1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Balls N Birds - Week 7

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by BoltFanDC, Oct 23, 2011.

1. BoltFanDC

BoltFanDC Mufflers Are Overrated

Ratings:
    +329
    I (un)fortunately missed the game today due to other commitments.

I'll leave it to those who witnessed to chime in. Have at it gang.

2. NORV4LIFE

NORV4LIFE NO MORE NORV!!!!!

Ratings:
    +58
    Balls: Tolbert Looked good. Donald butler had a great highlight real play. Looks like he was a great draft pick. Im glad someone with some class is wearing 56 now.

Birds:
    Rivers
    [​IMG]

NORV
    [​IMG]

3. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    Balls

Mike Tolbert - He stepped up and he delivered.
    Nick Novak - nice kicks, bro
    Tim Tebow - TEBOW!!!

Birds

Everyone else

4. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    Balls:
    Butler
    Tolbert--Nice ST work too
    Mathews
    Gates--obviously still hobbled, but makes a difference in the RZ
    Dombrowski--nice job coming in as a backup
    Dielman
    Weddle

Birds:
    M80--I thought Cro sucked
    Cason--does suck
    The refs--NY is the Jordan of the NFL
    All the DEs--Learn to control the damn run
    Laboy
    Jammer--bogus call on the 2nd PI, but he got used and abused in a variety of ways
    Rivers--His worst game under Norv. Something's obviously wrong with the guy. Also, he needs to stop bitching to the refs when things don't go his way. Looks like a freaking whiner out there.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Lancer 1

Lancer 1 Eternal Optimist

Ratings:
    +341
    Balls:

Donald Butler – set the tone with the early defensive touchdown.

Antonio Gates – gutted it out & had a good game, our leading receiver with a few 1st downs, and a touchdown.

Shaun Phillips – 2 sacks, a stop of Greene for no game and a special teams tackle to boot.

Mike Tolbert – good power running today, with a 29 yard jaunt & a short touchdown run, to go along with a nice tackle on special teams.

Eric Weddle – was in the right spot on alot of plays, and his 3rd pick of the season.

:chiefssuck: - Not today, they did us a real favor by humiliating Oakland, and keeping us in 1st place for now – let’s just hope we don’t give them numerous picks next week, they have been playing alot better of late (3 wins in a row) and if we pussyfoot around in Arrowhead, they’ll probably beat us or come real close to it again.

Birds:

Norv Turner – Rex Ryan pulled his “punk card”, and then outcoached him yet again. Our offense was totally shut out in the 2nd half, he went away from the running game while it was working. Yet another week in which he activates a player in a position of need (Curtis Brinkley this time) and inexplicably refused to play him, despite Tolbert & Mathews getting dinged up again. Total surrender in not challenging the generous spot on the Sanchez run late, letting the Jets run more valuable time of the clock. We could’ve had more time for our final drive if he had taken the shot, it would’ve been worth possibly losing a timeout to get them to take another look at that questionable spot.

Antione Cason – Why this guy is still starting is beyond me. He was totally abused by a guy who spent the last 2 years in prison. I was pleased to see him finally replaced by Marcus Gilchrist late in the game, but it was done a little too late, and only after he had been “tutored” for 3 touchdowns.

Philip Rivers – Another pedestrian game at best, and that’s being real generous. Two 4th Quarter interceptions, Philip used to be clutch real late in games. The 1st interception wasn’t his fault, but the 2nd one after we had already lost the lead was a killer. There was also way too much confusion & time wasted on the final drive, and throwing the ball out of bounds on 4th down & 3 to end the game was inexcusable.

Greg Manusky – How many times do you have to get kicked by the very same horse? After Plaxico had already torched us for 2 red zone touchdowns, to single cover him yet again with “Burnt Toast” Cason and allow a predictable 3rd touchdown to give the Jets the lead was unforgivable. If you start Marcus Gilchrist in Kansas City instead of Antoine Cason, you’ll get an automatic “ball”.

Patrick Crayton – For an 8 year veteran, he sure looked like a dumb rookie today. Virtually invisible in the offense, (1 catch for 3 yards) and making stupid mistakes on punt returns like fair catching at the 5, and drawing a penalty for running after making another fair catch signal.

