1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Balls 'N Birds - Week 2

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by BoltFanDC, Sep 16, 2012.

1. BoltFanDC

BoltFanDC Mufflers Are Overrated

Ratings:
    +329
    Going to leave this to those who watched...but a big win in the home opener had to be good.

Lines are open.

2. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +434
    Balls- Norv for Red Zone offensive play calling.
    Battle- For being the guy I hated in KC when he was fed the ball and was just abusive.
    Floyd- 6 rec 109 I think is what he had
    Jake Locker- for being a scrub

Birds - VIP T.V. for giving me a ****** feed, to watch the game today. ;)

3. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,554
    Game balls -
    Rivers - For only throwing 1 pick out of desperation to fire the offense up again. And for standing in the pocket when it was a shooting gallery.
    Rosario - Dude dominated the redzone today.
    Battle - For using his power, something he never did in KC.
    D-line - For controlling the line of scrimmage again.
    Butler - Again I say, we have a Pro Bowl ILB.
    Floyd - VJ who? This guy is playing like a #1 WR, clutch clutch clutch.

Honerable mention to Norv for going for it on 4th down, he'd have gotten a game ball if he would run more slant routes and less of that deep bullshit that assists in getting Rivers killed.

Birds -
    Pass rush - Was none existant after the 1st quarter.
    Clary and Harris - Both OTs had a long rough day.
    Referees - For taking away the Malcolm Floyd TD in the 1st quarter, that lost me my fantasy game.

4. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Ball for Belichick for turning into someone lse, for punting on 4th and 5 from the cards 40 down by 11 with 14 minutes to play, and for settling for a 43 yard field goal when they had plenty of time to get closer

oh wait did you mean the chargers

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,929
    Balls

Rivers - continues to play better and smarter even with the pick
    Rosario - No one can replace Gates but its nice to see the wealth of talent we have.
    Floyd - when healthy he's one of the best and most underrated
    Butler - continues to play like a pro bowler
    DL - What a galaxy of talent we have
    Battle/McClain - when the OL can't run block to save their life, BYOB baby (be your own blocker)

Middle Ground

Mike Harris - He has his moments where he sucks but that's a little expected as a rookie. He missed some pick ups but he also held Kameron Wimbley w/o a sack
    Pass Rush - was there initially but just took a hiatus. Not sure why

Birds
    Rest of the OL - No excuses for Green/Hardwick/Vasquez/Clary. They were absolutely atrocious today throughout. Run blocking is pathetic, Pass Blocking was barely better
    Cason/Jammer - just aren't playing up to snuff
    Lack of adjustments when up 21-0 - I'll never understand why the team doesn't just put their foot on their throat and end it. Compare this game with the Chiefs/Bills, tell me which team has a killer instinct
    Ronnie Brown - why in the holy hell are you not only on this team but given carries?

6. MadMike

MadMike Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +504
    Balls:

Coaches - Solid gameplan, well prepared, great job going to the hammer late. Got a huge win without having to force Mathews, Gates, or Garay back too soon.
    Rivers - Well managed game. Dealt with a less than perfect pocket most of the day and did great in the red zone.
    Rosario - May just be a product of the TE "System" but well done son, 3 td's is no joke.
    Floyd - Just ate up the Tennessee zone today.
    O-Line - Solid start, poor middle of the game that almost deserves a bird, then a powerhouse roadgrading during the 4th quarter taking advantage of an overworked Titans D. Mike Harris had his hands full, got beat some, but held up pretty well for a noob.
    Battle - May have been the product of fresh legs against a spent defense but he murdered that team. Like to see more of him early in the game. He stuck the dagger in with the first TD over the top. He twisted it in the back on the 2nd.
    DB - Just a monster of an ILB. Speed, power, and smarts. Pro-Bowl this year.
    Jammer - Held up well on a broken paw.
    Weddle - Nice INT to set the pace for the D, Lots of nice tackles
    Goodman - Decent returns all day and some great jobs on ST gunning
    D-Line - Basically owned the Titans O-Line all day. No sacks but completely crushed any hole all day.

Honorable Mention:

Dolphins and the Bills for crushing the Raiders\Chiefs

Birds:

Rep Ref's - Not sure they understand whats a PI in this league.
    Cason - Just soft. His tackling, his coverage, his mental game. Just soft.
    O-Line - Run blocking Q1-3, Pass blocking Q2-3
    Ronnie Brown - Just seem tentative running the ball. He can catch well but that seems to be his only game.
    Pass Rush - Seemed to be non-existent half way through the 1st quarter. That being said, Jake Locker through 3 balls over 20 yards all day and none of them connected. Hard to get big sack numbers on the dink and dunk game.

7. Lancer 1

Lancer 1 Eternal Optimist

Ratings:
    +341
    Balls:
    Norv Turner – Had this team prepared to play & totally dominate an inferior opponent, as opposed to overlooking them in a game in which it would’ve been real easy to do so. Also liked his going for it on 4th & goal, vice settling for yet another short field goal.

Tight Ends – Dante Rosario had 3 touchdown receptions, (he seems to really like playing at Qualcomm) Randy McMichael saved our bacon by recovering both of Philip’s fumbles, and Ladarius Green took his lone reception for 31 yards.

