1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

As we approach Week 17..

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by SuperCharger92, Dec 25, 2012.

1. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +636
    The end of the Norv Turner & AJ Smith era is near. In about a week from now we will be hearing from Dean, on either the 3 year extensions he's giving both these underachievers or the firing of these boso's. I don't think anybody is more excited than me for BLACK MONDAY in the NFL. Anybody else with me or am I just crazy?

2. BoltFanDC

BoltFanDC Objects In Mirror Are Closer Than They Appear...

Ratings:
    +295
    Think Chief, Bill, Jet and Eagle fan might take issue with that

I'll let the evidence speak for itself here ;)

3. Moses

Moses Yeah Buddy!

Ratings:
    +276
    You know, it's kind of a funny situation really.

Most of us aren't concerned with the upcoming game so much, nor so much into the impact a win or loss has on our drafting position.

Every single one of us is dreading the slight possibility of Norv or AJ keeping their jobs.

If both do get fired, we'll then be cringing at the possibility of Deano somehow hiring an even worse candidate.

Good times...

4. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    part of the reason for the bold is that it's most likely only going to move us 3-4 spots, and the best players are likely to be off the board regardless of whether we pick at 9th or 13th.

It's possible that a loss and a series of Christmas miracles could push us down to the 6th spot, but I don't think anyone thinks there's a chance that we lose to the Matt Leinart or Terrell Pryor led Raiders. Our "W" against the Jets last week basically eliminated our chances of getting 3 starters from this coming draft, and pushed it back to a probable 2 unless we get Mouton-ed again.

5. Heir Coryell

Heir Coryell BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +28
    I was wondering if it was just me ......I am genuinely in a good mood re: black monday. This team needs some fresh blood. I'm already looking forward to next year. Franchise QB, young defense, and no Norv.......arrow pointing up.

....just draft lineman....think you can handle that, young Spanos?

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Moses

Moses Yeah Buddy!

Ratings:
    +276
    I'm not so sure I agree with just drafting linemen. Imagine if we end up drafting behind Detroit and Philly, who both take OL with their pick, we then sit at say 10th or so for the sake of the discussion.

If there isn't a premier OT available do you reach to take the next one? There is a chance that a top level CB like Dee Milliner may be around at 10, and that's an area of need too.

I'm not arguing at all that OL isn't the greatest area of need that we have, but with the first round the needs of teams ahead of us is likely gonna be a factor in who we can pick.

7. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +837
    I would even go as far as saying, If Luke J(too early to think how to spell his last name) and Taylor Lewan are gone but Damontre Moore is still there, he's a guy I wouldn't pass up. Depending how this draft kicks off determines where players fall. If everyone continues the trend on QB's then we can sit PAT and wait for Lewan to fall to us.

8. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +636
    Agreed, if Moore falls to us, take him. But also depends what we do in FA. If we re-sign Barnes AND Phillips then we don't have to take an OLB til the later rounds, 3rd or 4th.

I think if we are picking 12-16, we must trade up to draft Lewan. He is the closest thing to Dielman, to match that toughness we once had on the left side. Along with Troutman and Dombrowski coming back, we should get a real boost on that side of the OL. Also getting Lewan would give us that aggressiveness we once had with Dielman.

Imagine, Dielman is at home, retired from football, sees how brittle Philip has looked this year in the pocket, dials up Spanos and says "I'm thinking about coming back." Now I know his family and health are MUCH more important, but I'd wet my pants on the possibility of having Lewan and Dielman on the same side. For now, I won't hold my breathe, because its unlikely to happen. But just think about it..

• Like Like x 1
  9. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,919
    [​IMG]

10. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    BOLD: We have so many holes that this isn't even remotely practical.

Red Drugs have negative consequences for your perception of reality.

11. SayOw

SayOw BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +49
    This is my major concern at this point.

If they both are fired, then my attention does turn towards the coaching & gm search and then the draft.

12. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,919
    I'm more worried about the possibility of McDaniels being the next HC than I am Norv still being here next year, and I doubt the former happens either.

13. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +3,482
    I'm more concerned with Dean Spanos still being the owner, and still having no clue of how to run an NFL franchise.

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,073
    Yeah, SC92, I'm afraid I have to wholeheartedly agree with Ikeman here. There is no Jake Long or Joe Thomas in this draft class of OT's. Lewan has holes in his game that need correcting as much as the next guy - and you don't mortgage the farm to trade up to get a guy with major holes in his game unless he's just plain raw (and that's not the case with Lewan).

I'm also, the more and more tape I watch, seeing less of a majorly discernible difference between Eric Fisher and Lewan as prospects. Maybe the post-season stuffs (e.g. combine, etc.) change that, but for the moment Fisher has as much, if not more, good tape as Lewan does.

There are a number of prospects that could/would be available I'd sooner select at #10-13 rather than trade up (at the cost of a minimum of a 3rd and possible a 2nd since we'd be trading into the Top 10 picks - where a team traded away a 3rd to move up a whopping one selection in the order last year) for Lewan: Moore, Werner, Roby, Milliner (unless he underwhelms in positional drills), even what would probably conceived as a slight reach on Fisher (I'd prefer to make a slight reach for a quality prospect than trade away the farm for an only marginally better one). What I'm scared to death of is that Spanos will exercise some sort of "preference for the more marketable prospect" as opposed to for the greater need/quality player and we'll end up spending a Top 10-15 pick on Te'o.

15. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,919
    Well, yeah, but that's something that's not going to change anytime soon so there's no point in getting upset or in a frenzy about it.

