1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Asante Samuel on the Trading Block

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by SuperCharger92, Mar 25, 2012.

1. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 Winners Win

Ratings:
    +942
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000...-on-trading-block-?module=HP11_headline_stack

Should the Chargers take a chance here? Asante is defiantly a hell of a player. But he is due $9.5M in 2012 so I think as far as the Chargers being contenders is out of the question.

Wonder where he'll end up. Wouldn't be surprised if he lands in the AFC West though (Raiders, Broncos or Chiefs)...

But New England did clear up a whole lot of cap, wouldn't be too surprised is he's back in NE.

2. Skuzzlebutt

Skuzzlebutt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +128
    If he is cut, then bring him in for a look. Otherwise, no chance at that salary.

3. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    Salary wise, I absolutely wouldn't. But if he was cut, I'd grab him and cut Cason in a heartbeat

• Like Like x 1
  4. Joy Division

Joy Division Slightly-known Member

Ratings:
    +542
    Cut Cason? Why? Because he's a starter? Because he's only 25 years old? Because he had a bad year?
    Asante Samuel is 31. He's on the wrong side of the hill.
    Antoine Cason is still climbing the hill. Yeah, lets give up on him he hasn't made the probowl in his first
    couple of years.
    Remember all the "let's cut Jammer talk"?

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210
    Ha! Yeah... people used to pee themselves about Jammer. Hordes of fans everywhere just walking around with wet pants.

As much as I think AJ has made some questionable moves in the past, I'm still glad fans have no say in cutting/trading players.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,412
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  7. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    Because he's been the most inconsistent player, at least Jammer has had a number of good years. Cason has good year then bad year then good year then bad year. I would note that Samuel hasn't been that at all, much like jammer he has been effective consistent.

8. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    No way, I'd cut Jammer if Samuel comes in. At most he's got 1 good CB year left where as Cason still has upside.

That said I probably wouldn't bring in a 31yr old CB to begin with.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. boltfanatik

boltfanatik Toxic Minority Member

Ratings:
    +112
    Only if he'd settle on a cheap 1 year deal. Otherwise I say no

10. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +942
    That Eagles team had a terrible scheme last year. SO BAD.

Jammer will be 33 Samuel just turned 31. I would do Jammer for Samuel in a heartbeat. Samuel isn't the tackler Jammer is but look at the passes defended and career interceptions..
    http://www.nfl.com/player/asantesamuel/2505472/careerstats

this guys a ball hawk.. I'd probably move Jammer to safety and bring Samuel in. What a bunch of DB's we would have with Samuel, Cason, Weddle, and Jammer.

But of course this is all fun and games, PLEASE DO NOT TAKE ME SERIOUS. :roflmao:

11. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,412
    I think you're being generous by giving Cason more than one good year....... #imjustsaying ;)

12. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +942
    Cason has a lot of potential left. he has over 200 career tackles, 44 pass defended - 17 in '11 and '10 and 10 career INT's. His first 4 years in the league, isn't too shabby..

His best year came in the Rivera era of course in 2010.. I think he'll have a bounce back year and he did show flashes of what he could be last season.

13. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,931
    But that's just it, most of those came in 2008 & 2010 when he played well. 2011 & 2009 he barely registered a blip on the radar. Trade that crap out for a consistent ball hawking corner? Hell YES!

14. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    How much was Cason's play affected by the QB having 6 seconds per play to wait for a receiver to get open or Manusky having Cason play 15 yds off the ball on every snap?

I would give him a pass on last year. The defense was bad, and although we had bad starters in key positions, I don't think CB was one of them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Joy Division

Ratings:
    +542
    In 2008 and 2009 he played behind Cromartie/Jammer. He started in 2010 and had a pretty good year and things were looking up. Then, and this may just be a coincidence, we hired Manusky as the D-Coordinator and Cason looked lost and actually lost his starting job for one game, but won it back the next week. Manusky is now gone, so we'll see if Cason looks like the 1st rounder that we had in mind when he was drafted.

Let's also not forget...who picked off Palmer's last pass attempt to keep the Raiturds out of the playoffs? ( yeah I know, he should have just batted it down, but either way, it iced Oakland).

-We can't have every NFL cornerback in camp...

16. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,412
    Why is it that the Chargers only draft 1st rounders that take 4 years to develop?....... where are our immediate impact players? :confused:

The Chargers' player evaluation sucks big time...... to put it politely. ;)

17. Joy Division

Ratings:
    +542
    Maybe...or maybe it's the "developers" who suck big time.

18. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,412
    Huh?........ Vaughn Martin knew next to nothing about football, and now he's a starter.

Meanwhile, 1st rounders like, Buster, English, Cason, and Liuget are projects........ WTF? :tdown:

19. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,931
    Let's not pretend every long play he gave up or every touchdown was because he had to play off or had to hold up for 7+ seconds. I'll point out the NYJ game where he was beaten like a drum three separate times by Burress.

20. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,412
    I'd like to say Cason is an average CB, but that would be a stretch. ;)

21. Joy Division

Ratings:
    +542
    Vaughn Martin is a physical freak and an intelligent dude (38 wonderlic) also, doesn't play a "skill" position, and if we're talking first round selections, Vaughn doesn't qualify.

Buster wasn't a project, he just sucked and is out of the league.
    English should have never gone 1st round...AJ move.
    Cason has played in every game since he was drafted (I'm pretty sure, even with a cast on one hand).
    Liuget was drafted and was I.R.'d?

So the point is, those first rounders were not projects. They were poor draft picks (minus Cason and it's too early to tell with Liuget.

Okay, if this hasn't convinced you yet, it probably never will...so not really a discussion anymore.

• Like Like x 1
  22. Joy Division

Ratings:
    +542
    P.S., Liuget is only 22 years old. In most cases, he'd still be in college.

So anyway, No Asante...though he does have a good year or two left and could be the missing link
    to get us that Lombardi! :laugh:

23. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,412
    You said the problem was the coaches developing the players....... I gave you a clear example of the coaches' success with a player who knew very little about football. Therefore, disproving your theory.

Buster wasn't worthy of a 1st round pick, neither was English. Both reinforce my point that AJ picks guys that aren't capable of making an immediate impact...... what you want from 1st round players. Every draft guy had both of them ranked as 2nd rounders at best.

Cason played, but not well. Castillo played too (when not injured)....... never was worthy of his 1st round position, or the money AJ gave him. Now, we want to bring him back as a backup. Does that sound like a good 1st round pick to you?

Liuget was never IR'd....... don't know where the hell you got that from? he played in 15 games and started 13 of them. Most draft people had him as a 4-3 guy, not a 3-4 DE. So far, it looks like conventional wisdom was smarter than AJ one again.

AJ Smith has flat out sucked in the 1st round the last few years. The blame lies with him....... he pulls the trigger.

24. Joy Division

Ratings:
    +542
    Maybe it just seemed like Liuget was IR'd...since I can't remember him doing anything :)
    Oh, and I said that "maybe" it was the developers. So yeah, I wasn't exactly arguing that point, mostly just defending my sig.
    As far as my theory goes, that was in response to you talking about 1st round picks that needed developing, not a 4th round pick that wasn't in your original example.

25. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,412
    Liuget could've been in the witness protection program for all Chargers fans would know. :rolleyes:
    Cam Thomas, a backup NT, has 3 more sacks than Liuget. He also had one more tackle, despite starting only 2 games to Liuget's 13.

I don't know about you, but I think we deserve an immediate impact 1st round player more than every 8 years or so. Merriman was drafted in 2005......... that was the last time we drafted an immediate impact 1st rounder.

26. Whooki Mane

Whooki Mane BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +271
    AJ has the odd talent of blowing early picks but making up for it with quality selections in later rounds... imagine how good we would be if we actually got production out of our early rounders:laugh:

27. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,031
    Let me School all you Cason haters out there since 2003 Samuel has had 374 total tackles, 45 INTs 5 defesive TD's 6 forced fumbles and 143 pass deflections

Cason 2008 235 tackles 10 INT's 1 defensive td 2 forced fumbles 44 pass deflections

by my calculations Samuel has 8 years in the league played to Cason's 3 with only 139 more tackles, 35 more INT's, 4 more td's, 4 more forced fumbles and 99 more pass deflections. Give Cason 4 more years and he'll top all those stats

now lets play a fun game some may say Nnamdi may be one of the best in the league

with only 115 more tackles than cason, 4 more INTs than cason, equal in TD's, 2 less force fumbles and 22 more pass deflections

so yeah Cason is Legit I only hope we can lock him up long term before we lose him in free agency because like Jackson once he gets a chance to leave he'll be gone

28. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,031
    also he's be alot better if he had an off season to learn a new D.C. play calling and if we had a pass rushers give QB's time to throw and they'll hit their mark even Mark Sanchez proved that anyone notice the better out pass rush got towards the end of the season the better Cason got?????? obviously you didn't if you're all so willingly to throw him to the wolves

29. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    Cason was absolutely schooled by Burress in the red zone last season. 6'5 receivers may not be his strong suit. That also doesn't make him a bad CB. He will never be Revis, he will never be Champ, and he will never be Deion.

As far as impact players, I think everyone here knows that Smitty has boned the handling of our first round talent more or less the whole time he's been here.

Since 2003 we have, currently on the roster, 5/10 first round picks, and of those only 1 can be said to be an impact player.

Be that as it may, signing a 31 y/o CB for anything other than a bargain basement deal isn't going to Christmas miracle us into the playoffs. Steadier play from the front 3, more pressure from the back 8, better coverage of TEs, and our ball handlers not giving up the ball like it's Christmas for the defenders every Sunday and we'll be a respectable team this season. Creative playcalling from Norv would be nice too.

• Agree Agree x 1
  30. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,412
    And a dose of reality for all the Cason defenders....... ;)

[​IMG]

That's right........ the bottom of the bottom 12 CB's in the NFL.