1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Bad Moon Rising or is it setting: Union boss: Owners bracing for no football in 2011

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by ThunderHorse17, Oct 5, 2010.

1. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
  2. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    NFL Players Association executive director DeMaurice Smith sees new signs that owners are preparing for a football-free 2011.

With support from Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers, he asked fans to take the players' side.

Speaking at a tailgate-style fan luncheon a few blocks from Lambeau Field on Tuesday, Smith referred to a recent Sports Business Journal report that said the NFL is requiring banks that lend money to its teams to extend grace periods for loan defaults through the end of the 2011 season in the event of a lockout.

"That to me is a step where the owners are protecting themselves in the event that there is no season," Smith said.

Smith said that move, along with provisions in television deals that provide for some payments even if there is a lockout, are evidence that owners are planning for the possibility that there won't be a season in 2011.

NFL officials did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Rodgers, the Packers' newly elected player representative to the union, asked the crowd of about 300 fans for their support.

"We're going to keep you guys daily on our minds and we realize how much this means, and affects not only us but this community," Rodgers said. "We thank you for your support, and stand with us. It's going to be a tough fight, but we're trusting that in the end everything's going to turn out to way it's supposed to."

In a meeting Monday, Packers players voted to become the latest NFL team to give the union approval to decertify in the event of a lockout. Decertification would give players the right to sue the NFL under antitrust laws if there is a lockout, a threat that could strengthen the players' position in CBA negotiations.

Smith said lawsuits have played an important role in past gains by the players, referencing late Packers icon Reggie White's role in the implementation of today's free agency system.

"Look, the fact is most of our fans who love this game right now believe mistakenly that free agency was a gift to the players," Smith said. "That's not true. Reggie White and Freeman McNeil put their careers on the line and had to sue for free agency."

But Smith wouldn't say whether the union or individual players currently are considering a new lawsuit, or are simply relying on the threat of legal action to force owners to make concessions in negotiations.

"The only thing that we will do is continue to protect our interest," Smith said.

Smith said players have always been willing to keep playing under an extension of the existing CBA, and reiterated complaints that owners refuse to open their financial records. As the NFL's only publicly owned franchise, the Packers are the only team that makes it financial information public.

The Packers posted an operating profit of approximately $9.8 million in the fiscal year that ended March 31, down from $20.1 million the previous year. Taking into account investment losses that were less severe, the team reported net income of approximately $5.2 million, up from $4 million.

"Show us the financial data that says that the National Football League is in some sort of economic [hardship]," Smith said. "And so far all we've heard back is from their lead negotiator, who said that's none of our business."

Smith took a positive tone when he spoke about his good working relationship with NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell, but wasn't willing to estimate how likely it was that a new deal could come together in the near future.

"It seems to me that the greatest gift we could possibly give is a Christmas gift where we sign a new deal and tell people that football for our fans is not only going to continue, but the businesses that rely on football and the jobs that this game generates are going to be secure," Smith said.

3. nflhof

nflhof BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    D. Smith is looking for a fight and he wont win it. I wish he would just shut up and try to work a deal.

4. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Record as many games as you can. We did not think the strike would happen and it did.

5. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    Can someone volunteer to do this for me? I can pay $ on the disk... All I got to work with is local broadcast KC games and a VCR. Anyone remember what that is?

6. Scott the Rock

Scott the Rock BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +130
    If there is no NFL next year I will eat my hat! There is way too much money tied up into the NFL football season. All the major networks. Ticket sales. Jersey sales and team memorabilia. Player's money. Owners money. VEGAS MONEY!!! I don't think so. I could be wrong. I will say one thing, if it does happen it won't be just 2011 the league will lose. They may lose alot of fans for years to come. It took the NHL quite some time to recover.

7. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +505
    You too young to remember '82 then?. I remember it so well. We did v well with the scrubs we brought in off the street but it was a disaster of a season overall though.

8. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    the NFL might just loose this fan.

9. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    The owners will be paid if games are played or not.

