1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Bad day for our football teams - Brady Hoke named Michigan coach

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by wrbanwal, Jan 11, 2011.

1. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    ANN ARBOR, Mich. -- Michigan has picked Brady Hoke as its new football coach.

Athletic director Dave Brandon announced the decision Tuesday, hours after LSU said Les Miles would be staying with the Tigers.

Hoke coached San Diego State in 2009-10 and was the Ball State coach from 2003-08. He will be introduced at a news conference in Ann Arbor on Wednesday.

He replaces Rich Rodriguez, who was fired last week after three disappointing seasons.

2. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    Good for him, on to bigger and better things.

I hope the Aztecs find a good replacement.

3. SDBoltzFan

SDBoltzFan BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +10
    Nice....Maybe San Diego is cursed.

4. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,746
    cursed how?

5. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,581
    Early rumors floated ex-Aztec Herm Edwards name around. Yes, THAT Herm Edwards:

6. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,746
    Herm @ SDSU would be all kinds of awesome, just for the sheer amount of win he delivers in his pressers.

7. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,728
    Well, it won't be Herm. Local SD news just announced that Rocky Long will take over as coach. Long is the DC for the Aztecs. Used to be the head coach at New Mexico.

8. Old School SD Fan

Old School SD Fan Unhappy Camper

Ratings:
    +13
    San Diego has no major or prestigious universities so far as either sports or education is concerned. Thus the schools will always be stepping stones or dumping grounds for coaches. Sad, but true. Just as the economics of MLB will always leave the Pads on the short end trying to be competitive on the most unequal of playing grounds.

9. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    ^And what do we make of the Giants? San Francisco isn't a much bigger market than SD and suffers from the same "transplants" problem.

10. BlazingBolt

BlazingBolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +36
    http://www.xxsportsradio.com/common/global_audio/40/25669.mp3
    Kyle Turley says he texted Hoke:
    "I understand what you gotta do for you and yours, but just the same FUUCKKK You and FFUUCCKKK Michigan, GO AZTECS. I hope you lose every damn game. That was BS move brother and you know it."

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2011/jan/12/hoke-passionate-first-comments-michigan/

Brady Hoke thanked a lot of people. His family, of course. Every coach who has touched him during his career, naturally. The administrators from the University of Michigan who brought him to Ann Arbor. He even thanked his predecessor, Rich Rodriguez, who was fired after three seasons.

But not once during Hoke's introduction as the new head football coach at Michigan did he thank San Diego State or the players he coached the last two years.

Hoke told reporters he blasted a text message to SDSU players, but never addressed them because they were on winter break. Hoke said he has no plans to return to San Diego.

"Character wins in life and character wins on the football field," Hoke said.

11. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,407
    they're not building any dynasties in San Fran.

We can only hope the Pads have a great year at some point and get it all.

12. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    I think SF its much larger and pulls from the San Jose area as well. that's like 5 million people.

13. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    What goes around comes around and Hoke may just find himself the butt end of the joke. Time will tell.

14. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,072
    didnt Hoke say it all along that his dream job was the Michigan Head Coach!

15. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    Yeah so I'm not surprised with this - it's not like he left for another mid major or some other random place, basically he left for the job he'd always wanted

Rocky Long is a damn good coach though he turned New Mexico into a powerhouse. With the talent here he'll make a damn good coach

16. Zeus

Zeus BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +83

I don't think you have any idea what your talking about regarding no major or pretigious university in San Diego. In regards to percieved sport history and image your 100% correct. People think that San Diego has no good college sports program. Even having one of the best basketball teams in college San Diego takes a hit in recognition.

However, in size and academics SDSU, USD, and UCSD are some of the best in the nation and better than most states have.

SDSU is the largest university in San Diego and the fifth largest in California. San Diego excels in research and the medical field. SDSU is ranked top 10 in half a dozen fields, the best small research school in the country. UCSD is world renowned. Both are top schools. The Bay Area is even better with Berkely and Stanford to name a few.

The reason why they don't draw as much sports is because as mentioned preceived sports history (IE "traditions" and the past") less of a sports alumni network, and money put in the sports programs.

Just my two cents.

17. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    agree completely.

old skool was talking out his hind qtrs on that point.

18. SDBoltzFan

SDBoltzFan BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +10
    If something can go wrong with one of our sports teams it usually does.

19. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +683
    Since I live up here in the bay area I have a good take on the fan base.

SF is a much bigger market than SD. They sell out the stadium on a regular basis. They had a payroll 97,828,833 and SD was about a 1/3 of that. SF had 10k more peeps per game attendance then SD did.

20. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,407
    It's not just about attendance. In fact, attendance plays second fiddle in the "market size" discussion. It's about television revenue and how far those TV deals can spread.

The Padres can't spread very far because they're blocked by LA, Arizona, Mexico, and the Pacific Ocean. They're pretty much limited to San Diego and Imperial counties.

Meanwhile, the Giants can market (albeit shared with the A's) most all of Northern and Central California. It also helps them that the San Fran metro area is much larger than the San Diego metro area.

21. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    The Giants have even a much larger Market to include part of Oregon, Idaho and Nevada. The Padres Will Never get that much of a Market. The Padres are Always going to be Small.

22. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    SDSU also has the hottish chicks in the nation. I should know going there years ago and things haven't changed. Babes just everywhere at that school trust me. Playboy always picked SDSU as one of the top party schools in the nation. I know this has nothing to do with sports but at least we have that! :lol:

23. Zeus

Zeus BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +83
    Yea I know what you mean. When you compare things such as a good education per dollar, great city and great weather SDSU ranks very very high. I know people who have HUGE student loans and no jobs with a degree just as good as one from SDSU who would agree in the end the cost of education does matter. Fact is are you going to get paid 10 times more with a degree from an overrated ivy league school. No.

24. Aggieman

Ratings:
    +194
    Yeah, this was a better response. And you know I understand, as I'm the one that keeps telling people to understand that an AFC team in LA will horribly hurt the Chargers. Spanos has been looking into the LA area, no two ways about it. He has no choice. Even if he takes off, the front office knows that football's future in San Diego is dependent on football's future in Los Angeles.

25. Aggieman

Ratings:
    +194
    Yo San Diego I'm happy for you, but UC Santa Barbara has the hottest chicks in the nation! ...And they're smarter too.