1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Back to the basics

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Jun 16, 2010.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    By Christopher Smith, Chargers.com
    Posted 39 minutes ago
    6-16-2010

[​IMG]

Players prepare for training camp with repetition, fundamentals.

SAN DIEGO – Players like long snapper David BINN likely wouldn’t benefit from this week’s Organized Team Activities (OTAs).
    Its baseline nature might seem dull. But not everyone has spent 16 seasons in the NFL.
    “Any time you’re taking reps it’s going to help you, especially if you’re trying to absorb the information and you have guys that are flying around on both sides of the ball competing,” said cornerback Brandon Hughes[​IMG], who spent last season on Reserve-Injured. “It makes a big difference, especially coming into camp.”
    Since the rookies took the field for orientation, they’ve been asked to absorb and retain a lot of information. This week gives them, and some other young players, a chance to get individualized attention from coaches and reinforce base formations and fundamentals.
    “We’ve got good, young players working, and every opportunity they have like that, they get better,” Head Coach Norv Turner said. “We expose them to an awful lot. These four days are helping them get to camp. We go four days early with the rookies. So they get eight opportunities to get ready for training camp.”
    The players repeat many of the drills they went through during the first eight OTA sessions, giving them an opportunity to acclimate and showcase their skills. The number of players on the field Wednesday was close to half the total that practiced last week and smaller than the number on the active roster during the season.
    “It’s just going over everything we’ve learned. Just review,” Ryan Mathews[​IMG] said. “We went through this stuff several times from rookie orientation to Mini Camp. After a while it just starts clicking. It only takes one time to mess up, and then you know what you’ve got to do.”

FIRST OFF THE FIELD: Undrafted rookie linebacker kion Wilson always is the first Chargers player into the locker room after practice.
    Helmet in hand, No. 42 sprints off the field. Not because he’s anxious to leave, but because it’s his way to memorialize brothers Kellon and Darius.
    (The tradition) started in college,” Wilson said. “I had tragedy strike in my family. I lost two of my brothers. I just dedicate my run to them every day. I take the initiative to run on and off the field every day.
    “That’s just one of the little things that I can do in remembrance of them.”

EARLY EVALUATION: Marcus Mason[​IMG] has practiced with some productive NFL running backs.
    Clinton Portis with the Redskins. Leon Washington and Thomas Jones with the Jets. Willis McGahee and Ray Rice with the Ravens. All five of them made the Pro Bowl, as well as Le’Ron McClain, a fullback that became Baltimore’s primary ball carrier in 2008.
    While that’s made it tough for him to secure an NFL roster spot, he’s seen some talented ball carriers up close.
    So what does he think of the rookie Mathews?
    “He’s fast. He has great vision. He has great potential also,” Mason said. “It’s different when you’re out here with no pads on because you don’t get the correct reads. I guess we’ll see more in training camp.”

BOLTS: Ernest Smith[​IMG]’s reception at the end of Wednesday’s practice forced the defense to run up a hill. The offense ran up the same short, steep incline Tuesday … Traye Simmons[​IMG] intercepted a pass for the second day in a row … Nick Richmond[​IMG] occupied the left tackle spot during team drills, with Corey Clark[​IMG] on the right. Veteran tackle Tra Thomas attended but watched from the side … Jonathan Crompton[​IMG] threaded two defenders to squeeze a pass to Seyi Ajirotutu[​IMG] down the left sideline.

PRACTICE WEATHER: 62 degrees, sunny