16. MrNafta

MrNafta BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2
  17. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,482
    But it's certainly something to temper one's enthusiasm regarding any changes that the team will make.... #imjustsaying

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,919
    I don't know. As little confidence as I have in Spanos as an owner, even he is not stupid enough to bring Norv back under this much pressure and only one year left of the contract to eat.

It does temper any excitement I'd have regarding AJ or him not replacing Norv with, say, McDaniels. But I'd bet real money Norv is gone after this year. Way too much pressure from any and everywhere pressure on an owner to pull the trigger can come from.

19. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,482
    Don't for a minute think that Norv is the worst we could do, there are worse candidates out there. And Dean, is just the guy to find them. ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Holy_Bolt

Holy_Bolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +362
    Perfect scenario: We Kick the Raturds freaking butts, and both Norv and AJ get fired within 24 hours after the victory! What a great end to a long year! Keeping my fingers crossed!
    :raiderssuck:

21. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,375
    And that's what Redskins fans thought about Daniel Snyder. If you think we have (had) it bad with Norv, I don't know how Redskin fans made it through the Jim Zorn era (error). Then Snyder hired Shanahan and took a step back. They are now one game away from the NFC East title.

22. Holy_Bolt

Holy_Bolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +362
    This is a good example of why I'm going to be very pleased when the Bolts move on from the AJ/Norv era. We are not getting any better with AJ and Norv at the helm, so the Bolts must make a change...it may not work out right away, but "Destiny is no matter of chance. It is a matter of choice: it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved.” so it is time to move on; the road may be bumpy, but at least the Bolts won't be sitting around in a continuing state of decay year after year!

23. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +636
    First of all Ikeman, I said IMAGINE, sorry if your inconsiderate brain doesn't hold this thing people call an imagination.

Anyways, yes I know Lewan has flaws in his game. Ex, dumb penalties and footwork. But, he has that killer look in his eye. Something Dielman brought to the table here. Now, do we draft a guy just cause his relentless attitude is Dielman like? Heck no. But this is what this current offensive line is missing. I swear looking at Harris, Green, Clary, etc. they all look like a bunch of pansies out there. I swear when Dielman was here he made that entire offensive line mean and gritty.

And when I meant trade up, I meant a few spots. I doubt Lewan goes top 6 or 7, so were looking at 8 or 9.

If we were picking at 13, I'd trade back a few spots gain a few picks if were gonna bank on Eric Fisher. I see him going in the 17-20 range.

24. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,721
    I assume you're talking about John Spanos, because I don't think Dean has ever really interfered with football operations...almost to a fault, I could stand with him being a little more demanding as an owner. If we release Gaither (taking the cap hit) I think we have no choice but to go OT...and to be clear I think its 99.86% certain that Gaither will be released.

Any amateur football fan knows this team begins and ends with Philip Rivers, and as much as I like Milliner, Werner, Moore etc... I can't even conceive of our front office making a move in the first round that isn't intended to improve our pathetic offensive line even if it is (to my utter disgust) taking an OG at 13.

Oh, Fisher > Lewan. Regardless of competition.

25. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    We don't have the assets on the roster to be able afford to trade up in the first, second, or third rounds. This kind of idiocy, combined with frequent misses when we have traded up, is the reason why we have so many talent black holes. Drafting one player is not going to fix the line if it means that we lack the ability to draft a second lineman in the top 3, or that we can't invest in a CB/OLB to improve our pass defense to a point where it's capable of stopping teams with QBs and receivers.

26. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,073
    Well then there's some figmental person or mindset that's caused us to not pick a 1st round OL (despite great need in a number of years) since 1985. For the record, that's 1985... well, well before John Butler and AJ Smith ever came to this club. The only constant over that period is the Spanos family (and Dean who started working in professional capacity for the franchise in '84 (didn't take over as Team President until '94).

It seems to be a widely accepted belief on here that the Spanos family are more content to run this franchise as a business first and a competitive entity secondly. Well... big, fat guys that don't rack up sexy stats like sacks or jarring QB hits aren't exactly the most marketable players. They certainly make your team better and by effect other players more marketable, but there appears to be a trend that this club since the Spanos family purchased it has no desire to invest premium picks in players at positions that aren't high marketable.

It's funny, cuz you say you can't conceive of a situation in which our front office doesn't use the 1st round pick to bolster the OL. I look at the past nearly 20 years of data since current ownership took over and I see no reason for such confidence. This isn't the first time our OL has been terrible in that period. Nor is it the first time we would potentially go into the draft with a major need at the most premium of OL positions (LOT).

Sorry, but this ownership group has given me beyond no reason to put blind faith in them to act in a certain manner opposite their very heavy trend, which is what going against every shred of data save for a one 2nd round pick (McNiell) and one early 3rd round pick (Hardwick) indicates.

27. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,919
    Pretty much what I was getting at when I brought up McDaniels.

Despite my posts in the other thread on the subject Josh McDaniels is the last guy I'd want and I think I'd rather keep Norv over him. I think, of the names I've seen thrown around (regardless of legitimacy) the only person I'd take McDaniels over is Mariucci. (I'd also take him over some unheard of scrub with no real worthwhile experience if you want to be technical)

28. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,482
    If Canepa is to be believed, then you can forget about any of the hot college prospects...... it'll be one of the NFL retreads.

29. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,073
    Since when is Canepa credible for anything other than pontificating and complaining though? Even if his complaints are sometimes what a number of us are thinking (extrapolated to the Nth degree, perhaps) I've yet to see the guy cite a source, let alone a credible one. Thus Canepa's really a glorified blogger with a larger forum.

• Agree Agree x 1
  30. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,919
    I'm not against every possible retread out there, so that doesn't guarantee a dumb hire in my opinion.