1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Balls N' Birds -- Week 1

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by BoltFanDC, Sep 10, 2012.

1. BoltFanDC

BoltFanDC Mufflers Are Overrated

Ratings:
    +329
    We can nitpick all we want about various things in the opener, but the following cannot be disputed:
    - The Chargers are 1-0, beating their arch rivals
    - The Chargers are 1-0 in the AFC West, and nobody else is

Balls
    Shaun Phillips - 3 sacks in the second half. Beastly
    Nate Kaeding - 5 FGs, and eliminated the return game with touchback after touchback
    Phillip Rivers -- Not gaudy stats, but very efficient and NO TURNOVERS
    Dante Rosario -- The blocked punt was a killer
    The Front Seven -- Held a strong running team to a very pedestrian output

Birds
    Antoine Cason -- What the hell were you doing for half the night? You sure as hell weren't covering
    Red Zone Offense -- This should have been a blowout. Need to finish drives, better teams will hurt us if we don't
    Run Blocking -- Was there any?

Next up -- Tennessee at home. Should hopefully go to 2-0. Lines are open.

2. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    you forgot Mike Harris, he held his own

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Harley

Harley BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +82
    Butler is a beast

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. BoltFanDC

Ratings:
    +329
    Also a nice game, with half a sack and at least two tackles for losses.

5. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Balls -
    Mike Harris - Did terrible in run blocking, but kept PR upright.
    Shaun Phillips - HE'S BACK, and thats huge for our D.
    Jammer - Best game he's played in a long time. Albeit against a rookie.
    Nate Kaeding - He's still pretty good in the regular season...when the game is in hand...when there is no wind...when its inside 45 yards.
    Donald Butler - BEAST

Birds -
    Norv Turner - For the love of god stop running up the middle on 1st down! He killed a handfull of drives by being a freakin coward, and of course failed to use Eddie Royal....as I feared he would. Once again this offense looks to be off to a slow start.
    O-line - Pathetic job run blocking, flat out got manhandled.

6. Whooki Mane

Whooki Mane BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +271
    Donald Butler is gonna have a MONSTER year... blew up mcfadden in pass pro at least 3 times got a sack on one of them... love watching him play.

Rivers actually settled for the check downs tn and had a great game. need to improve in the redzone but hard to be a good offense in the redzone when you cant run the ball.. getting mathews back will help this offense a ton.

Mike Harris did surprisingly well and held his own out there.

Was happy with the defense.. started off shaky but didnt allow any explosive plays and stepped up in the 2nd half.

Cason n Jammer were they great? maybe not, but they definitely looked improved from last year ... i thought cason made some rlly nice plays on the ball

7. Joy Division

Joy Division Slightly-known Member

Ratings:
    +542
    I think Denver can dispute that which is in bold.

Anyway,
    I can add:
    Balls: Atari Bigby. Dude can hit and showed some good tackling technique tonight.
    Birds: My guy, Antoine Cason: Dude can not hit, can half-*** cover, and is afraid to tackle (reminds me of someone)

8. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,584
    Birds:
    To whiny bookyaks who said we would suck in ALL phases of tonights game.

Balls:
    The D. Holding McFadden to 32 yards?
    Kaeding, YES HIM.5 FG's and ALL kickoffs were touchbacks.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Nomad

Nomad Very Senior Member

Ratings:
    +155
    Denver is 1-0 but they are 0-0 in the AFC West. We have the only Divisional win so far.

Only balls tonight: Pagano, Butler, Harris, and PR.

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    McFadden also had 13 catches for 86 yards...and there were more than a few occasions where he was wide freakin open.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. BoltFanDC

Ratings:
    +329
    Since when did the Steelers join the AFC West? Read closer. :)

12. Harley

Harley BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +82
    Balls Aj. His picks on D are show'in up. Not just Reyes and Ingram; Luiget, Butler, even Stockley is gonna be a special teams gamer (even w/the penalty).

13. MadMike

MadMike Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +504

First off, gotta say holding McFadden to 2.5 yards a carry or less is an amazing turnaround for a team that gave it up in droves to these guys last year. The new younger faster front seven really did the work here tonight.

Balls:

Mike Harris - First game as a UDFA (Did you see the stat where he is only the second UDFA to start at OT in his first game in the last 50 years) and the kid held his own. A little shaky in the first, had a lot of help chipping, but towards the end of the game they were leaving him solo and the kid did well. Kid deserves 2 game balls for that.

Nate the Great: Got to add him a second time, possibly his best game as a pro. Did he get a spring installed in that ACL? He doesnt get 6 touchbacks in a season let alone 6 in 1 game.

DB: Kid is fast, smart, and tackles like a beast.

Ming the Merciless - Gets a Bird for gifting them the touchdown after the late hit, gets a ball for the forced fumble, the repeated QB pressures, and being the guy to catch the ball ont he hands team.

