1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Back to the glory days of fandom

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by !~BOLT~!, Oct 7, 2009.

1. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205
    I am going to make an attempt at just being a fan again. Long before the internet age where you can't help but analyze and over-analyze the why's and how's we win or lose. I had a much better time supporting this team without the daily visit to what turns into an nfl fans equivalent of an AA meeting with nothing but new attendees. I don't want to break down who sucks and who doesn't anymore.

In grade school, being the only Chargers fan in my town, I heard how bad we sucked all the time. Sure it was true, and yes; I know why we sucked as I memorized our depth chart and each play of every game, but my response was usually "So what". The Chargers didn't reel me in with the hopes of a Lombardi trophy, I didn't have those expectations my entire life, so putting that kind of pressure on (as funny as it sounds) myself just doesn't make any sense, and takes a lot of the fun out of it. I never got into matchup breakdowns, or explained how injured our roster was because it didn't matter, wasn't going to change the fact that I'm a Chargers fan, and it didn't stop me from constantly wearing their hats and jerseys. I was still a fan.

I've seen a lot more losses than wins just as many of you, yet here we are, still loyal (to some degree), still in the same corner. Still hoping for the same outcome. When I use to ride my three wheeler down to the only other Charger fans house (my uncle)in small town Oregon we had many game-day traditions, and were both negatively affected by a loss. It usually meant we would have a horrible week following, and would avoid ESPN or Inside the NFL at all cost. The information age has evolved and multiplied those bad weeks 10 fold. It's not that any one of you feel like jumping ship, nor do I, but playing analyst is no longer something I want to take part in, it's spoiled and tainted what made watching this game, with those emblems fun for me. I'm much more bitter than I used to be following a loss, yet everyone knows it would take an icy plunge into a frozen river followed by a huge case of amnesia to take me out of the Chargers ring of fans.

I'm tired of taking loss's and piss poor performances so hard. I hope to just be a fan from now on, seems I had it all figured out at a young age, and my research and experience has challenged that mentality. Is what I'd like to do is just go back to being a fan of the San Diego Chargers and take it at face value, without the constant expectations modern hype has brought to the equation.

Doesn't mean I'm going to stop frequenting Bolttalk, just means I will most likely have to skip many threads to do so.:lol:

• Like Like x 1
  2. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    You can do both. As much as they'll frustrate you because you break it down even more than some of ESPN's "experts", it's not hard to stay a loyal fan. Do I think they're playing football the way it should be played, hell no. But I'm still a Charger fan because the good times watching them outweigh the bad, especially now.

3. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    Bolttalk sabbaticals are highly recommended when you have reached that point. Lay low until the fire to do a bit of battling in the threads returns. Lurk and laugh at all the dumbasses we can all be on this board.

4. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036

:lol:

Perfect recipe!!!

:flag:

• Like Like x 1
  5. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    Word.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    Sissy.

Start an e-fight instead.

:yes:

7. !~BOLT~!

Ratings:
    +205
    That was my initial instinct, but figured that would just be the definition of insanity...more than likely that's what I will end up doing anyhow lol.

8. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    :tup:

9. cranberry

cranberry BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +195
    superbe. You got the inner light, gratulations.
    But I can't afford the bitter emotions after a lost gameday.
    It shadows whole next week, because the exspectations have been so high.

Staying half the way with you. I stand up next weekend and shout for a win again. (like my brothers and sisters at all football-cities, which haven't won a single Superbowl.)

10. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    Especially tough when we have to stay up until 1:30 AM (or later) to get the result. Makes Monday mornings very tough.

Cranberry, your sig is totally cool now. Like the bolts on the berries.

11. Sandolf

Sandolf Blue Moon Rising

Ratings:
    +410
    When I lived in Germany I found the Monday night game the tough one. I was 2:30 AM before it even started!

viele Grüße nach Europa!

12. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +501
    I never want to go back to those days. The days of dodgy armed forces radio on MW. The days of having to wait until mondays evening paper in Dublin to learn if the Chargers won or lost (more often a loss). The days of having to travel into the city to the 1 shop in Ireland that sold a UK based American Football magazine/paper. Jaysus those were the days.

If we won the lottery we saw about 20 mins of Chargers on the sunday a week following when the game was played on Channel 4. We were completely deprived. Now I overdose everyday and watch every game live thanks to Gamepass. Happy days!.

13. !~BOLT~!

Ratings:
    +205
    I wasn't really suggesting that point in time, moreso the stigma and mentality.

14. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    As long as they're still the "San Diego Chargers," they're my team.

Though there are two positive ways this season can end.
    The best of course would be Chargers winning the Super Bowl!!!
    Second... Norv is fired and AJ on the hot seat!