Philip Rivers - Another well played game, (interception & fumbles aside) and now he has 4 touchdown passes against only 1 pick on the season – a refreshing change from last year in which he threw 2 picks apiece in his 1st several games.

Safeties – Eric Weddle had an early interception that allowed us to set the tone with a 2 touchdown 1st Quarter lead, and Atari Bigby is looking like the enforcer we’ve lacked since Rodney left town.

O-line – Philip was only really sacked twice in 32 dropbacks, the other 2 were credited to the nearest defender when he fumbled the ball behind the line of scrimmage. 148 yards on the ground & 2 rushing touchdowns were nice to see, especially the way we ran the Titans into submission with Jackie Battle real late, bleeding the clock and continuing to score.

Malcom Floyd – Our leading receiver for the 2nd game in a row, this time with 109 yards and what should’ve been a touchdown – if he stays healthy, he could have a huge season for us and may even get to the Pro Bowl.

Ball Control – We held the ball for nearly 45 of the 60 minutes of football, we’ll need that balanced attack when we play the better teams in the league, starting next weekend.

Birds: None

Neutral :
    D-line & linebackers – no sacks of a relatively inexperienced quarterback in 30 dropbacks, we have to do much better in that category, but they did shut down the normally explosive running backs Darren McFadden & Chris Johnson in consecutive games, let’s see that trend continue with our old friend Michael Turner coming to town.

8. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    they were never up 21-0

what da he11 are you talking about? they won the game by 28 points, the other team gets payed too you know :tdown:

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    Balls - Bolts
    Birds - The Flaming Thumbtacks

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +501
    Balls - Donald Butler (a #56 jersey is in my future, this guy is the real deal), Rosario, Battle (albeit against a beaten up D), the safeties, Malcom.

Birds - Ronnie Brown, the Tackles esp Clary (Harris has an excuse), the running game in the first half, Cason (he is on his last chance for me, contract year correct?, he's not a Bolt next year if he keeps this up).

11. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    I have to disagree about almost all of your negative comments. First, Cason/Jammer. Locker barely had 100 yards passing prior to the last drive. The Titans had one drive last more than 4 plays. If your starting corners suck, you don't shut people down like that, even offenses that are less than stellar. Norv said that Jammer's performance against the Raiders last week was the best game QJ had played in Norv's 5 years with the team.

Also about the run blocking. I know they struggled at the start, but they finished with 170+ yards rushing. You don't do that if you're not doing something right. They certainly got better as the game went on.

As for your comments about killer instinct, the Bills were blownout last week. They were up 21-3 at the half this week. The Chargers were up 17-3 at the half. Hardly seems that different. As soon as the Titans got within two scores, the Bolts stepped on the gas and steamrolled them.

12. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Balls
    Rivers - yes, even with the interception. He hung in under pressure & made the throws that he needed to make.
    Rosario - he was the biggest difference for red zone efficiency this week. Nice to see that we have good depth behind Gates as Green showed a little something too.
    Floyd - all he has to do is stay healthy.
    Battle - no crown, but he came in & stuck a dagger in a defense that was getting gassed. Looked so much better than in preseason.
    DL - active group, kept rushing lanes bottled up so CJ had no cutbacks.
    Butler - STUD.
    Weddle - he & Butler ARE our leaders on D.
    Coaches - called an overall good game, made adjustments when we needed them.

Birds
    OL - A little reluctant to outright give them a bird, but this group is still rough. 2013 draft has to address the issues here - I'm looking hard at you, Clary. Harris had a tough day & certainly held up better than Dombrowski did against Wimbley.
    Cason - you were a 1st round pick. Act like it.

13. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408

• Like Like x 1
  14. BoltsFanUK

BoltsFanUK Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +848
    Balls:
    Rivers- hung in to make some tough throws under pressure.
    Rosario- welcome to San Diego- first 3 catches 3 TDs
    Norv- Excellent offensive playcalling
    Battle- why did it take till the end of the 3rd to give him a chance- gave us a running game
    Butler- STUD
    I'm really excited about this defense

Birds
    Ronnie Brown- shouldn't be given any more carries

15. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    One more Ball: Garay's hair. :tup:

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Balls:
    Jr. Seau: Thank you for all the memories; The kick punches, the running the sides of the field high fiving the fans, the pulling Leaf away from the reporter, the leadership, charity, and great memories. We have never been able to fill your shoes, and now no Charger will ever fill the #55 jersey again! Jr. you have truly graduated now, and you will be missed!

Philip F'in Rivers: 24 of 32, 284 yars 3 TDs and.... an Int... Very good day all together when he seemed to be running for his life most of the time.

Battle & Brinkley: It is early I know, but battle had 69 yards, and 2 TDs on 14 carries in essentially one quarter of play. Brinkley had 43 yards on 18 carries, and when he was in as part of the Thunder and Lightning combo it seemed to really work. The return of Mathews could be any week, until then these two should be able to continue to create enough of a problem for defenses that it will open up the play action pass the Chargers O is known for.

