1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Back to Charger Football

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by TBF, Aug 25, 2007.

1. TBF

TBF BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +148
    I've been hanging out in the "other" threads lately and have lost touch with the purpose of me visiting this site...CHARGER FOOTBALL (not giving mtl a hard time)...

I just watched Kevin Acees last :30 @ 4:30 on Sign on San Diego. I enjoyed wathcing that and it was a short informative feature. I hope they do it in the future.

This sparked some conversatoin between some of my friends. According to Acee, not many spots are up for grabs. He gives the starting CB job to Drayton Florence, noting that he had a very good camp. He also gives the starting nod to Hart over Weddle. Again pointing out that Hart had a great camp.

I'm not surprised at those either. Although I think Cro and Weddle have more upside then the two aforementioned players, currently the best person for the job is starting. Both Cro and Weddle should get tons of playing time. One of my friends was upset with the Florence idea, but I pointed out that he is very aggresive and in your face. That may get us a penalty or two and piss you off at the time, but the things that Drayton does away from the camera or away from the action make him the guy for the job.

Drayton breaks on the ball well. His man coverage skills are well above average and hes a damn good tackler. He did appear to get picked on by StL but he also handled it well last Saturday.

On Weddle...The kid is smart, fast, aggresive and our "future" starting safety. But, the kid is green. He will get plenty of playing time each and every game. Knowing his smarts are on the field on third and long will be good to know.

All in all it sounds like a good camp was had by most accroding to most reports. Acee points out the injuries to Wilhelm and Igor...But, he didn't appear to concerned. I checked KFFL several times a week and it was rather boring minus, Wilhelm and the early injury to Parker...

Personally, Wilhelm needs time on the field. His lack of field time is going to hurt his chances to start. That coupled with the fact that Norval has been quoted as liking Dobbins...Hmmm. This could be golden opportunity missed for MW.

2. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Aw, hell....I liked you better in the Politics thread!! :icon_tease:

3. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    Nice analysis, TBF.

My main concern is not in the secondary, but rather at one of the ILB positions. I'm not sure to what extent we will be able to minimize the downgrade in production/performance by inserting Matt Wilhelm as the new starter at ILB.

This is a key position in the defense, and I havent' seen enough of Wilhelm to be comfortable having him back there.

4. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    You guys need to start watching Steven Cooper.

Dobbins, Wilhelm are bantered about and I rarely find anyone who acknowledges Coopers talents. Coop is the **** guys. I dig this cats game. Watch him off the line and you tell me he is not loaded up with the same quick twitch muscles such as Shaun Phillips.

5. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    I have no problems with Cooper, because I've actually seen the guy make good plays on the field. We'll be fine there, IMO.

:tup:

6. cranberry

cranberry BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +195
    You're right The weakest place at defense is LB and not SS
    Eric Weddle will get better game after game and take over
    Clinton Hart's starting position after 8,10 games.
    To replace Donnie Edwards, will be the stronger job.
    Anthony Waters and Tim Dobbins will need more experience.

7. cranberry

cranberry BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +195
    With Merriman and Phillips playing outside LB
    why can't Polk or Harris play ILB ?

8. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    Wilhelm looked great while he was in last year, he just wasn't the starter. As long as he is able to get back onto the field we are better off at MLB than we were last year.

9. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    We tried that already, and he stunk.

10. cranberry

cranberry BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +195
    OKay

11. TBF

TBF BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +148

TBF = Fan of Coop, he just wasnt' my topic today...So get off my back trumpy...! :icon_tease: