1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Atlanta may have to nix their plans

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Electric Chair, Dec 22, 2007.

1. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    Marty looks to stay retired!!! Looks like The Nix is staying put. :yes:

http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/chargers/20071222-9999-1s22chnotes.html

Marty Schottenheimer may well be on the Atlanta Falcons' radar, but the Falcons are not necessarily on his.

Schottenheimer said yesterday, as strongly as he ever has, that he probably will not return to coaching.

“It would have to be the right circumstance,” he said by phone from his North Carolina home. “I don't think it's very likely, to be honest with you.”

Schottenheimer, who was fired as Chargers coach in February, would not rule out the possibility of coaching again. He cited his oft-repeated mantra that he doesn't make decisions until he has to.

He did say he has not been contacted by the Falcons.

“I haven't heard anything from anyone,” he said. “And no one I know has heard anything. I know nothing.”

League sources said the Falcons were reaching out to Schottenheimer and likely would take the next step in talks over the weekend.

Schottenheimer, 64, said he has been having fun with his grandchildren, traveling and improving his golf game.

He said his qualification of the “right circumstance” did not necessarily mean he would avoid a team in the dire straits Atlanta finds itself. He has built a reputation over the years as a re-builder of fallen franchises.

“I won't say absolutely, 'No,' ” he said. “That would make no sense to say that. But it's unlikely.”

2. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    *prays for Falcons fans sanity that Marty stays retired*

3. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    I don't care if Marty goes to Atlanta especially because we'll play them one time at home next year and not see them for four years (and we don't have to worry about seeing them in hte playoffs). Nix is who I'm more worried about.

4. OverVolt

OverVolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +18
    Yeah, real smart...after all they've go through this year, and your not smart enough to see how Marty could help these guys???:icon_rofl:
    I understand few in here know anything about our team before Marty showed up, but give those that know our history, and some history of this game a brake.
    I would hope most are smarter than this...

Marty will get this team back to the playoffs in a couple short years, and that's not a guess, those who know his history know that if he's hired in Atl, they become instantly respectable.

• Like Like x 1
  5. OverVolt

OverVolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +18
    Yeah, real smart...after all they've go through this year, and your not smart enough to see how Marty could help these guys???:icon_rofl:
    I understand few in here know anything about our team before Marty showed up, but give those that know our history, and some history of this game a brake.
    I would hope most are smarter than this...

Marty will get this team back to the playoffs in a couple short years, and that's not a guess, those who know his history, know that if he's hired in Atl, they become instantly respectable...just like EVERY team he's coached

6. Electric Chair

Ratings:
    +579
    And then lose once he gets there, just like he has with EVERY team he's coached. That is what he was referencing before you got on your soap box with the "holier than thou" attitude.

7. Electric Chair

Ratings:
    +579
    And then lose once he gets there, just like he has with EVERY team he's coached. That is what he was referencing before you got on your soap box with the "holier than thou" attitude.

8. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +689
    Ditto.

Marty is a very good teacher and I don't know of many players who have disliked playing for him. He will get you close, but never over the line.

9. timepiece33

timepiece33 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +25
    They could still go after Nix for their GM. He would be a huge loss.

10. Electric Chair

Ratings:
    +579
    The article yesterday stated that it would be a package deal with both The Nix and Marty coming aboard.

Atlanta won't gamble on a first time GM at this point. They need stability, not more questions.

11. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Question, Nix has workjed with AJ for a while right?

Would Marty and Nix get along?

12. Electric Chair

Ratings:
    +579
    Yes.

You need to read Acee's article.

13. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Will do.

14. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    It depends if AJ confided in Buddy about why he disliked Marty so much. And if Buddy shared the same opinion/hatred.

I would really like to know what went down to create such bad blood. Someday we'll find out. I bet it will be one hell of a story.

15. Electric Chair

Ratings:
    +579
    Since it doesn't sound like anyone read the article...

The entire article...