Referees – It’s hard enough to play against opposing NFL teams, but competing with the refs as well is impossible to overcome. Blatant holds were not called, some of those defensive “encroachment” penalties were really offensive false starts, and the one sided penalties called against our secondary & not New York’s were so obvious that for the 2nd Jets game in a row, the TV announcers were commenting on the disparity.

6. Aggieman

Ratings:
    +194
    Oh yeah! Ball to Weddle.

7. NORV4LIFE

Ratings:
    +58
    Balls to manusky, like he sucked em though...

8. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +378
    Balls? No one.

Birds

Dean Spanos for allowing AJ Smith to still be here.

AJ Smith for hiring a pussy Head Coach

Norv Turner for playing non Clutch QB and being a Pussy Head Coach

Rivers for not playing like he should and Not being more Clutch.

For the game? Oh........about darn near every thang!

9. NORV4LIFE

Ratings:
    +58
    how about aj for letting drew brees go and then marty for letting welker go.

10. Lancer 1

Ratings:
    +341
    That’s kinda harsh, considering Donald Butler’s impressive strip/touchdown on the Jets’ 1st offensive play, and Shaun’s 2 sacks.
    AJ is a good GM, he’s keeping this team stocked with good draft picks, and some real gems as undrafted free agents.
    Can’t argue this point, Norv’s 3 playoff wins in his 1st two seasons with us notwithstanding – this team has seemed to regress a little each season under his tutelage.
    Just imagine the riots that would occur in San Diego if Norv decided to bench Philip & start Billy Volek, especially if we still lost the game. Philip has still yet to throw 3 interceptions in a game, he’s probably the only veteran starting QB in the entire NFL who can make that claim.
    Something just ain’t right with Philip, but he still gives us the best chance to win and when he’s on, he’s one of the best in the league – he just hasn’t been “on” in any game this season but we’re still the only team in our division with a winning record, so there is still hope for this season depending on how we do for the next month or so. If we win the division & make the playoffs, Rivers may just get hot & go on a run like Aaron Rodgers did last year.

11. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    You know, with all this "gay" stuff and ball sucking talk... I believe the one in question would be yourself...

• Like Like x 3
  12. Aggieman

Ratings:
    +194
    I finally sent him to ignore.

13. NORV4LIFE

Ratings:
    +58
    I won't let you're homophilia dissuade me from critical comments. I also won't be stoped by attacks on my sexuality.

14. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    Totally disagree with you on AJ. He had 3 bad draft years in a row. Possibly last year was okay, and this year is looking like it might be alright (tough to tell yet). But from 2007, 2008, and 2009 sucked. You can't take 3 years off if you don't believe in acquiring FAs. AJ is ultimately responsible for this team. Not sure how anyone gives him a pass.

15. NORV4LIFE

Ratings:
    +58
    aj needs to be fired. He never should have drafte that fat pig cam thomas!

16. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Balls - Shaun Phillips. Mike Tolbert. Quentin Jammer got *** raped by the refs, but still had a great game.

Birds
    Rivers
    Cason
    Norv
    Manusky
    Spikes
    LaBoy
    Gregory
    Liuget
    Garay
    Cesaire
    Jackson
    Floyd for getting injured again
    Goodman (WORST KICK RETURNER EVER!)
    McMichael

17. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    Yep, I forgot Goodman. Not sure why he gets the green light to take it out of the end zone. More often than not he runs into someone before the 20.

Just rewatched the game on Sunday Ticket short cuts. No way was the outcome on the refs. Our run D sucked. So the Jets were able to set up play action. Also, as usual, we couldn't cover TEs or Slot WRs. The Jets converted a lot of 3rd and longs that had nothing to do with the refs.

Rivers looks really bad throwing the ball away on the last play of the game.

18. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    ??
    That was a value pick late in the draft.
    AJ's big mistakes are giving up 2nd round picks too often and missing on 1st rounders too often.

19. Joy Division

Joy Division Slightly-known Member

Ratings:
    +542
    Agree with it all, except for McMichael. He got open a few times, unlike the rest of the "receivers".

20. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    Yep, though he missed some key blocks. Also Jammer missed some tackles and got smoked by both Holmes and Kerley. The PIs were bogus, but even if those had been PDs, it still would have been a bad game from Jammer. It really looked like he didn't want to take on Greene on that one long run that Jammer could have stopped at the LOS.

21. NORV4LIFE

Ratings:
    +58
    He looks like LT falling over every play.

22. NORV4LIFE

Ratings:
    +58
    He never should have drated english. To think he drafted english and we coulda had clay matthews.

23. Lancer 1

Ratings:
    +341
    I would tend to disagree, in addition to the numerous draft picks from those years mentioned that are currently starting for us, still on the team or contributing for another NFL team, there are a host of undrafted free agents that AJ has added that helped us win games, or veteran free agents we signed & plugged in to cover for injuries suffered at various positions.

2007:
    Davis - admittedly, AJ really swung & missed big time on this one
    Weddle – starting safety, possible Pro Bowler if he keeps making timely interceptions
    Chandler – now doing the job in Buffalo, but keeping Gates instead was a no brainer
    Legedu – now in Carolina, helped us win the Colts playoff game that season though
    Siler – good defender, gave us 4 solid years before signing with KC & going on their IR list this year.

2008:
    Cason – starting right cornerback
    Hester – starting fullback & occasional tailback
    UFA Tolbert – starting tailback, along with Ryan Mathews
    UFA Nwagbuo - good D-line depth.

2009:
    English – the jury’s not completely out on him yet, shows occasional flashes of brilliance
    Vasquez – starting right guard
    Martin – depth on our D-line
    Green – depth on our O-line
    Hughes – depth in our secondary

24. paddyirishman

paddyirishman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +60
    Balls - Butler

Birds - Rivers, Cason, Crayton, Goodman, Norv,

Goodman looks awful on the kick returns. Walters may be a better option.

25. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +505
    Balls - really finding it hard to think of anyone. I'll give one to Butler because I like him as a 'player', that strip was a thing of beauty. Liked the job Dombo did at LT, was worried when McNeill went down but Dombo did ok. Tolbert certainly put in a days work.

Birds - Cason, how could he let Burress score 2 identical TDs?. I thought he was better than this.
    Philip, he looks totally put of sorts, I wonder how much Norv has to do with this.
    Wideouts, ok so their QB is not playing well but surely you can get open once in a while.
    Crayton, what are you doing fair catching on the 5 and then running after calling a fair catch. Do you want to play more on O?.
    Norv for lots of things but I'm gona zero in on this one. Deciding on the active roster. Sit Green but have so many WRs active, sit OG and have Harris active, are you saying Harris > OG?. Bringing Brinkley in (I agree with this) and not giving him a shot. English was active too right?, you'd never have known, completely ineffective.
    Goodman, I reckon this guy is too fast for the guys in front of him. He is on Hester (last man back) before Hester gets to his block, the timing is not right there. Hester and the rest need to get on their blocks faster to allow Goodman do his thing. Falling over your own feet is just a sign of a guy trying to do too much instead of being more patient.

26. NORV4LIFE

Ratings:
    +58
    I see a problem with this. THere are alot of draft picks missing. THat says something about the drafting. Only Two guys from 2008 even made your list and one udfa. Doesn't that say something about the rest of the draft class?

27. Lightning_Dynasty

Lightning_Dynasty Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +310
    Cool. Did you know how both players would turn out at the time? If so, then you are blessed with a gift of foresight not bestowed on us mortals. I am so jealous right now. I wish I knew how every single draft pick would play out, instead of hoping every pick pans out. I mean, there are just so many things that can happen. It just makes it so hard.

Teach me how to be like you!?

28. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    I'm just saying it's a little excessive.

29. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    Balls
    Tolbert, gates, Phillips. Weddle, butler, Novak

Birds
    Refs, norv turner, defense the second half, Cason, rivers

• Like Like x 1
  30. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    Agree the English pick sucked. There are a bunch of teams crying about not drafting Matthews.