1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

At least we know we can shut down the Lions in the Super Bowl

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by sd-local, Jul 13, 2007.

1. sd-local

sd-local BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +10
    So I've read countless articles about, first, Eric Weddle shut down Calvin Johnson for two catches and now Paul Oliver shut him down too. That's all good and nice but we cannot ride this wave of hype on these guys. I am not at all saying that neither Weddle or Oliver will not be good players, but we cannot judge them by a single game.

You want to know who shut down Calvin Johnson? Reggie Ball!

Every picture of Oliver on Chargers.com is captioned by something like,"...who held the #2 overall pick Calvin Johnson to two catches..."

Not a good measure of talent in my opinion

2. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205
    blasphomy... we got cj stoppers stop hatin'

lol

3. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    It's official: week 15 is in the bag. :D

4. LittleTrain

LittleTrain BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +86
    Who has Roy Williams?

5. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    And no scout worth anything bases his assessment of a player on a single performance. The pundits like to hype Weddle and Oliver for shutting down CJ. Predicting NFL success is hard, so they will use anything they can as a predictor.

I don't think anyone should base their opinion of a player on one performance, but if the fans or pundits do that, it is not the players' fault. To diminish their college careers because of the hype is just as ludicrous as judging them based on a single performance.

Eric Weddle was an impact player for his entire college career. He was all-WAC and received a lot of all-america recognition.

Oliver was considered one of the best DBs in the SEC. He had 9 INTs as a Junior.

Neither of these guys are being judged solely on one game. But when people express doubts about the quality of competition Weddle and Oliver faced in college, their stellar performances against CJ are going to be used to dismiss some of those doubts.