1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Article: Chargers Draft: If I Were A.J. Smith.

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Big Bolts, Apr 21, 2008.

1. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    Classic :lol:

2. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I like the last line best. :tup:

I /m thinking more & more that we trade down if we find a reasonable partner. Atlanta still looks like the most likely candidate to me. A high second could still land a good OL like Baker, Nicks, possibly even Duane Brown, although that's a bit of a reach for him.

3. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    I disagree with the lack of a glaring need. The Chargers absolutely need depth in the O Line. I have hopes for Erik Robertson at guard and he and Murczkowski provide some depth. They are at the present time most likely better that what we will get in the lower rounds at the position. Either Cletis Gordon or Paul Oliver will be quite adequate at nickel, as would steve Gregory. The two positions we need as a priority, depending on available talent at our drafting positions, is an RT and another back up lineman-Oben's days are numbered. We absolutely need more bodies to compete for the Fat Boy roster. Beyond that, a running back. So, if we do rotate out of the first round, I would pick two O Linemen on the first day, depending on whether or not value can be had in the third round (likely), but the round two would be a lineman, period, Unless a running back of above round 3 ability were to fall to us in the third (unlikely), I pick a lineman there, too. I am not as impressed with the depth of RB talent in this draft as some. Beyond for McFadden and Stewart, nobody shows the speed MT or the instincts to compensate for a lack of that speed, and guys available in round 5 won't be much of a step down.

4. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
    often times, the comments by the readers are better than the article itself - this one is no exception.... :lol:

by John from 1 day ago
    You know I don't like him, but I cannot argue with his success
    Smith will have another good draft...and the Chargers will finally get to the Super Bowl. There, I said it.

by Umer from about 17 hours ago
    I agree with this article. I think that NT is a glaring need because of Jamal Williams ailing knee troubles and his age. I don't think that CB is a major need because we have a beast in Cromartie and Jammer is also developing for ex his performance in the AFC Championship. RT and back up running back are possible needs.

by Skiez from about 2 hours ago
    Umer, ummm...Are you Raiders? your comment sounds like Chargers fan. Just curious!

:icon_rofl:

and Retired - I believe Oben did...

5. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    Considering this draft has some good rb's and o-tackles that will be available in the 2nd through 4th round it makes alot of sense to trade down. Trading out of the 1st round to land a 2nd and 3rd rounder would be like stealing candy from the rest of the league. I'm a praying it is possible. As Buddy nix mentioned. "Yah got to a have a partner to dance with".

6. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    I wonder if AJ is dickering with the Fish for our first since they have already signed Long. They might bite on another chance to draft an RB or another O Lineman.