1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Back for more: Veteran LB Seau agrees to rejoin Patriots

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Oct 13, 2009.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703

NFL.com Wire Reports 10-13-2009

Linebacker Junior Seau is back with the New England Patriots, coming out of retirement for a third time after agreeing to a one-year contract to play a 20th NFL season.
    Financial terms weren't disclosed.

Versus, the television network on which Seau has a show, announced the deal Tuesday. The Patriots haven't officially announced the move, which had been expected, although the team said the 12-time Pro Bowler had a physical and a workout last week. The Patriots also haven't made a roster move to clear space for Seau.
    "I hope at some point he will be (with the team)," Patriots owner Robert Kraft said at the NFL Fall League Meeting in Boston. "He's a unique individual. I'd love to have him part of our team for as long as he wants to."
    Seau, 40, should have a better chance of standing up to running backs than he did to a rodeo bull, which knocked him down on one of the episodes of "Sports Jobs with Junior Seau." He came out of retirement last year to play the final four games with the Patriots after playing 27 games with them in 2006 and 2007.
    One week before New England began its 2009 season, Seau said he'd only consider playing for the Patriots and would be willing to do six games. The team has 11 games left.
    "I'm very fortunate and honored to be involved with two class organizations -- the New England Patriots and Versus," Seau said in a statement released by Versus. "I want to thank the management of both for making my return to the NFL with the New England Patriots a reality."

The 10-episode series begins on Dec. 2. Among Seau's activities are riding a Zamboni at a hockey game between the Boston Bruins and Washington Capitals, working as a ballboy along the left-field line for the Los Angeles Dodgers and carrying a golf bag as an LPGA caddy.
    Seau's return to the Patriots won't affect his role as host of the series, Versus president Jamie Davis said.
    On the Patriots, Seau can provide veteran leadership to a defense that lost safety Rodney Harrison and linebacker Tedy Bruschi to retirement and linebacker Mike Vrabel and Richard Seymour in trades. Seau also provides depth at inside linebacker, a position where the only backup, Eric Alexander, has primarily played on special teams.
    The announcement by Versus seemed to catch Patriots coach Bill Belichick off guard on his regular Tuesday conference call with reporters.
    "Did I miss it? Did we announce anything?" Belichick questioned Patriots assistant director of media relations Aaron Salkin when asked to comment on the announced signing.

When told the team hadn't announced it, Belichick said, "I didn't think so. ... We don't have anything to say about it."
    Director of player personnel Nick Caserio said on his regular conference call immediately following Belichick's that the Patriots gave Seau a physical and worked him out last week.
    "He looked like he's kept himself in shape," Caserio said. "We wanted to make sure, more than anything, from a physical standpoint with the medical information, that he was healthy."
    Seau first retired in August 2006 after 13 seasons with the San Diego Chargers and three with the Miami Dolphins.
    "I'm not retiring. I am graduating. Today is my graduation day," he said then. "Retirement means that you'll just go ahead and live on your laurels and surf all day in Oceanside (Calif.). It ain't going to happen."
    Four days later, Seau signed with the Patriots.
    Seau started 10 of the 11 games he played in 2006 before breaking his arm and four of his 16 in 2007. He came out of retirement for a second time for the final four games last season when the Patriots were hit hard by injuries at linebacker.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d81362085&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

2. Chargers-Superhero

Chargers-Superhero Just win the Damn SB !!!

Ratings:
    +117
    For crying out loud Seau, just graduate already, and wait for the HOF, and the Chargers HOF.

3. 31-last2years-4

31-last2years-4 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +5
    sorry that this is the first post in a while. your site wasn't accepting my login and password.

Seau is going to retire as a Patriot, just like Rodney. And if you get rid of Merriman, don't be surprised if he finds his way to Foxboro, where he'll have shot after shot at a ring. Especially where we could use an OLB pretty bad, even part time until his knee rights itself...

And sorry I was so right about Beli loading your division with players, coaches and execs. LT should never have shot his mouth off at him. There are other ways he can respond than on the field.

Go Bronco's!

4. 31-last2years-4

31-last2years-4 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +5
    ...and if either get's into the hall... yeah, you know how that's going down, too...:flag:

5. BeerGuy

BeerGuy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +80
    Junior? He's now Senior Seau in my eyes. I don't get it, really I don't. I'd rather we kept Vrabel and took his cap hit this year.

Interesting side note, my kids will be on Seau's new show on Vs., during the zamboni episode. His camera crew filmed the zambonis after the Bruins/Ducks game. My kids were riding one of them, while the camera crew rode the other. We all had to sign waivers because we were on camera. Hopefully they'll get to see themselves, rather than ending up on the cutting room floor.:tup:

http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y233/markdoogue/?action=view&current=zamboni1.flv

6. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    dude, I hope your kids appreciate what a good pops they have

:tup::tup::tup:

7. Buck Blincoe

Buck Blincoe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +207
    If Junior doesn't perform, Junior won't play. I doubt he will be paid that much, and if he can stop a few runners, good for Junior and good for the Patriots. What difference does it make?

8. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942

League minimum for 10+ yrs is $845k, I'm not sure if a late signing is prorated. Good for him. Break a leg.

Merriman? My quess is to the Redskins for a #1 + a second day pick, or maybe two.

9. Chargers-Superhero

Chargers-Superhero Just win the Damn SB !!!

Ratings:
    +117
    Are you a Donkey fan or a gay Pats fan, because I can't tell. :icon_rofl:

Oh, and shot after shot at a ring??? You are giving the Patriots too much credit for what they've done in the PAST, to what they MIGHT do in the next 5-7 years of Merriman's upcoming career.

10. BeerGuy

BeerGuy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +80
    I tend to agree with you here. The Pats aren't showing me a whole lot right now. Brady's window is beginning to swing shut. He needs to come on strong, soon, and carry that momentum through the next 2 1/2 seasons for that "prophecy" to become reality.

Merriman isn't the answer to our problems........Brady is.