1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Backup to Jamal; have we thought about this guy?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by AnteaterCharger, Jan 25, 2007.

1. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,929
    Terdell Sands UFA Oakland Raiders
    The defensive tackle entered his fifth NFL season without much fanfare. He was stuck behind other players, and hadn’t been thought of as an impact player by most. However, the former Chattanooga player has shined when given the opportunity. One reason that Sands has been effective is his size. Standing 6’7" and weighing 335 pounds, Sands is enormous, and difficult to take out of a play. His height allows him to bat down passes if he cannot get penetration, and he has developed a decent awareness of where the ball is. In non-starter minutes, he reached his career high in tackles, and earned more and more time each week as he proved he could be a force. The Raider will be well-served to sign him to an extension, but Sands might look elsewhere if Oakland won’t guarantee him more playing time.

6'7 335, dear God he's a freakin tank! And I do remember him being very difficult to move.

2. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,414
    how long until the first person says we can't sign him because he was previously a Raider?

3. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    We don't need no friggin ex-Raiders!!

J.K. Leo.

The guy has looked good in the very limited times I've seen him. I know Raider fans like him. Of course, Raider fans also like mascara and Darth Vader masks, so who knows?

4. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,929
    you mean like how the raiders have no problem signing chargers? man that's just asinine when you consider he's probably cheap and would be the second biggest guy on the team. He's almost as big if not the same size as Marcus McNeil!

5. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,414
    That's not my thought process.

It just seems that everytime free agency comes around, whenever a thread comes up suggesting we sign a former Raider there's at least one or two yayhoos who say no on the grounds that he used to wear silver and black.

It's the same thing in baseball. Some people hated the Mike Piazza signing just because he, heaven forbid, used to play for the Dodgers.

6. MtlBoltsFan

MtlBoltsFan Jesse Ventura/Howard Stern 2016

Ratings:
    +383
    I have always loved this guy. I think he has stamina problems but as a backup he is great. Really underrated and one of the better backup defensive tackles in the league. He really causes problems for interior linemen.

7. Lightning's Girl

Lightning's Girl Mod Chick =) Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,153
    Yeah---at 6'7" and 335, he ought to present a rather formidable obstacle!

And I don't really care if he played for the Raiders, even though I hate 'em just as fiercely as anyone else. When they come here, they're CHARGERS!!

• Like Like x 2
  8. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,929
    precisely, unless they're like tim brown or just bastards like warren sapp or charles woodson, i welcome them in and a guy that size would be an amazing assest to have, not to mention he'd be cheap

9. MtlBoltsFan

MtlBoltsFan Jesse Ventura/Howard Stern 2016

Ratings:
    +383
    Nick Hardwick has nightmares about Terdell Sands. Sands pancaked him like 5 times over his career.

10. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    i wouldnt mind seeing sands or sapp on the bolts

(like the campbells commercial)
    san diego, possibilities.

11. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,414
    What's wrong with Tim Brown?

If he was still in his prime I'd take him in a heartbeat.

12. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Would he get much playing time since we have Jamal?

13. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Woops.

Sorry. I though it said "Back to Jamal." Like if there was something to be said about Jamal through all of this. :icon_tease:

14. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    Except for Steve Ortmeyer.

It sounds like the guy wants PT, and he isn't going to get it backing up Jamal. PT = payday on his next contract. I seriously doubt that this guy would come here to be a backup.

15. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    Sands YES :yes:, Sapp NOOOOOO :no:!

16. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,929
    he was much further in the depth chart of the raiders behind kelly, sapp and previously washington. If we get Sands we can rotate him in and out more often with Jamal keeping both of them fresh. It is possible to get him more time because there's just one person in front of him

17. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    Sands would be great. But no way would he accept being a backup. And he is a freaking Turd. No freaking Turds on our team. It really is a simple rule. Why is so hard to follow? Eliminating less than 4% of the players available from the pool shouldn't hurt us. No freaking Turds.

Gather around brothers and sisters and listen. I say to you all. We must stay free of the pestilence that lies in the valley of the Turds. Wash away thine sins brothers and cast away any blackness, cheap face paint, and plastic shoulder spikey things that may lie in a small, imperceptable part of your heart and see the light!.... No.. See the Lightning!! Forever cast away any thought of cavortation with the pure evil that disguises itself in human form as a 2-14 abomination. Rejoice only in the lightning that strikes in the form of an AJ 4th round Pro Bowl pick and do not be pulled in the vortex of the Black Death.

18. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    :lol: :icon_eek: :lol:

19. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,929
    you know if he bcomes a charger he ceases to be a turd and becomes a charger you do realize that right?

20. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    Once a Turd, always a Turd.

21. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,929
    that only applies to long term turds a'la Charles Woodson, Tim Brown, Jerry Rice (but he's half and half) and people who have spent a long time with the organization. Sands hasn't, he can still be redeemed

22. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +715
    Sands yes, Sapp Nooooooooooooo!

• Like Like x 1