Corey Liuget - Kid looks brand new out there. Dropping 15 pounds has turned him into a speedy beast. He seems stronger and faster than last year. He pushed lineman back to the QB, he shed blocks and make tackles. Hell kid even chased runners down from behind. Great game. This pick is looking better and better. Keep it up.

QJ: Jammer will never be the CB from 4 years ago when people were straight up scared to throw his way, but after settling the off the field turmoil from last year we have a very smart hard hitting CB who played his *** off tonight, and the PI was BS.

Bigby - Stay healthy cause you looked really solid out there tonight. Hits hard and covers well.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    Most of what I saw (2nd half-thanks a lot poly sci class) was covered already but I thought it worth a Ball for Liuget on that one armed throwdown/tackle (I think it was on McFadden-wasn't able to hear the call or see who he tackled at the bar) but definitely caught that move. It was sweet :)

Ball for Gates on that crazy one-handed grab and hanging on while being tackled. All after a rib injury. Lovely~

Bird for redzone offense. Let's get that fixed up sooner rather than later please-thanks.

15. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,584
    He had those catches because he was the safety valve for Palmer. Deep options weren't there.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    Balls: Chargers
    Birds: Raiders

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  17. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    Ok well ill play this a lil

more Balls: Secondary Play

Every deep throw or run I saw ended up with the CB and the S over the top converging on the ball/carrier. Bigby looked like hes the perfect fit to E-Dub. And at least most times I saw a CB lookin like they were struggling to get the play ended, there was either Bigby or Weddle right there to seal the play.

Birds: Failure to capitalize on turnovers.

Glad Baby Face was able to get his kicks, but CMON we need to get TDs on those gimmies.

18. Joy Division

Joy Division Slightly-known Member

Ratings:
    +542
    Oh, I see. I read it as in the AFC West (standings) and
    didn't make the leap of (against AFC West opponents).

19. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,160
    Obviously, any time you get 5 (mostly shortish) field goals, the offense needs work. Especially the ground game.

But given that the franchise running back and (possibly best) starting receiver wasn't there,
    I'll take the win + zero INTs (or fumbles!) as sufficient this time.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Duffman57

Duffman57 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +136
    Allright, I'll drink the koolaid...

Balls-
    Bend But Dont Break: This is something that i haven't seen mention yet from any chargers breakdown. But when we had such a successful D with Wade, the key was to bend but dont break. We can give up yardage, but when we get into the redzone, we need to fight to give up as little points as possible, forcing FG, when TD's should be scored, and tonight we did that to perfection.

SP95: He really played his but off, and i think we're using him 100% correct now. I'm glad to see we're really using all 5 of our pass rushers this game, rotating them in and out and moving them around, especially Ingram and Phillips, thats what they've got.

DL Was shut down the whole game, holding a very good Raiders rushing attack to 45ish yards and no TD's is an amazing accomplshment, and McFadden only had 32 yards...

Melvin Ingram- He's the playmaker we thoguht he was. Made some boneheaded rook mistakes, but the FF on a hustle play, and an onside recovery made this game...

Bigby- This kid played much better than given credit for. Was covering all backs out of the backfield, and for the most part did a great job, great job filling in the run game, and just flew around and made plays. If he can stay on the field, we've got a BIG upgrade at that SS spot for a few years.

Butler- Kid is one of the best LB's in the game. Plain and simple, big, fast, strong, instinctive, and just makes plays all over the field and flies around. He's gonna establish himself as a top 5 ILB in the NFL this year, book it...

Mike Harris- Always cool cuz my best friend in college is really tight with him back in LA, but he was awesome today, let alone for a UDFA rook. Didn't let up a sack, had a few plays where he got beat, but Rivers has enough skill to get around pressure like that, as long as its not right at him. He didn't get made a fool of, and thats all you can ask for for a UDFA Rook starting LT....

QJam- Like others said, he's never gonna be the same, but right now, he's a big, strong CB, that knows how to play a ball and is real physical with receivers. He was great all game.

Rivers- Made great decisions all game, in a game where he had no run game to lean on whatsoever. A couple of dropped balls could have put this game at a complete domination level.

Travis Goethel: Just keep doin what u do my man. Former Charger helpin us out.

Birds:
    OL- Even though the Raiders do have an elite DT pairing, and great run defending DE and LB's, the OL didn't open holes or get movement on ONE single play i saw. We REALLY need to get someone in there to move some people.

Cason- Though i'm not sure this was anything that he could do about it. That Off coverage we were playing was strictly to prevent plays over the top, giving WR's a large cushion for those 10 yard comeback routs and whatnot, and he'll never be a great off man corner. As you can see many times, bump and run is his strongsuit, he can play the ball well and is pretty physical, but just doesn't have the plant and accelerate skills that is needed to make the plays he missed.

