1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Award voting do-overs? Let’s don’t

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, May 14, 2010.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    [​IMG]

The Oilers' Brian Cushing gets up close and personal with the Raiders' Zach Miller last October. Cushing's play at linebacker earned him NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year honors.

By Nick Canepa, UNION-TRIBUNE COLUMNIST
    Thursday, May 13, 2010

Rarely have I been accused of being a John L. Lewis, Marvin Miller or Cesar Chavez, but I don’t toss personal collective bargaining chips back on the table. I don’t like to give back things I’ve already been given. Nor am I in the removal business.
    But that’s what they’re attempting to get those of us who nosh on the sweet and sour sides of sportdom’s buffet to do, or at least think about. And that is taking away awards from those who may have been good because they did something bad, or starred and then did bad things later on.
    Maybe that’s what we get for taking part in these awards and trophies. We’ve seen the onus, and it’s on us.
    And I’m not talking about ethics that, if we vote for someone as MVP or for a Hall of Fame, maybe we’ll get preferential treatment from said athlete. That’s hopelessly unprofessional, although, because of ethical reasons, some newspapers and media outlets do not allow employees to vote for awards.
    Fine. That’s their business.
    However, unless we do a crime, save a life, plug oil leaks — you know what I’m getting at — we should not be the news or the newsmakers. We’re the ones behind the notepads. But that’s what we’re in danger of becoming — if it hasn’t already happened (don’t get me wrong; I still laugh when athletes blame the media for their problems).
    Case: Houston Texans linebacker Brian Cushing was caught with his hands in the apothecary jar. He reportedly tested positive last September for the Manny Ramirez female fertility substance banned by the NFL because it purportedly stimulates the body’s testosterone production after steroid use.
    Cushing appealed and played the entire season, performing brilliantly, good enough to be the runaway winner of The Associated Press Defensive Rookie of the Year Award. However, when The League last week decided to suspend Cushing for the first four games of the 2010 season, AP asked its panel of media judges to re-vote — with Cushing’s name still on the ballot!
    So, the re-vote’s results came in Wednesday, with Cushing still the winner, although by a much narrower margin (down to 18 first-place votes from 39) to runner-up Jairus Byrd, Buffalo’s freshman safety (up to 13 from 6).
    Cushing tested positive, appealed, was tested often during the season and came up clean. The voters were not given this information, so when the time came to cast a ballot in early January, Cushing was the obvious choice.
    Blame the protracted appeals process on the NFL and the players union. Should it really take eight months to reach a decision? If Cushing had served that four-game suspension during the 2009 season, chances are he wouldn’t have done enough to warrant the award.
    But to try to take it back? Uh-uh. We have no idea how this affected Cushing’s play in 2009, if at all. Same could be said for Chargers linebacker Shawne Merriman, who in 2006 was busted for performance-enhancing drugs, suspended four games, tested clean after that and still put up good numbers, enough to make the Pro Bowl.
    Merriman was Defensive Rookie of the Year in 2005. Can we presume he was dirty at that time, go back and strip him of the award?
    It happens constantly in the Olympics, but so many people are dirty, and we don’t vote for those winners. We see one member of a relay team testing positive and everyone else has their medals Olympically removed. Is this fair?
    Put it this way: If the Texans had won the Super Bowl and Cushing had eight sacks in the game, would Roger Goodell demand the Lombardi Trophy be given to the loser?
    Now that Lawrence Taylor is up on a **** charge, the squealers are saying that, if found guilty, he should be pulled from the Pro Football Hall of Fame. Unlike baseball’s Hall, pro football orders its voters to take into account only what a player has done on the field (which is why Taylor’s drug-infested history didn’t keep him out, although many voters squawked at the time). O.J. Simpson, hardly Mahatma Gandhi, still has a bust in Canton.
    Should they be kicked out? Should the Downtown Athletic Club take back Reggie Bush’s Heisman if the NCAA pounces on USC for Bush’s alleged infractions while he attended the university? Have they stripped O.J. of his Heisman? Have they forced Barry Bonds, Alex Rodriguez and Jose Canseco to return their baseball MVP awards?
    If they do, we can’t forget what they accomplished. If Nixon actually were kicked out, would history erase his years as president? Can we undo what Truman did and rehire MacArthur?
    You can’t take back what’s already been done — unless it’s Milli Vanilli, who didn’t do it at all.
    This rotten egg can be thrown at the NFL and the union. Until these people fully disclose, the AP should consider dropping its awards and saving itself from the embarrassment of a re-vote.
    I know one thing: If I voted for Brian Cushing in January, I would have voted for him again in May. This isn’t “Seinfeld.” I’m not a re-gifter.

AND STILL CHAMPION ...

Revised voting for the 2009 NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year selected by The Associated Press in balloting by a nationwide panel of the media:

Brian Cushing, LB, Houston 18

Jairus Byrd, S, Buffalo 13

Clay Matthews III, LB, Green Bay 12

Brian Orakpo, LB, Washington 3

James Laurinaitis, LB, St. Louis 1

Three voters abstained. All had Cushing in the original balloting.

Original Voting

Cushing 39

Byrd 6

Matthews 3

Orakpo 2

2. Chargerfn909

Chargerfn909 High and tight kid, high and tight!

Ratings:
    +34
    Damn dude, do you just hang around waiting for articles to be posted then haul *** over here and post em? :lol: You are good my friend :icon_tease:

3. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432

:no: