1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Balls N Birds - Week 5

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by BoltFanDC, Oct 9, 2011.

1. BoltFanDC

BoltFanDC Mufflers Are Overrated

Ratings:
    +329
    After five weeks it is becoming clear that this team does not make things easy on themselves (or us). Nonetheless, 4-1 into the bye is a nice place to be.

Balls
    Matthews -- This kid is coming of age before our eyes
    Floyd -- Big touchdown and the clutch catch on 3rd and 10 just above the 2 minute warning
    Novak -- Nate who? 5-5 says it all, the 51 yarder is good from 60+ easy
    Secondary -- Any time you hold an offense to only 100 yards passing, you've earned your stripes

Birds
    Red zone Offense -- 4 FGs in the red zone ain't going to beat anyone that matters, especially not late in the season

Lines are open.

• Like Like x 2
  2. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867
    Ditto on Balls.

Birds
    Manusky - Rushing 3 on bad QB's.
    Norv - calling a too conservative 2nd half.

3. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    Balls
    Hester - manned up big time, played hard
    Mathews - this guy has big brass ones to play so hard
    Novak - Kaeding is losing his job rapidly
    Butler - another good game
    Red Zone - they're not leaving points on the field. Improvement still needed but they've come a long way from NE
    Scifres - Back to those beautiful artillery style punts

Birds
    Clary/Vasquez - so much fail
    Defensive Scheme - How do you make this so close?
    Offensive game plan in second half - see previous statement

4. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +378
    Birds

Red Zone Offense
    - Due to Conservative Play calling and Injuries to WR/Gates

Passing Game
    - See Above as well as a Bad Season for Rivers going by he's standards.

Conservative Play calling
    - Norv is Norv and I don't expect this to change anytime soon.

Mistakes
    -Been a part of the Chargers for the past 5 seasons if not more. Not gonna change.

Balls

Ryan Matthews
    -The guy is beasting but needs to easy on running over tackles.

5. tunaman

tunaman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +7
    Balls

All 3 running backs...played their @$$ off!
    Novak - it's official, Kaeding has played his last game for the Chargers

Birds

The entire coaching staff - offense and defense. Conservative play calling on both sides almost gave the game away.

6. Brundlefly

Brundlefly Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +370
    I get everyone being stoked on Novak, but I don't know how anyone is saying he's doing better than Kaeding. Kaeding is a great kicker and would probably doing just as well. There's a lot of irrational hate towards him, it's almost like the hate is overshadowing just how reliable of a kicker he is.

7. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +378
    It probably has to Nate being a big Choker. That and letting go of Nate would save us money and if thing this management loves getting things cheap.

So far Novak has been a cheap Keading.

8. Brundlefly

Ratings:
    +370
    I'm not talking about playoffs, the playoffs aren't for months so choking at this point is irrelevant. Kaeding would have made every singly kick Novak has. I'm not saying Novak isn't doing an admirable job, he is and I won't deny it, but Nate haters (Naters?) seem to be revelling in his success as a big **** you to Kaeding.

• Like Like x 1
  9. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    4-1 baby. I feel like Oprah, YOU get a game ball! And YOU get a game ball! EVERYONE gets game balls!

• Like Like x 1
  10. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    Balls:

Running backs - Ryan Mathews looked the best, but it paved the way for a great day for Hester.
    Nick Novak - I have confidence in the team's kicker.

Birds:

Offensive line - Nope, still not getting any better

11. tunaman

tunaman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +7
    Don't hate Kaeding, but Novak is doing a great job and is much cheaper. There are some other needs on the team that the $ could help with.

12. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Balls to the RBs, Floyd and Novak

Birds to the red zone offense, pass protection and the whole team for going on their bye with 9 minutes left to play.

13. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    I know the pass blocking left some to be desired today. But any time a team rushes for 200+ yards, the O line is doing something right.

14. ViennaLager

ViennaLager FC Eintracht Bamberg Smokey Beers

Ratings:
    +61
    Nobody has the right to bang on Kaeding unless Novak is perfect in the playoffs.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Brundlefly

Ratings:
    +370
    That's exactly what I'm saying

16. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Balls: Mathews, he did great considering nearly every yard was a grind due to our telegraphing playcalling.
    Novak, better than Kaeding and its not close.
    Cason, best game he's played yet. I've been bashing him a lot, he deserves credit now.

Birds: Norvel, conservative cowardice nearly cost us the game.
    Clary, 4th awful game this year. He now leads the NFL in sacks allowed.
    Rivers, time to call a spade a spade, the man is off his game.

BTW we finished the game with ZERO penalties....thank goodness, because one or two could have cost us the game.

17. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    Balls:
    Chucky Whitehurst
    Whitehurst steps in as Seahawks edge Giants

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- Backup quarterback Charlie Whitehurst threw a go-ahead 27-yard touchdown pass to Doug Baldwin, and Brandon Browner returned an interception 94 yards to clinch the Seattle Seahawks' 36-25 victory over the New York Giants on Sunday.
    Whitehurst, who replaced the injured Tarvaris Jackson in the third quarter, led the Seahawks (2-3) on an 80-yard touchdown drive, which he capped with his pass to a wide-open Baldwin with 2:37 left on a play that the Giants (3-2) seemed to stop after defensive end Osi Umenyiora jumped offside.

