1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Be a GM; FIX THE PADRES!

Discussion in 'All Other Sports' started by AnteaterCharger, May 8, 2008.

1. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,641
    OK lets see who has what ideas to fix the Padres, throw em out there.

Here are my few suggestions

Release: Jim Edmonds, Glendon Rusch, Justin Huber and probably Justin Germano [Just not getting it done]
    Offer Khalil Greene to the Cubs for Felix Pie, Eric Patterson Jr and Sean Marshall [Move Antonelli to SS, Pie to CF now, Patterson to 2B next year. I don't even care that Pie can't hit, he at least can patrol CF well. Antonelli and Patterson will provide speed at the top of the lineup for the 2009 season.]
    Call up Jody Gerut and platoon him in LF with Paul McAnulty [rotate them constantly until Headley is ready then trade McAnulty]
    Move Hairston to the fourth outfield spot [Best spot for him]
    Inform Trevor Hoffman this is his final year with the Padres [I love him and always will but he's done. Get Heath Bell ready for the closer's job and start pushing Matt Bush hard to develop into a closer]
    Trade Greg Maddux and Josh Bard to the Yankees for whatever they're willing to offer [They've had a hard-on for Maddux for years, maybe they'll hand over Austin Jackson and some other prospect]
    Send Joe Thatcher and Colt Morton down to AAA until he can fix his control problems [Not ready to give up on Thatcher, don't know about Morton. Call up Hundley to the majors and sign a vet like Damien Miller until Barrett's back]

Make some honest rationale suggestions as to what we should do

2. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,919
    What would be your next move after the Cubs GM laughs at you and hangs up the phone?

3. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,628
    1. Kidnap John Moores, Sandy Alderson, and Kevin Towers
    2. Throw them all in a huge burlap sack
    3. Lite burlap sack on fire
    4. ???
    5. PROFIT!

4. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,223
    Sell them and move out of town...

5. Electric Chair

Electric Chair New Member

Ratings:
    +579
    Make the tightwad Moores sell, or there is no hope.

6. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,919
    :icon_rofl:

7. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,919
    I kinda wish John Moores would sell the team.

That way when the next owner comes in and spends in the same fashion due to the market this team is in people can see that it's not just because Moores is a tightwad.

The Padres would be the Washington Senators now if not for John Moores.

8. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036

:icon_huh: Wasn't that Ray K. ???

you know Moores was Chairman of the Board of Peregrine and cashed out between $600M and $630M worth of Peregrine stock right before the company's Chapter 11 reorganization.

sound familiar?

and,

he also owns some damn piece of the RedSox. Probably a conspiracy!!

:lol:

• Like Like x 1
  9. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,919
    Ray K. did save the franchise once upon the time, but so did John Moores.

Tom Werner was very close to selling the Padres to a Washington DC based business man who wanted to move them to DC, but ended up selling to "Cheapskate" Moores instead who wanted to keep them in San Diego.

What does that have to do with the Padres? :icon_huh:

Did he shoot JFK as well?

10. tboltzcali

tboltzcali Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +107
    Where are all the padre faithfuls? They must of jumped ship. Fix this team??? Ha.

1. Trade Kouz, Cy for something
    2. Bring up headley to 3B, Antonelli 2B.

If we are gunna play like a triple A team, then we should atleast put trip A product on the field. Nothing now will fix this team, unless somehow we change owners. Kinda reminds me that we have Al Davis owner symptons.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,223
    I would sell the team then move out of town...

12. rexy2006

rexy2006 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,842
    Yes, they should sell them.:yes:

And yes, YOU should move out of town...:tup:

Because, they will NOT.:no:

What do you think they built Petco for? It was supposedly so they could field a good Padres team, which has been true until this year.

It has brought downtown redevelopment like nothing else. Downtown, especially the Gaslamp District, is bustling right now.:icon_banana:

They should bring the kids up NOW. What the heck are they waiting for???

13. rexy2006

rexy2006 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,842
    BRING THE KIDS UP NOW!!! Just bringing Gerut up will NOT do it. I would "rock the ship" because it's sinking fast...Bring Wade LeBlanc,LHP, up too. Why the heck not?

