1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

A's Gabe Gross' amazing catch robs Tigers' Gerald Laird of homer

Discussion in 'All Other Sports' started by Johnny Lightning, May 31, 2010.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Feb 7, 2006
    By David Brown
    Sun May 30, 2010

Trying to change his luck, Gerald Laird changed his uniform number.

As Oakland Athletics outfielder Gabe Gross demonstrated, sometimes there's more to it than that.

Gross made an incredible leaping catch against — and over — the fence at Comerica Park to rob the hit-starved Laird and the Detroit Tigers of a home run on Saturday night.

This was no petty larceny. It is one of the best homer-saving catches you will ever see.

"I've taken homers away," Gross said, "but that's the best one I can remember. They don't come around very often."

Neither do hits for Laird. Since joining the Tigers before the 2009 season, Laird has been a stabilizing influence on defense. His bat, conversely, has been meek. Laird hit .225 with a .626 OPS in '09 and went into Sunday batting .154/.235/.231. A .231 slugging percentage!

I might change my number, too. My number, my batting stance, possibly my profession. However, before giving up, one must try every plausible solution.

That's why Laird made a deal with batting coach Lloyd McClendon and went from No. 8 to No. 12, increasing his digital power by half. McClendon, not wanting any part of Laird's No. 8, now wears No. 19."Just changing it up," Laird said. "That's all I'm doing. Maybe my luck will change a little bit."

Laird really needed to double-up and escalate to 16. One problem with that. But first ...

Probably to his credit, Laird gave no reaction after the grab, which came in a scoreless tie the A's would later take 6-0. On the inside, he had to be thinking, "You've got to be kidding me, %*#&$!"