1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Balls and Birds week 5

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by matilack, Oct 7, 2012.

1. Brundlefly

Brundlefly Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +306
    Did anyone notice the stat how Norv has the worst (or 2nd worst to Dick Vermeil) record in NFL history in one possession games.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. socaldelmar

socaldelmar Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +20
    Balls: Mathews, Liuget, Meachem, Royal, Brown, Rivers, Floyd

Birds: Refs, oline in the 2nd half, secondary, Norv, Collinsworth, NFL

3. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,773
    Really? No way! I'm shocked! :eek:

4. socaldelmar

socaldelmar Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +20
    I saw that, #1 is Dick Vermiel

Not a good stat, but I guess you could say you have to have some pretty good teams to be in that many one possession games... or that you have just coached a lot of games ;)

5. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,777
    Vermiel won a Lombardi and also ran the San Diego Offense.

6. Whooki Mane

Whooki Mane BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +179
    It didnt lose the game but it was one of the few plays that ruined our chances that we could control... there is nothing we can do to prevent bad calls by refs but getting a hurt and limping LT out of the game is something we easily could have and should have done... Every coach on the coaching staff is responsible to get him off the field and Gaither in my opinion is responsible to get himself off the field.. this is the NFL and yes people gain respect by playing hurt and being a "tough guy" but not when playing hurt means playing at the level Gaither was playing at those last plays.... i would have loved to know what was going through his mind as he was in his stance on that last play knowing he couldnt move to pass block as he just stood there and watched rivers get sacked... everybody knew it was going to happen, collinsworth even pointed it out and of course the only person that didnt see that coming was norv... good ol norv, even when its going good for ol norvy i find it hard to truely believe in him.. have norv talk x's and o's and yea hes one of the best but when it comes to making game decisions he is probably one of the worst of all time... either way that play truly made me sick to watch to watch simply because i knew it was coming

7. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,079
    Balls:
    Floyd - Mugged consistently every time he went near the middle of the field and still had a ******* of a game.
    Gates - See above. Needs to get in someone's ear about how to use him more effectively in the red zone though (his two strongest plays are a short screen to let him make a play - something we got away from using him on when that duty was given to Sproles and then Tolbert, but we have since no one in that role so it should be his - and the back-shoulder fade).
    Mathews - Almost goes into the neutral category because damnit man you need to learn to pass-block better (that, not the fumbling issue is what's keeping him off the field so much).
    Ronnie Brown - This may be the only game of the year we see this from him, but he made the most of nearly every touch he was given. Now please teach Mathews to pass-block so you can go back to being a healthy game day inactive.
    Liuget - Finally justifying that first round pick, eh pig? Was a close to a dominant defensive lineman as we had tonight, extremely active hands batting at passes. God if only we had a legitimate, versatile NT, the things you could do.

Neutral:
    Weddle - An otherwise great game marred by biting way hard on an underneath route and leaving centerfield completely untended.
    Clary - Damnit man! You had a very good first three quarters then remembered you were Jeromey Clary in the 4th. I actually saw you execute a textbook pancake on a guy tonight and giving massive effort run-blocking. However, I'm confident the Clary we saw in the 4th quarter will be the one we continue to see more times than not for the remainder of the season.
    Gaither - An otherwise extremely good game marred by being too proud to just go down - you don't even have to necessarily get off the field. If you're hurt you're no good to the team. We had a TO to burn. Yes, it sucks. But better to get healthy personnel on that can keep up with the hurry-up offense and burn that TO than waste more time waiting for you to get downfield with the rest of the guys and lined up.

Birds:
    Bigby - If you're going to draw attention to yourself with your "look at me" pro-Rastafarian intro, then you'd better show up and you didn't. Granted, Jimmy Graham is no easy assignment, but you sold-out the deep third way, way too much.
    Every Corner - Yes, zone doesn't play to any of your strengths. Yes, there was nothing Cason could do on the second TD he gave up (he was boxed out entirely by a bigger man). But you all had the collective instincts of a bar of soap tonight. None of them seemed aware of the scheme as a whole and only what they themselves were supposed to do and once that was fulfilled, "Oh well... it's not on me..."
    Norv - 3 downs from the oppositions 2 yard line to take a two TD lead into halftime and you don't try to run it at least once? I'm not even saying put Mathews in. Give it to Battle. Give McClain a crack with Rosario or McMichael lined up as the FB. This is a run defense that has been Swiss cheese all season and you're working out of shotgun?!
    Ollie Wilson - You worthless piece of trash, get off my coaching staff. Not being able to pass-block is acceptable and almost expected for a first-year player. For a third-year player that's inexcusable. Yes, some of Mathews' issues in how he carries the rock and his inability to read defenses well enough to locate the blitzer in pass-blocking are on him, but they're all coachable faults. So bloody COACH them out of him, you buffoon!
    David Chau and anyone on the Medical Staff - Why aren't you in jail? How do you still have a job? Honestly, you must have greater blackmail material on the Spanos family than Jeromey Clary does.
    Refs - I called it before this game even started, we were prime for an officiating crew with an obvious bias for the home team in this one (0-4 underachieving Saints team, playing at home, with Brees queuing up to break Johnny U's record), but I didn't think it would be this bad. Consistency was non-existent; there was a clearly different standard for what constituted a foul if you were wearing blue versus if you were wearing white tonight. Making matters worse, on most of the largely game-altering calls replays showed an official looking DIRECTLY AT the incident in question and still making the horrid call/non-call. I haven't felt like I just got done raw and dirty in a prison shower like this since Hochuli was on my TV telling me how "He made a mistake, but he can't do anything about it so the Donkos still win undeservedly."

