1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

B&G's Blues and Golds

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by BlueandGold, Aug 13, 2007.

1. BlueandGold

BlueandGold The Oracle

Ratings:
    +219
    PRESEASON GAME 1 - SEATTLE @ SAN DIEGO

BLUES

1. Penalties. 8 of them, for 45 yards. Yeah, first game of the preseason and all, but the team just did not look focused. O-Line penalties in particular are an indicator of lack of focus, and we had a ton of them. There were a few that were major buzzkills/momentum shifters - DFlo's defensive holding, the 12 men on the field, etc. All show that the Norv needs to tighten the screws and get the team to play smarter. Comparatively, the Seahawks had 2 penalties for 20 yards. Ugh.

2. Pass defense. The first unit was mediocre, the second unit was decent, the third was flat-out horrible. On the Hawks' last few drives, Wallace looked like freaking Dan Marino. I don't know whether its the scheme or whether it was crappy personnel, but it just seemed that we were giving them everything underneath - frighteningly reminiscent of Wade's prevent. That has got to get better.

3. The Offensive Lines. All three QBs were getting hurried all day. I felt sorry for Whitehurst in particular - he was just getting slammed. There were pass rushers coming in unblocked with a full head of steam. Rivers did a pretty good job of getting the ball out of there, but it's something that needs fixing. I personally think that the Seahawks came out with more intensity tonight, and our guys came out complacent. I hope they learned something.

4. Qualcomm. It's just embarassing for Al Michaels to call out a failing electrical system on National TV. It's not the first time the Q's embarassed us like this. The Stadium needs to either get fixed or get replaced - period.

GOLDS

1. The New Guys. Davis, Weddle, Chandler, Waters, and Naanee all looked good out there. I didn't see much of Siler at all. Davis looked smooth out there outside of the fumbled reverse. Weddle's INT was a thing of beauty for a fan not used to seeing the Chargers take advantage of easy INTs (how do you think Champ Bailey gets his?). Naanee caught everything and looked very strong out there. Waters had two tackles on the day - looked a little stiff but willing. Chandler moves extremely well for a big man. This draft was solid gold.

2. Floyd. He started slow, then picked it up. Man, he looks a lot bigger than last year, and he towers over his competition. He has great concentration and has huge YAC potential if he's got room to run after the catch. He's going to be real good this year.

3. Sproles. My former adopted Charger did me proud today with some spectacular runs and solid return efforts. He'll continue to open eyes as the preseason goes on.

4. It's the first game of the preseason. If this was the fourth game of the preseason, I'd be worried. The team did NOT look very good today, and even if we would have won I would have felt the same. But I think they'll come away from this game with a lot of good film and hopefully a lot of good reminders of what it's going to take to get back to where they were last year.

5. FOOTBALL'S BACK. Man it felt good.

• Like Like x 1
  2. cranberry

cranberry BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +195
    Well spoken, I will stay proud of the Bolts. Can't wait for da BEARS.

3. BlueandGold

BlueandGold The Oracle

Ratings:
    +219
    PRESEASON GAME 2 - SAN DIEGO @ ST. LOUIS

BLUES

1. Penalties - AGAIN. 7 for 35 yards. It wasn't as bad as last week, and the team seemed to get their heads out for the second half, but the first half was just brutal. False starts are simply inexcusable. Drayton Florence had a holding penalty and an offsides penalty. Hopefully their relatively penalty-free second half will continue.

2. Pass defense - AGAIN. Gus Frerotte, in relief of Bulger, was the leading passer on Saturday - in ALL GAMES (16/22 for 187 yards and a TD). It was horrifying. Cottrell and Bradley need to think about shifting coverage schemes, because this one isn't working.

3. Tackling - What, did Donnie Edwards leave a study guide or something? If the guys weren't drag tackling, they were hitting and not wrapping up. The defensive coaches need to get back to basic tackling fundamentals. You can't stop the run if you don't stand people up, and this defense isn't doing it so far this Preseason.

4. Leonard Little's sack of Philip Rivers - I know it was just one play, but it was an awful one. Little just blew past Shane on a third down play to kill a drive. It was an embarassment. Clearly, Olivea's problems with speed rushers is going to continue, and Rivers is going to get hit because of it. At least it's not Philip's blind side.

5. Gross's injury. It looked pretty bad, and you can tell he was pretty bummed out in addition to the pain. I felt sorry for him as he was getting carted off. I hope it's not too bad - he looked pretty good out there today.