<TABLE cellSpacing=3 cellPadding=0 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>Last modified Friday, May 9, 2008 10:57 PM PDT</TD></TR><TR><TD>[​IMG]</TD></TR><TR><TD class=story><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=photo><SCRIPT src="/shared-content/newsys/common/photo.js"></SCRIPT>[​IMG]</TD></TR><TR><TD class=photo width=600>Jody Gerut started in center field against the Rockies on Friday night after being recalled from Triple-A Portland. Photo by Jamie Scott Lytle.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    JAY PARIS COMMENTARY: Hey Padres, where are the kids?

[​IMG]
    By JAY PARIS - Staff Writer SAN DIEGO ---- A ticked off Padre Nation turns its seething eyes toward the team's front office. The season in which the Padres promised so much has dissolved into a downtown Dumpster dive.

That was evident again Friday night as the Padres squandered another decent Jake Peavy outing in a 4-2 loss to the Colorado Rockies.

General manager Kevin Towers guaranteed changes when the Padres returned from a 2-7 pileup on the road.

And the maneuver ---- drum roll, please ---- is Jody Gerut coming to center field? Is that the joke or the punch line? An aged Jim Edmonds was the marquee name kicked to the curb, making room for Gerut, who arrived from Triple-A Portland.

The Padres decided time had expired in expecting the light-hitting, slow-footed, 37-year-old Edmonds to turn back the clock.

But is Gerut, who has played 60 major-league games since 2005, the answer?

"He isn't here to shoulder the burden of the club," manager Bud Black said.

Whew, good thing.

Now, what about the next big thing in Chase Jordan Headley:tup:? It appears His Airness isn't quite ready for prime time. That the landscape isn't right to plop Headley into this Rice Krispies lineup, which longs for a bat with pop rather than the usual snap and crackle.

Life isn't a bowl of cherries for Towers and Black, two guys who are easy to like. But their argument for not hollering for Headley doesn't go down easy.

"At some point and time, he will be here,'' Towers said. "But we didn't think it was an appropriate time right now to put him in a situation where expectations would be high and he would have added pressure on himself to turn this entire ballclub around."

Pressure? The Padres are buried in the NL West basement with the worst record (12-24) in the major leagues.

"I still think there is a learning curve,'' Black said of Headley, who has made the switch from third base to left field. "I don't know how big that curve is, but I think we saw a little bit of a transition for him getting off to a little bit of a rough start and now he has started to come on. He is feeling more comfortable in left field."

Good. But he should be getting cozy in the left field that abuts the Western Metal Supply Co. building, not the one with the soggy turf in Portland.

Headley went 5-for-5 on Thursday, raising his average to .304. The Padres went 5-for-5 Friday, as in a five-game losing streak to lower their winning percentage to .333.

"I don't think it is the proper environment right now to bring in a guy that we have touted so highly,'' Towers added. "And the fans expect that Chase will come in and play left field now and is looked upon as our savior to turn things around.

"As good of a player Chase is, and as good a hitter as we think he is, he's not going to make a huge difference right now with us jumping back into this thing.

"I don't know for sure, but I would imagine there would be some of that pressure if we put him in this environment right now."

Pressure? Headley is 24 and was billed, over and over, as being tough mentally. The spring training mantra was he could make the jump from Double-A, learn a new position, hit from both sides and turn cacti into palm trees.

But now the team needs a lift, the fans need a reason to keep attending ---- rows of seats behind home plate were vacant Friday ---- and the Padres need the buzz that Headley might bring.

Pressure doesn't bug 22-year-old Evan Longoria, the third-base phenom for the Tampa Bay Rays.

Pressure? The Diamondbacks' Justin Upton is 20 and hasn't gone bust.

Pressure? Tell it to the 18-year-old in Iraq dodging roadside bombs. Think he'd trade that for tracking major league fly balls.

Pressure? In San Diego, where the weather and media are equally mild? Where fans boo high beer prices but seldom flat performances? Do we have to pat and burp this 6-foot-2, 195-pound Headley forever?

"I don't think we are babying him," Towers said. "We want to make sure that we pick and choose the right time and the right atmosphere and everything to bring him into and for him to have the most success to reach his ultimate potential.