Malcom Floyd: He is Rivers deep threat right now. 6 receptions for 109 yards illustrates that fact. Malcom has developed and if he can stay healthy he will start to get more shots in the end zone.

Dante Rosario: A big target in the end zone. 4 receptions for 48 yards and 3 TDs. I can’t begin tell you what a colossal failure this young man is that he missed a TD with that last reception! What a utter failure! That said, removing my tongue from my cheek, it is good to have the options we have a Tight End. The number of receiving TE’s is nice, but the big bodies are being used to block as well, and face it, with this OL so far, we need it.

Eric Weddle: 3 solo tackles and an interception. Eric continues to be the leader in the defensive backfield. I don’t feel the secondary has truly been tested yet (if our D as a whole has been) but I am excited to see what the team is doing under Pags…

Norv F’in Turner: I know, I know… Some of you are recoiling and hissing like a vampire (non-sparkly kind) faced with a cross made of garlic… But credit where credit is due. The Chargers O is still moving the ball, the team is making second half adjustments, and the dreaded slow start is so far not rearing its ugly head. I don’t care if the wins are pretty or not, I care if it is a win and so far the two games have been. One thing I like that others seem to hate is Norv is a chess player. He continues to use his pawns (the run game) to set up his dynamic pieces for the kill (WR, TE). I saw several features this week from players who have played both for and against Norv talking about how he rope-a-dopes defenses, never abandoning the run because it sets up the play action pass. It is true. I know we all have barked about his choosing to run at an obvious moment, but for the most part it does pull the D in and open up the pass.

Edit: Oh yeah, as brutha Buck sed... Honorable mention to Garays Hair!

Middle of the fence:

Antoine Cason: I have to admit, this guy is not my favorite Charger. I keep hoping a little hope that he will light up and prove us all wrong, but he plays soo damn far off the receivers every play it seems… I know perception is not reality, but DAMN boi! Get up there and man up! That said, he led the team in tackles yesterday with 4 solos, so I won’t throw him the bird this week…

Birds:

OL: You guys got better this game, but it is not enough. Open some holes and keep the big uglies in the other uniforms off Rivers for pity’s sake!

Injuries: A “ha-you-gah” bird to the injuries. When will the Chargers start looking to the root cause of all the injuries and long turnaround times. It is either we are getting softies, not conditioning well, or the football Gods hate us. I am not ready to blame the football gods yet. Football is a rough game, there will be injuries, but deeeamn when do we catch a break?!

Team Consistency: This is my gnawing worry. We don’t seem to have shown consistent play yet. It is coming together, but the 2nd quarter of yesterday’s game was bad all around. I know, I know it is only the second game and things will progress as they go along, but next week we have a real challenge, and possibly the biggest challenge prior to the bye with how the Saints are playing right now… We need to be more consistent. That said, onward and upward, Go Bolts and all that jazz!

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,152
    Tip for teens:
    If you have nearly as many negatives as positives, in a game your team won by 4 touchdowns,
    you may be viewing the world through turd-colored glasses...

• Funny Funny x 2
  18. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I don't think that this age-specific. ;)

19. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Just because a team wins does not mean there are not things that they can do to improve. The Chargers are playing well but not great IMHO. 2-0 is awesome, but only if they continue to improve to get more wins, am I wrong?

That said, if people are just beeotching to beeotch, then your point is very valid.

20. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,401
    Agreed, the vision impaired portion of the fan base only increases with age. :D

21. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    So was Buster. So was English.

Just saying. I think if anything this is more proof of why you just plain don't draft Pac-10/12 DB's as a rule of thumb. Most of them are just incredibly overrated. (It should also be writing on the wall to people when they're projecting draft picks and prospects they like why the # of INT's a guy pulls down in college is far from the be-all/end-all for judging a CB or any DB).

The last truly better than average CB I can remember coming out of the Pac-10 was what? Marcus Trufant and Asomugha? Both in 2003? OK, scratch that... technically it's Richard Sherman who came out of Stanford 2 years ago, but he's literally the last good one since the aforementioned Trufant and Scrabble. If we're going to insist on not scouting our DB's all that well of late, can we at least hedge our bets by drafting DB's from the SEC and ACC?

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,929
    I think everyone here can agree that while they are happy with what they have seen so far and there's alot of positives (more this than last year), there are quite a few things to be worked on. I think that's the big issues with all the negatives, they have to be worked on to have this team be successful against tougher opponents that are upcoming.

The run game showed some improvement but again this is a game where they were unsuccessful moving the ball until it was later, the Titans defense was completely gassed and the team used a heavy running back. While some of it will be fixed with an upgrade at RB (Mathews), there are still concerns. Jammer/Cason I think alot of us aren't thrilled with and it has to be worked on. Pass Rush, it wasn't there as much as against the Raiders game BUT valid point Locker wasn't throwing that much and when he did he threw some quick slants. The OL needs work and alot of it, with only Harris having a semi valid excuse.

I don't think this is a case of having turd colored glasses or being overly critical; we are all happy with what we see so far from this group as a whole. i think there's far more reason to be positive now versus this time last year. There are just issues that have to be corrected and soon.

23. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    U sure you can speak for IMM?