GOLDS

1. The Running Game. We ran almost at will on the Rams - 4.4 yards per rush for the game. You'll win an awful lot of ball games with that stat. Turner (5.4 YPC) was just rumbling out there, Gross (4.5 YPC) was Turner-esque at time before he got hurt, and Race (4.8 YPC) is extremely quick through the hole. (Pinnock brought the average down with his 2.4 YPC... heh.) Wish we got more of a look at Sproles as an RB. The Offensive Line (all units) were impressive, getting to the second level very quickly and holding their blocks. Simms even noticed it on the broadcast and commented on it. Good on ya, boys.

2. Philip Rivers. He didn't have to throw too much, as we were running the ball nearly at will; but when he had to throw, he was comfortable in the pocket, sensed the rush extremely well, and was throwing absolute lasers all game. He ended up 9/13 for 82 yards and a touchdown - that's 9.1 yards per completion. Also of note - it looks like he has a lot more trust in Antonio's ability to make the tough catches in close coverage. That Rivers-to-Gates play down the far sideline was a thing of beauty.

3. Sproles - AGAIN. TOUCHDOWN SAN DIEGO! Now nobody can say that he hasn't taken one to the house. He also had a nice play that was absolutely sniffed out by the defense, but he juked his way to a first down conversion. I think the Sproles debate is over.

4. Shaun Phillips. The dude was nails today. From knocking the crap out of Bulger, to stripping the ball on the Ram's first drive, he showed serious star power out there. I'm glad we signed this dude long term. The Merriman-Phillips combination is the Charger 1-2 punch on defense, and will be for a long time.

5. Turnovers - I think Rivera brought the Turnover Magic with him when he came from Chicago. All in all, the Rams fumbled four times (lost 1) and threw two interceptions. You could tell Shaun was planning to try for the strip the entire time. Clinton Hart and Cletis Gordon were perfectly placed. If it's true, and we indeed have inherited Chicago's tendency for turnovers, it's going to be a fun season.

4. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +503
    Good summary.... here's my 2 cents;

Positives - Running game, VJ, and starting O in general, Sproles and special teams (honorable mention for Camarillo), Weddle had some nice plays, Shaun 'the beast' Philips.

Negatives - Olivea (allowing a sack on a 3 man rush come on!), Pass D (esp our esteemed starting left corner Jammer).

I am gutted for Gross, I had gr8 hopes for him but that injury has come at the worst time. Get healthy soon Tyrone!. :tup:

5. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Good take, B&G. I was sick most of yesterday, so ended dozing a lot through the 4th quarter. Hope Gross's injury isn't too bad. He looked solid.

The D is concerning me a bit, especially the secondary. I know, it's preseason, but there is little in the way of a pass rush & the secondary looks pretty weak. DFlo penalties & Jammer looks as though he's regressed. Right now I'd give the nod to Hart & Weddle as the starting safeties.

My adopted son Sproles looked good - again!! You go, Darren! :icon_banana:

VJ looked good at times, but still had some dumb penalties. Sometimes I think he must have ADD - just doesn't seem to maintain his focus. Gates looked awesome, as did MT.

Next week will tell a lot about the coaching staff as it's obvious that there are still issues to resolve. IMO, I think Cottrell needs to light a fire under the defensive unit.

6. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Nicely done.

Shane Olivea. That dude has got to go. Last night that was classic Shane on the wiff.

The funnies - watching Michael Turner lay waste to the defenders. I was laughing my *** off watching defenders bounce off of Turner. Hilarious even ........ :tup:

7. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +715
    I thought Turner looked good and that Race kid looked pretty good as well.

Good to see Rivers and Gates establishing as a release valve. THat one down the sidelines was beautiful. I thought Jammer had a much better game than DFlo.

again too many damn penalties.

8. Prito James

Prito James BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +13
    I was really hope Clary would challenge Olivea this season, that isn't happening, but I would like to see both Clary and the Lekkekker at RT to see how they do.

9. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    :icon_cry: :icon_cry: :icon_cry:

10. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I know it isn't a long-term solution, but how about Roman at RG? Is he still that injured or can he be a help? I'm really starting to lose faith in Shane & I don't want to see us lose PR to a big hit ala Olivea.

We kept MT in order to help make a SB run. Maybe this is Oben's last contribution to the same?

11. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Great write up B&G! Front page material!

12. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    We need to franchise tag Turner after the season. Just so we can trade him to someone we don't play much in the NFC and get something of value for him as he leaves.