18. Lancer 1

Lancer 1 Eternal Optimist

Ratings:
    +341
    Balls:
    Philip Rivers – Nearly got a “bird” for the pick six (but it went right through Crayton’s hands ) & questionable “fumble”, but a solid game overall with 2 touchdowns, 1 passing & 1 rushing. He may finish this season with lousy stats, but end up winning the games that count!

Donald Butler – Another good game, and an interception.

Nick Novak – 4th solid game in a row, 5 for 5 on field goals to include a 51 yarder & touchbacks on all but 1 of his kickoffs – Me likey! :) I don’t think the job is automatically his once Nate Kaeding returns, but Nick could be setting up a real interesting training camp battle next year…his touchback percentage on kickoffs may end up being the deciding factor.

Ryan Mathews – Another solid game with a career high 125 rushing yards.

Antoine Cason – Good game with a couple of solid defensive plays, the most notable being his preventing the 2 point conversion that would’ve tied the game.

Malcom Floyd – 100 receiving yards with only 3 receptions, including a 42 yard touchdown...clutch catch late to get us into FG range, forcing Denver to need a touchdown to beat us.

Jacob Hester – Good in spot duty after both Mathews & Tolbert were hurt.

Discipline – No Charger penalties in the game, quite impressive! :tup:

Birds:
    Norv Turner – Nearly got a “ball” for our 4-1 start & impressive time of possession in the past few games, but he’s way too predictable in play calling, especially in the red zone and other short yardage situations – we don’t get away with numerous red zone field goals when playing against competent teams. Offense seemed to stall in the 2nd half, and was held to only two 4th Quarter field goals. We’re a very fortunate 4-1!

Defensive Line – no sacks, I know that Tim Tebow is elusive but he had way too much time to pass, and we nearly blew a 16 point 4h Quarter lead.

O-Line – Philip Rivers was under pressure all day, he was sacked 5 times & fumbled twice, losing one.

Eric Weddle - dropped an easy interception, may have scored had he caught it.

:broncossuck: - Fortunately this is quite true, but they are a different team with Tim Tebow under center vice Kyle Orton – their defense even played better once “Timmy” entered the game, he gave the entire team a spark and may have just claimed the starting job.

19. NORV4LIFE

NORV4LIFE NO MORE NORV!!!!!

Ratings:
    +58
    We almost let tebow come back!

20. Lancer 1

Lancer 1 Eternal Optimist

Ratings:
    +341
    I liked watching this game, and an eternal “Bird” to ShEli Manning. “Bad Eli” made an ill-timed but not entirely unexpected appearance, with a lost fumble & his customary 3 interceptions, to include a real late pick-six from inside Seattle’s 10 yard line, while his team was only down by 4 points and victory was well within grasp - can’t wait to see his “Total QBR” on that one! :D

21. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +505
    Balls - Mathews (love his toughness but he could take a leaf out of LT's book and maybe avoid some of the big collisions), Novak and Floyd.

Birds - Norv and his conservative Martyball BS. 2 mins left in 3rd and he started playing not to lose. He turned the game into a nerve-wracking, knife edge joke.

Weddle - The dropped INT was the obvious play but he missed tackle after tackle. The guy is not physical enough and seems to hold back when attack is called for. I'll throw my boy Gregory in along with him. Our safeties are seriously weak. I'd love to think it would be possible to put Jammer back there now and throw Gilchrist in at corner. Even Oliver might be an upgrade. I'd love to see some Stuckey though.

Garay - Dude had an off day, seemed to me his head might not have been in the game. Missed too many hits/tackles he should have made.

Manusky - Seemed Manusky never heard of rushing more than 3 when your D is trying to save the game. It took Don Johnson roaring at him to re-think. I still think this guy is a chancer.

Diggs - Where did this scrub come from?. He was in on many plays and seemed intent on being nowhere near the play at all times. I hate to say it but even Cooper is better than this lad. As for going in with players like these instead of having Todman active don't get me started.

Red zone O - A combination of ****** playcalling, poor O line play and our receiveres seemingly never getting open. Twice Rivers ran into the sack for me.

22. bigmike.x.09

Ratings:
    +280
    Almost only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades my friend.

23. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    River's just seems way off to me, his throws are like a rookie and it can't all be Gates being out.

24. bigmike.x.09

Ratings:
    +280
    Gates IS his security blanket though.

25. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    Then he needs to get over it.

26. Brundlefly

Ratings:
    +370
    Rivers was fine when Gates was out last year.

27. bigmike.x.09

Ratings:
    +280
    Idk, maybe he's tired? 6 kids as of last Monday, might take a toll on him.

28. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    Balls
    All RBs esp Hester for picking up the slack when the other 2 were out
    Floyd
    Novak

Birds
    Norv - Seriously, DO SOMETHING DIFFERENT IN THE RED ZONE!!!! That weak **** you keep trying is NOT WORKING. Also, we fired Marty. Stop acting like him and sitting on a lead. Go for the kill stupid.
    Manusky - Same goes for you. Tim Tebow styled all over you. I repeat, Tim Tebow styled all over you. I hate to think what he would have done had he been put into the game sooner. You better find a way to generate some pressure or the much better teams we've got coming up are going to FEAST on our D.
    Clary - I hate you so much.
    Vasquez - See statement above.

29. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Tebow Styled all over us by completing 4 of 10?

30. Brundlefly

Ratings:
    +370
    That's what I've been wondering. You'd think he threw for 600 yards and 8 TDs the way everyone is talking about how he played.