1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Balls N Birds - Week 3

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by BoltFanDC, Sep 25, 2011.

1. BoltFanDC

BoltFanDC Mufflers Are Overrated

Ratings:
    +329
    While any win beats a loss, this was not a good performance at all. We were very fortunate.

Balls
    Ryan Matthews - 95 yards and 2 scores. Super game for the kid.
    Eric Weddle -- You make a game saving play, in my book you get a ball...period.

Birds
    The Right Side of the O-Line -- WTF was that?!
    Phillip Rivers -- Good yards and completion numbers, but the two picks were awful and the clock management on the sneak play was almost very costly. You are better than this, you need to show it (Syd -- please don't hate on me too much for this Bird :D).

Lines are open.

• Like Like x 1
  2. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,551
    Balls: Mathews, Martin, Barnes.
    Birds: Rivers, Norv, Clary.

3. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    Balls
    Mathews:
    Vaughn Martin. THIS is a youngin coming into his own.

Birds
    The entire OL. Again. Massive weakness. We're in trouble on this front.
    Rivers. His worst year yet in a starting role, so far. Too used to the jump ball passes, imo. He's gotta start putting it on a string again. Hard to believe, but Rivers has to put more effort into his mental game.
    Whoever the hell makes the decision to put Og in at RDE instead of Thomas
    Cason. Proving himself to be a bad #1 pick. Flowers anyone?
    English. Pissing in the wind.
    AJ Smith. If his weakness as a GM isn't apparent to you yet, what will it take? Should we review the #1 and #2 draft picks from the last 5 years?

4. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Balls:
    Mathews. Combined yards from scrimmage: 149
    Weddle. Locked an ugly victory with a heads up play
    LBs. Good pressure and speed. Butler keeps getting better and Philips is playing at a high level

Birds
    Defense, especially the pass defense. Simply horrible
    Rivers, 6 ints in 3 games. Wow... Simply wow!
    Hester. You are not a full back, time to get a real road grader on the roster.

5. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    C'mon, you can say Cason sucks ;)

6. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    He does! I had high hopes for him, but he is is burnt toast!

7. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Good call on Martin. He is becoming a MANSTER!

8. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    How the hell are we gonna mix it up on Twitter if you agree with me?

9. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +434
    Balls:
    Mathews
    Weddle
    Martin

Birds:

THE ENTIRE REST OF THE TEAM MINUS ABOVE!!

10. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210
    Silence! I concur.

11. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    Balls
    Mathews, Martin, Weddle, Tolbert

Birds
    Rivers, OL in total, Manusky, Norv Turner

Seriously they need to make some major changes on the OL at this point, this is absurd. Rivers is getting hit far too often

12. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    Balls:
    Mathews
    Weddle

Birds:
    Everyone else

• Like Like x 1
  13. Brundlefly

Brundlefly Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +370
    Isn't it strange how it seems like Mathews is our best player this year (except for maybe VJ) after getting so much hate last year.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    It is not often that most of us agree on the angstmeters after a win.... :confused:

15. Joy Division

Joy Division Slightly-known Member

Ratings:
    +542
    Balls: ThunderHammer D on Weddle's gift interception. If you pressure them, qb's will make mental mistakes.
    Mathews. He's a freakin' stud.
    Gilchrist. I don't recall seeing him give anything up. Good job rook.

Birds: Norv. He's officially on my shite-list.
    Rivers. Sorry man, but really...quit hopping around when the ball is still in your hands.
    Cason. You got outplayed by Gilchrist the rookie. I know I'm supposed to support you but
    dude, you were getting toasted today.

• Like Like x 2
  16. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    Will say this about Weddle, he had a BAAAD game last week, but made the play of the game this week. On the INT he was sent on a blitz, recognized the screen coming and broke off to cover the RB. Even had he not made the INT that would've been a stop for a loss. That's a bloody intelligent play from a bloody intelligent player, even if he does make me tear my hair out

• Like Like x 1
  17. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    What's that say for English?

18. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,551
    Nothing. English was once again completely ineffective today. Antwan Barnes looks to be head and shoulders the better player, as does Travis LaBoy.

19. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    That's my point about 'fan hate'. Sometimes it misses the mark. Sometimes not.

20. Cheapseats

Cheapseats Loud, proud Charger fan

Ratings:
    +373
    It is up to English to distinguish himself when the coaches put him in the game, the guys ahead of him are producing. If he makes no impact, he will be riding the stationary bike behind the Chargers bench instead of playing.

• Like Like x 1
  21. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867
    Got to give Novak a ball. I feel much more at ease with him kicking for us.

• Like Like x 1
  22. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,581
    I'll feel more at ease when he kicks it out of the endzone more often on kick offs.

Balls:
    Mathews: He grew up today.
    Jackson

Birds:
    Rivers: Those two picks cost us at least 10 points.
    Cason: Was the reason KC got 2 TD's (Bowe & Pope).

23. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    I AM SO MAD YOU ATOMGZ :mad:

Ok so I'm totally not.

Philip is playing very out of character and after today's game I'm more and more convinced it's injury related with a dash of not being able to rely on the oline to protect him. Bottomline is he needs to find a way to get his head right b/c if he is dealing with a lingering abdominal injury he needs his mind working right to make it thru.

His touch on the ball is off, something he's definitely not known for. His body language was all wrong today too - he was not the fearless confident leader we (I) know and love. He actually appeared really irritated and was constantly "what?"-ing the sidelines with his arms (totally technical terms here people). Which really really pisses me off when I'm too far away to see facial expressions and returned gestures from the bench. Makes me wanna "wtf?!" right back :p

That said, no excuses. He earned a bird today for sure.

Other Birds:
    • Zebras. It's no secret I hate those blind bastards but that was a clean hit on Cassel. NOT roughing the passer.
    • Our redzone offense stunk like rotten poo sprayed by skunks - just like last week. We left at least 14 points if not 21 out there.

Balls:
    • Ryan Mathews. Happy to say we were able to rely on our running game when our passing game fell short. Haven't been able to honestly say that in awhile, no matter who the opponent.
    • Eric Weddle. Bet that INT felt damn good :) I know I enjoyed it. Please do it again, repeatedly.
    • Nick Novak. Since I'm riding the fluffy hearts and rainbows train right now courtesy of some awesome cough syrup, I'm giving him a nod for doing his job. Well and for being so damn happy about it. I felt like we saw the guy get a really annoying monkey off his back today, one only he could see. I swear he hi-fived every single Charger he could find on the field and would have hugged a ref if he could have. *hugs* for you Nicky!
    • Defense running out onto the field together instead of one-by-one as announced. Maybe the O should try that bonding exercise next week? Seems like it was quite effective ;)
    Misc. Observations...
    The Defense came out solid - the 2nd half not so much so but they did spend most of the 3rd and 4th out there working b/c the O couldn't do jack so I would imagine they were pretty gassed. Between all the injury time-outs and fighting and actual time-outs this game felt like it dragged on quite a bit. I was pretty tired too :p not to mention my wicked sunburn. It was quite toasty today.

I expected more from Cason. He got straight up beat on some key plays. He also made some good ones.

What was with all the fighting anyway? Anyone with a better view know who kept starting it? I'm going to assume it was frustrated KC players being whiney bitches (Logic = we won and I'm a homer). I'm surprised no one was penalized or thrown out. Not for the first time this season either. Seems like I've seen more brawls this year and less laundry flying as a result. I find this curious.

24. Joy Division

Ratings:
    +542
    The Pope touchdown I can agree that Cason was chumped...but the Bowe touchdown was a very well placed ball where as they say "only the receiver could catch it". He still gets the Bird though.

25. Joy Division

Ratings:
    +542
    Hey Syd, this stuff about a possible abdominal injury...is that just conjecture or is there some evidence (medically) that I have not been enlightened about? Inquiring minds want to know. I'm hoping it's the former but like you said...his body language was not typical.

26. MadMike

MadMike Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +504
    Agree with the birds to Rivers today mentally. Dude has been getting hit a lot these first few weeks and he has an abdomen strain that is making it hard for him to throw the lasers were used too. He needs to heal up, maybe hold him out until Thursday or Friday and let him get some rest.

27. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,581
    Cason didn't turn around AT ALL on the TD pass to Bowe. He also had his back to the ball on the Breston catch on our 1 yard line. The Pope TD came right after that.

28. Joy Division

Ratings:
    +542
    I stand corrected.

29. Joy Division

Ratings:
    +542
    Is this abdominal strain official? Why haven't I seen it in any injury reports? Somebody help me out?

30. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +500
    Balls - Mathews, Novak (I pray this guy makes a few clutch kicks down the stretch and we can rid ourselves of Nate), Martin (this guy is already better than Castillo) and Barnes (how quick is this guy!?, unreal). Honorable mention for Gilchrist who looked fine in limited action.

Birds

Rivers - some of his throws were goddamn awful. Why didn't he check out of the sneak with the KC D staring him in the face?. Is he not given the licence to do this?.
    English - clearly nowhere near where he needs to be, he should be inactive. I fear for his future with this team.
    Norv - 1st down run, 1st down run, 1st down run. Get the picture. This guy is supposed to be an Offensive Mastermind, sometimes I just don't see it.
    Manusky - he's been found out imho. Spoofer.
    Cason - if only he could play aswell as he talks. Take a look at the ball once in a while will ya.
    Clary - I'm one of the few round here who thinks this guy has something. He needs to up it now though, he was poor last night.
    Hester - this guy is a waste of a roster space period. He brings nada. Get Todman in the game and use Sperry as a fullback if required.