1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Battle aims to fill Tobert's role(s)

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Blue Bolt, Jul 24, 2012.

1. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,401
    Tolbert left void that Battle looks to fill
    Written by
    Michael Gehlken

Mike Tolbert seemed to do it all during his four years in San Diego.

He was nails on special teams, a good running back, a solid fullback.

But he's in Carolina now, and if Chargers running back Jackie Battle has his way, he won't be overly missed.

Battle wrapped up an initiation of sorts Tuesday, practicing with mostly rookies during the first two days of training camp. Veterans report Wednesday with the first full-squad practice on Thursday, but Battle was allowed to start early because he ended last season on injured reserve.

Tolbert signed a four-year contract with the Panthers on March 19.

Come March 20, the Chargers were already hosting Battle for a visit at the team facility.

The two share a similar profile.

“I just felt San Diego was the best fit for me,” Battle, 28, said Tuesday. “With Tolbert leaving, they need someone to play special teams, play running back, play a little fullback, and those are all the things that I can do. That's what I'm thinking. That's my goal, to contribute as much as I can.”

The versatile Tolbert, a strong pass protector whose 54 receptions in 2011 ranked fourth among NFL running backs, was at his best on special teams.

Battle may not be able to match Tolbert's production in the passing game, but he hangs his helmet on the same place.

With the Chiefs, Battle had 10 tackles on special teams in 2010 and another five in 2011. He agreed to a one-year deal with the Chargers last week.

“The stats won't show, but I make it easy for other people to make plays, if that makes sense," Battle said. "I just do my job. I open up lanes for other people.”

2. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    Sorry for the misspelling in the title. :oops:

3. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    I hope he can because man we're gonna miss Mike.

4. Charger Dave

Charger Dave Dead account

Ratings:
    +1,028
    ::cough:: ::cough:: McClain? ::cough::

5. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    I will miss Tolbert bowling his way into the endzone like a Juggernaut. I will not miss him deluding himself into thinking that he's Barry Sanders, dancing around behind the line of scrimmage, and then getting tackled for a loss and/or fumbling the ball.

6. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    But can he DANCE???

7. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Some of what I've read re:McClain is that he has a sense of being a somewhat frustrated tailback, not necessarily a "true" FB. Hopefully this doesn't translate into the type of behavior that you described above. We need him to just hit people in the mouth, whether blocking or carrying.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,929
    FWIW imagine Hester is going to fill a similar role so the question is who takes over that job; Hester or Battle?

9. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    That's Jacob "11 pounds of muscle" Hester. ;)