1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

B4L Special - ESPN says send Turner back to SF

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by AnteaterCharger, Nov 23, 2007.

1. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    • Like Like x 1
  2. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    Were in such a shambles now I don't think any coaching changes would hurt us. I do hope they at least make rivera d-coach. Unsure who should be the o-coach. Possibly someone who just would take advantage of the talent we have. WHich is immense.

The odd thing is if the coaches we have now will just let the players play all out we could still win the whole thing.

3. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Thanks Ant!!! :tup:

BTW... Is that your tattoo in your avatar?
    It's a cool tattoo!!!

4. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    Let's trade him for Mike Singletary (or a box of rocks, whatever works).

5. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Give us Nolan and they got a deal!!! :yes:

6. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    :yes: :bolt:

7. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
  8. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    :no: He is under contract with the Cowboys. There is no clause to allow a HC out to be GM/HC.

The Chargers would have to give up ALOT. We are talking multiple high round draft picks.

That will not happen, they will look for the inexpensive, next great coach and wish Wade well.

Wade returning to the Chargers is a pipe dream, as much as Marty returning is.

9. Chargers-Superhero

Chargers-Superhero Just win the Damn SB !!!

Ratings:
    +117

I don't believe the Cowboys will let Jason Garrett go, without him thier offense isn't as well off as it is right now, they would lose ALOT of offensive strategy. Jerry Jones won't let him go. Who's to say he would be any good as a HC anyway, he could be just like Norv, good OC, lousy HC:icon_shrug:

10. Chargers-Superhero

Chargers-Superhero Just win the Damn SB !!!

Ratings:
    +117
    Dallas would be stupid to let Wade go, and besides, why would Wade want to leave Dallas:icon_huh:

11. Zeus

Zeus BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +83
    Marty won't come back and frankly I don't want him back. Wade won't leave Dallas that is his dream job.

So the best we can hope for is that Norv Turner leaves without breaking his contract and we get a really good HC and fire Ted.

What will most likely happen (unless we lose 4 of our next few games and don't make it to the playoffs which I don't see happening either) is we keep Norv fire Teddy promote Ron Rivieria as DC. If our RB coach can't cut it we promote someone else to our OC who can actually do the job. Then we give a lot less responsibility to Norv Turner and make him really just the HC/QB coach with time spent with the OC in developing plans.

I think either one would help the team.

BTW Kreidler is a SF 49ner fan. Of course he wants the Chargers to dump Norv Turner and for him to come back. It is the only thing that will save the 49ners. I would rather have Norv back as OC here and Nolan as our coach but that won't happen.

12. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    I didn't think a team could prevent an assistant or coordinator from interviewing for a HC job in the NFL. Any fresh face will be a gamble, as opposed to know quantities like the chin-who is not a retread like Marty or a dredged up Vermeil would be if they went back to coaching. The article maintains its rationality only when it throws cold water on its own premise. Most NFL head coaches get tossed. The only time they seem to leave on their own is for health or a breached exhaustion threshold. Not likely for Norval. He seems to have a high tolerance for annoyances that cost others their sleep. To bad Corryell couldn't be coaxed out of his perfect life to do what Ted is doing in Baghdad by the Bay. Be interesting to see what Norval looks like when he finally gets really annoyed.

13. Retired Catholic

Ratings:
    +347
    Do you really think a coach who is winning(10-1, if I remember right) is going to get demoted, shivved or maneuvered out the door? The only time I remember Dallas stepping on their own gonads that bad was with Barry Switzer.

14. Retired Catholic

Ratings:
    +347
    You won't get an argument from me on that. I could be happy with Rivera bumped up and Garret coming to town. This is another very anxious week.

15. Lancer 1

Lancer 1 Eternal Optimist

Ratings:
    +341
    We won't get either one of them, IMO....Jones is grooming Garrett to be Wade's heir apparent, we can request permission to interview Jason and be denied by Dallas.