"I, as well as (team CEO Sandy Alderson) and even the coaching staff right now, think that the way things are going, there would be added pressure on him."

So what, when you construct a roster like the Padres.

The club doesn't sign high-priced free agents. The players the Padres acquire, through trades or free agency, are either deemed expendable by other clubs---- outfielder Scott Hairston ---- or come fairly cheap ---- second baseman Tadahito Iguchi.

Towers usually makes a mark by hoodwinking an organization with a trade or two.

But the Cardinals were happy to rid themselves of Edmonds for good reason.

"We've been fortunate the last two or three years that we have been mostly successful with what we have done, it has worked out pretty well,'' Alderson said. "Nonetheless, it's kind of a high-wire act, but we certainly didn't expect this kind of start."

To date, the farm system has produced rows and rows of wilted crops. That will change, the Padres swear, but when it's time to pluck a bouquet, they pass.

Seems catcher Nick Hundley, second baseman Matt Antonelli and Headley will remain Beavers since the Padres are not eager to summon the kiddie corps.

There will be expectations whenever Headley arrives, and that's just baseball.

But the brand of baseball the Padres have produced ---- 18 losses in 22 games ---- got old fast. That's even more reason to go young.

"We do have a much better farm system, but we aren't at the point that we can harvest those players," Alderson said. "They are there, and it looks like we will have some good players, but they are not quite ready."

Ready or not, here they should come. Otherwise, the Padres' endless summer could be just that.

Contact staff writer Jay Paris at jparis8@aol.com.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

14. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +632
    1) NO MORE LEFT HANDED POWER HITTERS.

2) Find a catcher that can at least throw out my grandma.

33 SB, 6 CS, .154 % That is fuking pathetic. Worst in the NL and 2nd worst in the MLB.

3) Start bringing guys up, because the vets on this team are not getting it done. Might as well lose with the future and not the present.

Team is LAST in the MLB in team batting avg.

15. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,720
    Was I, or was I not, the one who said Jim Edmonds was a big freaking waste of time and money!?!?!?!?

I bet you'd all like to have Mike Cameron back now.

16. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    1- Fire Towers
    2- Fire Bud Black
    3- Release Giles.
    4- replace any player not named Adrian Gonzales, Kalihl Greene,Jake Peavy and Koz.

I agree with finding a Catcher that can atleast get close to throwing out a runner. It would help if the pitchers could hold a runner on.

17. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    Milton Bradley too

18. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +632
    Yep. When Chris Young is on the mound, I would send everyone that makes it to 1st base. With his delivery and Bards arm, you could trot to 1st base.

19. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    Why? No need for that. They draw well even when they are mediocre and the ticket prices are expensive now to see that mdeiocre which is now dismal and yet they still show up. However.....Las Vegas is looking for a pro franchise and id welcome any SD team to move here :yes:

As long as Moores doesnt come with them.

20. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    There is a team that is worse? :icon_eek:

• Like Like x 1
  21. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +632
    Not any more. Since I posted that, we have now dropped below KC....

• Like Like x 1
  22. EsDee_in_RI

EsDee_in_RI Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133
    I can't believe what i am reading....Sell them and move them out of town? C'mon people....These are the Padres! We are talking about....Love them!!!

23. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,628
    You want to know the worst part? The ****** *** padres and their lawsuit riddled stadium are the main reason the Chargers can't get a new stadium from the city.

:mad:

24. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    Trade Giles for whatever we can get, wait for Greene to get hot and trade him around the deadline or when you get a great offer.

Promote Headley, I wouldn't promote Antonelli yet since he's struggling.

Trading CY is kind of hard since he has an escalator clause in his contract, where he gets more if he's traded, but I'd explore it

Acquire speed, acquire real talent, start drafting some of the freaks instead of being cheap or drafting some average college pitcher.

Makes me sick that we pass on those baseball freaks for guys like Stauffer or Bush. WTF?

Oh and KT needs to stop being afraid of pulling off trades, there were so many almost trades during the off-season that KT balked from, instead he trades for the bum Jim Edmonds, when we could of gotten so much better.

I don't want to pretend like I would know how to fix all the problems, but there's a ton of them and they need to be fixed, it's not that hard to see them.