13. BlueandGold

BlueandGold The Oracle

Ratings:
    +219
    I rewatched the game today. The play immediately before his sack (the one where Rivers tripped), Little had blown past Shane in pretty much the same way and would have sacked Philip if he had been standing.

I am seriously worried about Shane.

14. BlueandGold

BlueandGold The Oracle

Ratings:
    +219
    PRESEASON GAME 3 - SAN DIEGO @ ARIZONA

BLUES

1. Pass defense - AGAIN x2. All in all, the Cardinals passers were 20 of 30 for 303 yards, 8 YPC. What the numbers belie, though, is the fact that the Cardinals were able to throw downfield with impunity in important conversion situations. Let's put it this way - we forced the Cardinals to 18 third downs. 18! And they converted 11 of them, a 61 percent clip. (In comparison, the Chargers were 5 of 10 on third downs) Anquan Boldin just tore us a new one out there today - 5 receptions for 143 yards and a score! Not a good thing. Oh, speaking of conversions:

2. Red Zone Defense. The Cardinals got into our Red Zone 3 times. 3 times they converted for touchdowns. That's awful. Speaking of the Red Zone:

3. Red Zone Offense. We got into the Cardinal Red Zone 7 times. We converted twice, a 28% clip. In Goal-to-go situations, we couldn't punch it in (0 for 1). Part of the strength of this Charger team over the past few years has been our ability to dominate in the Red Zone, on both offense and defense. We didn't see it today.

4. Michael Turner's injury. NooooooOOOOooooooooOOOOooo! 'Nuff said. I'm crossing my fingers that it's not too bad.

5. Antonio Cromartie. It's weird - in a way, he had a good night; he got himself in the right positions, just couldn't finish the plays. In fact, the whole secondary didn't look all that great, for the most part. It's just that Cro was in position to make some plays, really decisive ones, and he came up short. Still, he's got incredible potential. He just has to learn to finish.

6. Safety play. WTF! Maybe we just need to pick a starter and go with him, because they all look like crap right now. This is the third game in a row that the safeties were out of position and the CBs paid the price. Just roll the dice already. Here, I'll do it for you... start McCree and Weddle. There. Now meet your corners, shake hands, and start playing some god damn smart football.

GOLDS

1. "It's Vanilla." That's what I keep telling myself. We didn't run any tricky pass rush schemes, we didn't run intricate coverages - it's just plain old 3-4 quarters. Right? I hope so. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. I hope they're running the real thing somewhere.

2. Philip Rivers - AGAIN. In 2 1/4 quarters of action, he was 20/29 for 282 yards and 2 TDs; the leading passer this week so far. He played smart, threw every type of ball tonight and threw them well, and he doesn't even have LT to throw to yet. He and Gates are sync'ed up for sure. He simply looks unstoppable. Good thing, because we may have some shootouts this year if our pass defense doesn't improve. (Can you tell I'm worried?)

3. Sproles - AGAIN x2. Does anyone still think this dude will get cut? That 19 yard scoring run was Vintage Sproles and brought a huge grin to my face.

4. Billy Volek. That last, winning drive was a well executed, well led masterpiece. With no timeouts, Volek guided our bottom string offense 53 yards in seven plays with 1:09 left on the clock for the winning field goal. He capped it off with a perfect pass to Osgood running a corner route out of bounds, stopping the clock with 6 seconds left. It's nice to have a competent backup, don't you think?

5. Turnovers - AGAIN. The Rams fumbled 4 times and lost 3 of them. Don't let these Chargers stand you up, because if you do, the ball is the next target. Hopefully this is a trend we can carry into the regular season. It'll be interesting to see how Chicago does without Rivera in this area, because he sure looks to be making a difference with us.

6. Vince Jackson. He seemed invisible out there - to the defense, that is. He was running and catching out there like it was playground ball, and finished with 4 receptions for 92 yards and 2 touchdowns. Breakout year?

7. Our beautiful new Stadium. Did you hear the owner saying it brought in 500 million dollars worth of revenue? Man, aren't we glad we built it? We wouldn't have had the Superbowl this year too, if we hadn't. Thank god we got that done.

Oh wait... that was Glendale. Sorry about that.

15. cranberry

cranberry BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +195

STOP THE BAD PASS DEFENCE

REPEAT GOOD HANDS OF PR

WE HAVE A 3RD BACK UP RUNNER

16. BlueandGold

BlueandGold The Oracle

Ratings:
    +219
    Even better, a viable returner and a threat whenever he's on the field. :yes: