1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Based on this year's draft

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by charger1993, Jun 10, 2012.

1. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,075
    You realize that Cromartie and Talib were two entirely separate draft classes, right? Talib was in the same class as Cason... he also was (and really still is) a pure zone corner - great short area quickness but he doesn't have the length or strength to play on an island and defend a full sideline. If you'd have said you wanted Brandon Flowers (which I did, and I'm not just saying that to get back on Buck's good side because Flowers is a Hokie), I might have bought that... he was who I wanted over Cason. As to Cromartie, we went with the slightly riskier pick that had greater upside in Cro over Jonathan Joseph - and don't doubt that a good deal of influence in making that decision came from Wade (who had always had AJ's ear). I really don't consider it much of a coincidence that when Wade left and was replaced with Milktoast Teddy that there was also a distinct Charmin-like quality that crept into Cro's play. or that once we had a DC who wasn't a pushover that Cro was traded.

Also, Cromartie had one injury in college, a torn ACL. If that's all it takes for you to classify a player as injury "prone" then you, sir, need a new dictionary or some better functioning neurons.

T'eo's going to be a player we very likely won't even have a shot at, to be honest, and not because he's anything great but because he'll work out exceedingly well (see Aaron Curry, Rolando McClain) and there are enough teams willing to bank on upside over polish in a wage-scale draft system. He won't be even 2/3 of the player Luke Kuechly will though, and he's got tons of size on Kuechly, so that's really saying something. And honestly, Manti better hope to God he doesn't get injured, because if he does, he won't go any higher than the 3rd round.

2. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I didn't know that you needed to get back on my good side. When did you leave it? :)

3. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,231
    Woa! Woa! Woooooooooooo... Buck has a good side?!

Lies I say! Lies!

4. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Sure I do ..... wanna see it? :p

5. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,075
    As far as where I'd like to see us go...

1st Round: Best Player Available among CB, OLB, WR, OL
    Reasoning: All of these areas are going to take hits in free agency, likely more so than we're able to account for with just the talent we've already got on the roster. I still have my doubts that AJ will be all that keen on a 1st round OL - though he was, according to reports, intending to select Duane Brown with the pick used on Cason in 2008 had the Texans not traded above us to take him. The nice thing is, there's a lot of meat at these positions at the top of this draft class so someone of quality in one of those areas should trickle down (or if we're picking early it likely means a bad enough season that Dean will have little choice but to give AJ to the ol' heave ho for fear of completely losing the fan base).

2nd Round: Best Player Available among whichever of the 3 positions above weren't selected, and I'd start including NT here as well
    Reasoning: I know someone's going to say, well if we need an NT why not just take one in the 1st round. Simple answer, because after Hankins and Lotulelei (both of whom will comfortably slot into the Top 15 even in spite of the amount of QB's in the class - and I'm still not convinced Urban Meyer won't convince Hankins to stay for his senior year), there isn't an NT that will contribute enough Day 1 to merit passing on a player at a different position who will. Folks have already said it, it takes at least one full season for a 3-4 NT to adapt/transition to the NFL. And our issue is that we've got enough quality depth at the 5-Tech positions that there aren't going to be a lot of reps to be had by said developing NT to still get them minutes even if it's not at the 0-Tech.

3rd Round: See above, but start factoring in ILB and RB.
    Reasoning: Granted, some of this may be dependent on what kind of season Mouton has. However, even if he's deemed to be little more than backup material, the MAC position isn't one I see it as terribly necessary to invest a high pick in order to get a high quality starter. The value for most ILB's doesn't kick in until the 2nd round anyway, so factor in proliferation due to other positions in the draft, and you've still got trickle down from the 1st tier and the majority of the 2nd tier of guys at the position available in the 3rd. A guy like Mike Mauti even with a great season isn't going to climb higher than the 2nd round because of injury concerns, which gives him strong potential to be available in the 3rd to 4th and he makes a great complement to Butler. When it comes to interior linebackers, superior instincts and coaching should be given a much higher premium than superior athleticism.

6. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,075
    In all fairness... it's kind of like the least dirty side of the plate as opposed to "good". But it's still a definitively cleaner side than the other one.

7. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    You love me, don'tcha? :cool:

8. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,075
    Yeah, but I'm a world class prick. So I'm not sure that says much in your favor.

9. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    It doesn't. Just further supports the "birds of a feather" theory.

10. charger1993

charger1993 bad motherfucker

Ratings:
    +121
    Kuechly's biggest knock is that he cant make tackles at the line, and yes ive even seen him practice being i was in spartanburg for a week of training camp, Kuechly wont be anytype of player but a straight tackler who tackles 8 yards up the field. Manti has alot of promise and i dont see why you dont like him, He makes tackles at the line, he has a great IQ, he's a sure tackler almost everytime at the line, the only thing he's not great at is Blitzing, and that's fine, MLB need to cover and make sure no dump pass's,pass's over the middle, or run get anywhere, Butler isnt a great pass rusher but he is one hell of a MLB. Butler and Te'o play very Similar ball, it wouldnt be a bad match up, And please tell me how well Spikes is looking for us right now, or even mouton. Even tho its preseason it looks as if Butler,Phillips, and Ingram are gonna have to play ever LB spot,.
    And yes talib was in a differnet draft class im fully aware of that, but who has had a better career? Talib or cromartie???our CB depth is laughable, And that ACL tear is very dangerous especially for a posistion that requires you to dip your hips, turn at full speed and not miss a beat, While it didnt Fully hinder Cro, I truly believe it stunted what he could have been, The kid had alot of potential , but i honestly believe that knee bothered him no matter what he said. There were some nights where he was on " Ask payton Manning" and then there were sometimes he was a joke " ask mark sanchez".

All im simply saying is there are better players we could draft, thats it. I know im not in the draft room and i cant see the future so my opinion doesnt matter really. But so far as i can tell from preseason my list still goes,
    MLB,CB,RT,DT, WR,RB,QB

11. Chris Duffy

Chris Duffy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +0
    One player i think is worthy of a NT mention in the first round is Jesse Williams. He's a monster, and one of the most physical players i've ever seen. He's truely a grind it out, 0T NT. There's a lot of guys i'd wait for in the 2nd round, but i really think that Jesse Williams is a mid/late 1st rounder. Jenkins may be close to being in 1st round contention.

I like some ILB value in the later rounds. But with Butler, i'd prefer a thumper, so a guy like Nico Johnson, Skov, Kiko Alonso among others. Bruce Taylor is a guy i think could have especially good value in the 3-4 round spot.

A LOT of this draft is gonna depend on the FA sesh we have. All Starters at CB, OG are FA's and some other FA's are very important.