1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Ban the Trumpet

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by sdbound, Jun 13, 2010.

1. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    World Cup organiser mulls vuvuzela ban

(AFP) – 7 hours ago

JOHANNESBURG — World Cup organising committee head Danny Jordaan on Sunday did not rule out banning vuvuzelas, the noisy plastic trumpets which have proved a hit with fans in South Africa but threaten to deafen players and viewers alike.

Criticism of the vuvuzelas has been almost as loud as the instruments themselves with broadcasting companies complaining the din is almost drowning out commentary.

"We've tried to get some order," said Jordaan.

"We have asked for no vuvuzelas during national anthems or during stadium announcements. I know it's a difficult question," he added, saying that "we're trying to manage the best we can.

"We heard from the broadcasters and individuals and it's something we are evaluating on an on-going base.

Jordaan told the BBC in an interview that he had to consider the option of banning the trumpets.

"If there are grounds to do so, yes," he said, asked if a ban was an option.

France captain Patrice Evra said the incessant noise was a factor in his side's poor display in their draw with Uruguay.

According to Evra: "We can't sleep at night because of the vuvuzelas. People start playing them from 6 a.m. We can't hear one another out on the pitch because of them," the Frenchman added.

Jordaan said: "I would prefer singing" and called on fans to chant instead.

"In the days of the struggle (against apartheid) we were singing, all through our history. It's our ability to sing that inspired and drove the emotion.

2. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Made me look. :lol:

3. ghost_

ghost_ BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +106
    me too:icon_rofl:

4. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    I like em!

5. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    Those goddamn things are seriously curbing my willingness to watch. After about 30 minutes into the GER/AUS match I had to turn the volume completely off, the sound was giving me a headache. I don't blame the players at all, as a viewer it's terribly annoying.

BAN THEM

6. Fouts

Fouts I heart Deano!

Ratings:
    +350
    What's soccer? :icon_shrug::lol:

7. Ray Dahayder

Ray Dahayder BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +33
    They sort of lull me to sleep..... and the last thing soccer needs is more stuff to put their viewers to sleep. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

8. paddyirishman

paddyirishman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +60
    They are bloody annoying those things. Im trying to watch Italy and Paraguay right now, and the noise goes through you.

the Irish Channel thats broadcasting the tournament, RTE, received several hundred complaints by phone during the game last Saturday night. People thought there was a problem with the broadcast. Bleeding wallies!!:icon_rofl:

They will be banned soon.

9. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    I got banned by the Chargers from bringing the trumpet inside the stadium circa early 80's. :tdown:

The legend continues. :bolt:

• Like Like x 1
  10. sdchrger

sdchrger Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +820
    How's Dubai?

11. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    They add nothing, and are solely responsible for making this the least enjoyable Cup I've ever seen. Congrats idiots!

12. clontarf_bolt

clontarf_bolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +40
    everybody needs to chill over the vuvuzelas, yeah theyre annoying, but if u actually pay attention to the football and the commentators then its pretty easy to tune them out.

everybodys acting like its some big deal, but they had them at the confederations cup last year so we all knew they'd be here again. Yeah they pissed me off last year, but screw it, its the World Cup!!

13. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Exactly. It is the world cup, and I won't watch it with or without those horns.

14. clontarf_bolt

clontarf_bolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +40
    yeah well thats what happens when you live in america

15. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    I took a nice nap during the USA/England match.

Woke up and it was still 1-1... only... a bunch of Americans in some bar were shown celebrating.

ridiculous.

16. Zeus

Zeus BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +83
    It is more than annoying. Get rid of thse trumpets ban them. I don't care if cheap plastic horns are used to sing the SA anthem get rid of them. The people that use them aren't even watching the game, the camera scans to them and their just blowing into the horns with a blank expression on their faces.

17. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    I dig the trumpet. :lol:

It's weird, and I understand why it might get annoying. But to me it sounds like a bunch of Roman war horns blowing at the onset of some horrific assault. My imagination is way more exciting than soccer.

18. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Well, you are describing the typical soccer crowd (horrific assault), and that is just AYSO...

19. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    And they sucked at the Confederations Cup too.

They are pointless. They add nothing to the game. They are annoying. The mindless idiots who blow them do so for the entire game regardless of the situation. It sucks having to watch games with the sound muted, but try as I might, I can't tune out those ****** horns.

Congratulations South Africa. If your goal was to host the worst Cup ever, you are succeeding wildly.

20. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210
    I feel that way at the very beginning of a match but 30 minutes into it just reminds me of a swarm of bees buzzing in my head. I miss the chanting and the singing.

21. sickswonnyne

sickswonnyne Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +79
    I have one of those, they're fun!!

I got it at a Chivas (Mexico) vs. River Plate (Argentina) game. At QUALCOMM STADIUM. I could care less about the teams, and I'm not a huge soccer buff, but that game was sooo fun. The stadium was nowhere near capacity, but it sounded like it was!

I worked at the Q for 5 or 6 years. I worked all the Charger games including the playoffs, a few Padre games, Holiday and Pointsettia Bowls, Motocross, and a Super Bowl. But every year the craziest environment are the soccer games. It's loud but it's such a fun party atmosphere.

By the way the Monster truck rallies and motocross are the most annoying BY FAR!!! Sooo loud and soo annoying.

Buut Chanting and singing is the way to go

22. Drunk

Drunk Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +202
    haha, i thought i was the only one. and yes i was up at 4am to hear them. :icon_banana:

you focken americans!

:flag:

23. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Colonialists, thank you very much :lol:

24. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Many offers but none that excite me to say "yes" :bolt: