15. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
  16. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    No worries, that got that on video tape for you......

17. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    I think somebody snagged him (Applewhite) off the PS, but I'm not sure.

18. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    I believe I hold the minority opinion here.

But I DO NOT like Carlos Polk. He's a good special teamer, but not a great one. And with all the talent we have at the position I wouldn't be the least bit upset to see him kicked to the curb.

19. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    He's still on the team, you may be thinking of Roach?

Applewhite looked good in camp last year.

20. NW Bolt Fan

NW Bolt Fan BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +3
    Something's got ta give. I suppose it's possible we keep 11 LBs on the roster... 1. Merriman 2. Phillips 3. Cooper 4. Wilhelm 5. Harris 6. Tucker 7. Smith 8. Waters 9. Siler 10. Dobbins 11. Polk

21. Zeus

Zeus BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +83
    I saw him in mini-camp and he looked better than last year, much improvement on how he handled himself. He has a very good bullrush and runs with a lot of speed and power. As someone mentioned on another forum he runs as if the QB just killed his mother.

He gets fooled by some very good hand moves, but when squared I saw him push the Tackle back. He did very good in one on ones and when he was lined against rookies he dominated the guy we picked up in the 7th round. In fact he was double teamed a lot during the drills.

22. Zeus

Zeus BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +83
    • Like Like x 1
  23. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    I'm with those who aren't completely sold on Polk. Dobbins has to step us this year, period, so yes, I was glad Applewhite made the PS and I would be happy an Aztec makes the squad. I suspect we'll need one to replace Kassim.

24. Shamrock

Ratings:
    +1,243

... and looked like crap in the preseason.

25. Shamrock

Ratings:
    +1,243