Jerry Jones won't run Wade after 1 season, especially one in which the Cowboys will probably be the NFC's #1 seed in the playoffs.

This year we are a perfect example of the perils of letting coaches who are under contract to you move on, even to accept promotions. I guarantee that other teams will look at the debacle that we have been so far, and will deny other teams' requests for permission to interview their talented coordinators, especially if they feel they are real close to winning it all.

16. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Just end this season then see who is available.

I was talking with EC and he wants a hungry guy out of college.
    I would agree with that but would that but will the coach be able to develop in a year or two? That would be a concern on my part.
    Keep in mind that LT is 28. We don't want his primes wasted.

If Bucs don't make it to the Playoffs, Gruden might be available. GET HIM!!!! Hell... trade some draft picks if necessary.
    Ravens most likely are done (especially after this Sunday). Billick most likely will be available. GET HIM!!!

Either of these guys will kick AJ's teeth out if he tries his bullshit on them!!!
    They WILL choose their own assistants too and do a good job with it!!!
    I ALSO GUARANTEE THAT EITHER OF THESE GUYS WILL GET US AT LEAST ONE SUPER BOWL TITLE (as long as they have the same team to work with)!!!

17. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Gruden? Maybe. I'm not a Billick fan at all.

But frankly, this thread is an exercise in futility. Norv isn't going anywhere for at least another year, barring something absolutely unforeseen.

18. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    BINGO!

19. sickswonnyne

sickswonnyne Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +79
    I like Chucky too, but i don't want us running the Tampa 2 Defense or anything but a 3-4. Gruden's defense, much like the Bears and Colts D's, have quick, smallish defenders at D-line. I much rather keep the one we run, like the Steelers and Patriots do. Jamal and Igor would be outta place in a Gruden D.

That's why I liked Balt's Ryan guy for HC, or at least DC. He used both the 3-4 and the 4-3, but Ray Lewis wanted the 4-3 to protect him with. I believe they're using the 3-4 now with Haloti Ngata at NT, though, and with success. He would fit this team well. I like Ron Rivera a lot, but I wonder what he can do for us. I know he focuses on forced fumbles and turnovers, but we still need discipline. Mike Singletary in some capacity would be bad@$s! Ray-Ray ought to have called him Daddy, 'cuz Mike had that fool on a leash. Talk about discipline.

I guess my question is who could help our O? Now that Norv proved himself a $h!tty HC, and it wouldn't work out for him returning as only an OC I believe. I guess we need someone else, most likely from the Coryell/ Zampese lineage. Who's out there? Martz? No thanks, he'd waste LT and the power run game. I need help with this.

In any case, to satisfy AJ's ego, I'm guessing he stays with what he has and goes in-house, like with Rivera and maybe Shelmon getting promotions. That way we get fresh faces, but also AJ can still look smart since he hired them right after Martyball's death. I still wonder if Norv would've succeeded more with some young, innovative, and disciplinarian HC like Singletary, Rivera, or Rob (or is it Rex) Ryan above him to handle the team.

Oh and I think Jeff Fisher does the most good with the least help as a HC in the League. They're supposed to be rebuilding with Vince Young and all those young players, but they still are competitive year-in year-out.

All right I'm done for now.

20. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    We may have our OC answer in-house & don't know it. How much input does he have in the gameplanning & playcalling right now? Also, I wonder if Lofton should get a look at this job.

For DC, staying in-house again, it's Rivera. I think that's why he's here anyway. That or HC.

I'm afraid that Norv stays for another year. If I had my way, we'd get Rex Ryan, Mike Singletary, or (if he's available), John Fox. I'm not putting Cowher on the list because I just don't think that he'll come to the west coast. Not for the type of deal that we would offer.

Just my .02 .

21. 400HZ

400HZ BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +15
    I want to stay away from the retread head coaches. I'd love Garrett, but I bet if we got McDaniels he could steal away a couple defensive coaches from New England and we could kill two birds with one stone.