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,707
    Guys. Disagree, fine, but knock off the smack talk unless you take it to the appropriate section in the forum. Do I make myself clear?

• Like Like x 1
  9. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +449
    Balls - Mathews (pass blocking aside he is a stud), Meachem (for that first TD, he wanted it this week), Liuget (showing us some serious 3-4 DE play now) and Malcom.

Birds - Norv (playcalling, passing on 2nd and 3rd down from the 2 yd line jeeeez, and injury mismgmt), the corners (Gilchrist didn't look awful out there unlike Cason), the NFL for the Drew lovefest which involved the officials.

For the record Ingram's rtp call was fair in my book, he needs to learn that he cannot do that, loved how he beat the tackle though. Hopefully we'll see much more of him.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    All I have left for this one is a big bird for the refs. We got jobbed & that's that. There was a pre-arranged narrative that was going to be met regardless of how the Chargers played.

Time to move on & stick a fork in the Donks. We're still leading the division.

11. rickochey

rickochey BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    NO BAlls should be given to the Chargers as they lost to the WORST DEFENSE IN THE LEAGUE!!!!

12. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,640
    Balls = Saints, the awesome people of New Orleans
    Birds = Chargers

13. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +837
    Everyone who is upset at Ingram should lay off, it's not his fault he has a large head and tiny arms;)

But seriously the biggest issue on our team is the fact that they beat themselves, This isn't the first time the Chargers have had a lead and as soon as a B.S. call goes against them they lose their cool which affects their flow, instead of playing the game it seems like they were too busy arguing about the flags.

When we had the lead in the 3rd quarter they should have had Mathews and Battle run it every play, kill the clock, control the tempo. They panicked and let the Saints own the game the rest of the night.

WTF was Gilchrist doing on Colston the entire night, Colston is a slot WR but also their number 1. They should have put Gilchrist on Camarillo and Jammer on Colston. Terrible job by the coaching staff IMO after his 2nd TD with on 100 yards you would have thought they would figure that Colston is beating them 9 times out of 10 and maybe they should adjust.

All that said that was the worst officiating I have ever seen towards the end.

14. eoconnor101

eoconnor101 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +35
    Balls

Liuget (big sack, harassed all night)
    Weddle (some big tackles, not his fault Pagano left single coverage on Colston all night)
    Philips (big game again)
    Ingram (great play on Brees, would not be a foul on a fellow rookie or 3 years ago)
    Floyd (this just in: Malcom Floyd is amazing)
    Meachem (breakout game, Jenkins was a total punk)
    Matthews (shades of Gary Anderson diving somersault)
    Gates (did all he could being held shoved and shirt grabbed all night)
    Gaither (played well, Matthews big runs were his way, not his job to go down and cost us 10 seconds at the end, O-line coach is supposed to see that and adjust, there is more to this as well...1) if he motions he's hurt and can't get off the field, or costs us time, all the tweeters out there that gave him **** for his fake hurt back just fire that back up again, he was trying to play tough, play hurt, like 75% said he should weeks 1-3.

Birds

Refs (get the biggest one, no conspiracy theory but try to call it both ways)
    Jenkins (Biggest punk performance i've seen since Cromartie, should have had two more Personals and probably be ejected)
    O-line (second half)
    O-line coach (were you taking a piss?)
    NFL (your punishment doesn't count this week)
    Chris Collinsworth (surprised you could talk with Brees balls on your chin)
    CASON (this guy is not an NFL level player, WAKE UP! Try anything else, anything, WR from the practice squad is better?
    Goodman (he has had more than enough chances to show he's a threat, when he gets to the open field he slips, other than that he runs ten yards into the nearest opposing players)
    Bigby (University of Jah, Rastafari? Are you F'in joking you idiot, do they teach deep cover classes there? If so, you were obviously smoking and playing hackysack in the quad during them.)