10. Scott the Rock

Ratings:
    +130
    I went those games thank you very much.

11. Scott the Rock

Ratings:
    +130
    Do you realize how much money Jerry Jones makes durring his preseason events?

• Like Like x 1
  12. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Huh?

13. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    The money they make will have to be paid back. They don't just get a year of free money. They will just have the ability to pay it back over time, and it ensures the owners have the money to pay their bills incase of a lock out. But it will still have to be paid back

14. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    They will 'pay' nothing back. It will be worked out in future deals that is all.

They have money coming in during a time when no games are played. That is the important part of this...

15. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Absolutely, which is also why the players are trying to get the courts to put that money put into an escrow account so the owners don't have income during the lockout. I think there is a possibility it may go since the Players have a reasonable claim that that money is also their's

16. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Yes, I wish them luck, but I cant imagine that will be the outcome.

I want to taze both sides in the nads myself....

• Like Like x 1
  17. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    My only issue is that the owners just want the players to trust that they are not making money and are refusing to open their books. I know damn well, I wouldn't cave either unless I had a reason to believe that what the owners are asking for is in the best interest of the league.

18. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    I'm all for the lockout, both the owners and player's will shoot themselves in the foot. Football grew off the backs of the average Joe, now Joe can't even afford to bring his family to a game. Screw the both of them, owners and players.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    This is a buulllshitt excuse.

If anyone wants to see "the books", they need go no further than the Packers who are publically owned and are sold out since forever.

The Packers make their balance sheets available to the public so the excuse of not knowing what a team makes is crap.

Further, if my company is not publically traded and is a closely held private corporation as is the case with NFL teams, it is none of your effing business what I make.

How would you like your employees who make millions to ask to see your checkbook and bank accounts or they threaten you with class action lawsuits?

That is freaking communism as far as I am concerned.

20. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    Not true.

There is going to be alot of public posturing leading up to a new CBA.

21. ChargerFanInBuf

ChargerFanInBuf Representin... NY Chapter

Ratings:
    +1
    It will end up with the players caving on an 18-game season, or ending up locked out. Otherwise, they're going to be hung out to dry. The league really needs a reality check with their practices of soaking the average fan who can't afford to go to the games or isn't near them every way possible (Sports bar fines, blackouts, anti-online stream practices, etc) but nobody is in position to give it to them.

22. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Care to enlighten me how it is not true, when the contracts they have enacted with DirecTV, ESPN, NBC etc will indeed pay them through a no-game season?

23. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    The NFLPA has access to the books. There is little secrests between the two bodies. There are some 'silos' of cash that the NFLPA cannot have access to, but they can still see the ammounts and where that cash is coming from.

24. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    This has already been agreed upon in the CBA so there is no "caving" by anyone.

25. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    What are you talking about?

26. ChargerFanInBuf

Ratings:
    +1
    Anything "agreed upon" now is subject to give and take. If the players don't like what they hear from the owners they'll toss that out the window.

27. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    1 team out of 32 doesn't mean squat. On top of that, they made $8-9 mil in 2009, and $20 mil in 2008 after paying all their bills. That is pretty good profit margin. As long as their are teams like Dallas spending Billions on a new stadium, there will always be questions when the owners claim they aren't making enough profit.

And when the owners are telling their employees that they are not making profit, and want their employees to take a pay cut, no unionized organization is going to just trust that the owner isn't making enough. They are a privately owned company, but when you ask employees to take a pay cut, you need to justify it

Open the freakin books, or shut your mouth and quit crying

28. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    And you think that will change? The owners will charger every penny they can. Even if they could get the players to take a 50% pay cut, the owners aren't going to cut ticket prices. They will just make more profit

29. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Article XXXVIII, Section 12 of the CBA

Read it

30. ChargerFanInBuf

Ratings:
    +1
    See the remainder of the sentence. And I think banning online streams and such and the exclusive Sunday Ticket deal are actually holding them back from making more money.