Red Zone O: We need to stop settling for FGs. We just gotta start scoring TDs. Those two drops by Gates (but especially the one in the back of the endzone) really hurt us, and would've given us 4 points. Overall, if a couple of balls were placed less than a foot more towards the receiver, or lower, and a ball that was dropped was caught, then we have at least 2 TD's in place of 2 FG's, and this game's a blowout. Little mistakes like that need to be sharpened, but i expect them to wear off in the next couple of games, these things are just gonna happen early in the season.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210
    Balls: referring to Ingram as "Ming the Merciless"

Birds: Anyone who doesnt refer to Ingram as "Ming the Merciless"

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  22. rickochey

rickochey BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    How can you say this when PR is the one throwing the ball? PR is the one making the decisions and determining who is open and who is not. It is PR job to protect the ball and not throw turn overs.

23. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Mine's in the game thread. Go look if you care - I ain't repeating it. :)

24. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    Balls

Shaun Phillips - big big second half
    Malcolm Floyd/Robert Meachem/Eddie Royal - the first made great catches all day long, the second made a huge momentum shifter, the third looks oh so dangerous
    Donald Butler -guy is a stud
    Nate Kaeding - jokes aside, 5/5 and all touchbacks is nothing to sneeze at
    Mike Harris - first game against a tough DL and more than held his own. Gaither should be very worried
    Corey Liuget/Cam Thomas/Kendal Reyes - might not show up in stats but they all played fantastic and made an impact

Birds

Running game; I'll jointly blame them all and granted that the raiders are no push over but that was pathetic
    Antonine Cason/Quentin Jammer; though both made good plays at times they played poor on the whole
    Red Zone; I get the feeling this will improve not only over time but when Mathews returns, but still this wasn't a good showing. This could've been a total blow out had the Chargers turned two of those FGs into TDs

25. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Balls -
    Mike Harris - He held his own especially in the second half. If he keeps improving Gaither may be able to stay out.​
    Shaun Phillips - 2 sacks and played all over the field. Good thing blew didnt throw him out with the bath water huh? ;)
    Nate Kaeding - 5 of 5, waiting for a Corona Doug Disagree... (He bitter)​
    Corey Liuget - Our young players on the D line are starting to show some play.​
    TKO Spikes - Hey 200 games and still hitting. Slow but I think he is a leader on the D.​
    Second half adjustments - They made a big difference. The D steped up and the O moved the ball (until they hit the red zone). ​

Stuck in the middle -
    Quentin Jammer - had some good and some bad. Early on I was going to break out the burnt toast pic.​
    Melvin Ingram - He is going to be a beast, but you cant give a team 4 more downs like that without takeing the QB out...​

Birds -
    The run game - We need mathews back.​
    The Raiders - Because they are the Silver and Crack.​
    Offensive Continuity - Too many dropped passes, too many problems. Good thing is there were second half adjustments.​

26. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    I agree with most of the previous posts. Special Teams at the top of the list.

One person that needs to be added is Gates. I am not sure what list that he should be added to though...

27. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    Not disagreeing. He made 5 very make-able FG's in the regular season. Good for him.

28. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Because this is Norvs offense since the early '90s. He doesn't draw up slant routes, 5 yard digs, triangle routes, bubble screens, or anything short and timing based...its not his style. He prefers long deep crossing routes, posts, fades, jump balls to the corner, anything where the receiver is 12-15 yards down field when he makes the catch.

Not saying it hasn't fared him well over the course of his career, but it puts a lot of pressure on the O-line to block, and the QB to make a perfect throw. And of course it makes it harder to throw the ball into the endzone when you don't have the full length of the field.

29. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    2 things on these balls, and 1 bird.

1. Kaeding kicked 3 field goals that were PATs or inside 10 yards of being a PAT. Obviously you can only kick the kicks they send you out for, but felating him because he went 5/5 seems a little silly. Good job on the 40+ yd kicks, but I'll wait to polish his knob until he does something impressive, like make kicks in a playoff game or kick a 60 yarder. I'm glad that kicking the ball 5 yards further up fixed his inability to get touchbacks, though.

2. I'm glad that Dante Rosario, along with the rest of our punt unit, made the plays they did, but don't act like he made some incredible play to overcome their blockers and get into the backfield to block the punt. That line became a sieve when their LS went down, and half the time the ball never even made it to Lechler. Good job on him for taking advantage of the situation, but that doesn't exactly merit effusive praise.

My bird, which I haven't seen above, is Larry English. I wasn't counting his snaps, but every time I saw 52 on the field he was getting handled and/or pushed off the screen. Maybe Blue should replace him with a SuperButler in his Sig.

30. BoltsFanUK

BoltsFanUK Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +848
    The fact that we were able to play the whole game without any turnovers is the biggest improvement i noticed so far.
    The defense looked good especially in the run game

Jammer looked so much better than he did last year and that PI was very nit picky

All in all we're 1-0 and need to improve the red zone offense but that will come with time

Also Mike Harris passed his Baptism of Fire keeping Rivers nice and protected

Go Chargers

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1