1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

At old school, Merriman gets top grade despite positive test (article)

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by nickelbolt, Oct 25, 2006.

1. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    At old school, Merriman gets top grade despite positive test
    By Lem Satterfield
    Sun Reporter
    Originally published October 25, 2006
    UPPER MARLBORO // Football

A framed, maroon No. 44 football jersey with gold lettering leans against a wall in the principal's office at Frederick Douglass High.

No one will wear the No. 44 jersey again. It will be retired and placed in a nearby trophy case to honor Shawne Merriman.

But more than 100 varsity and junior varsity players at the Prince George's County school have worn new uniforms because of the San Diego Chargers linebacker.

There is a whirlpool, installed last month, across from the weight room, a new tackling sled and an assortment of shoulder pads and helmets for Douglass football players, all because of Merriman, who has donated $22,000 over the past two years to his alma mater.

As you walk the halls and fields of Douglass, Merriman's generosity is obvious. But it's in the hearts and minds of the Eagles players where the 2002 Douglass graduate has had an even greater impact.

That's why news that the former Maryland star may have violated the NFL's steroid policy left some finding it hard to believe and others hoping it wasn't true.

"[Merriman] has not only put this school on the map, but he hasn't forgotten where he came from," said offensive guard Emmanuel Barrett, who, with defensive end Tony Patterson, reported to yesterday's practice at Douglass wearing a Mohawk to emulate the haircut worn by Merriman.

Click the link for the full article...

lem.satterfield@baltsun.com

2. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    word

3. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Word.........................:tup:

4. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    This is the type of thing that the POS UT should be publishing. SM is doing tons of charity out here as well...

Instead, they are singing the praises of what a great guy Mansker was and how he was born to be a cop.

5. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Thanks for putting the word "article" in parenthesis..... :tup:

6. exodus

exodus Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133
    All papers are out to spear the local team. I don't know why this is.:icon_shrug:

Shawne has done a lot of good things. He had a tough life getting to the NFL in the first place. It's just an unfortunate situation. I'm hoping he comes through this ordeal as best he can.

7. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    Maybe the editor(s) and some of the writers have relatives in one or more of the local PDs. :icon_huh: :icon_shrug:

8. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,889
    Question
    Peppers had this happen to him, does anyone in Carolina care?

9. boltmanbz

boltmanbz Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +86
    not to mention his work with the homeless here in san diego

10. boltmanbz

boltmanbz Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +86
    leading the league in sack and killing qb's, im sure they could careless

11. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    I hope he uses this to come back with more passion and tougher. He's a good guy. i hope the best for him.:yes:

12. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    What makes him a "good guy" ?

Is it the blankets he gives out ?

Merriman is also single so I think the supplements could have shrunken his willie and desire to pro-create so I am not sure if this is what makes him a good guy or the blankets ? :icon_huh:

13. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    Just helping people in need. I was thinking more of when he helped out with trying to keep open that shelter. At least he's trying.

I'm single now. But that has more to do with someone passing away. There are reasons for people being single. I don't know if I'll ever marry again. Being single has alot of pluses. The person would have to be pretty special for me to take on another roommate.

14. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,848
    What makes him a good guy is his size. When he is standing in front of your saying "You dont want to offend Mr. Gates" You say "no sir! your a good guy sir!" Or you play the trumpet out of a new oraphus...:icon_eek:

15. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +715
    Yeah what she said!