1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Be thankful that Kevin Acee isn't the GM...

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Blue Bolt, Jul 25, 2012.

1. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,411
    It's time for Chargers to start signing guys early again
    Written by

We called you a tough guy, and we meant it as a compliment.

You were afraid of nothing. Confident you were right, not worried about being wrong.

You went for whatever you wanted whenever you wanted, didn't care what anyone thought.

Oh, you knew the risk. And you laughed in its face. Then slapped it upside the head.

I know you still cherish your reputation as a wild card, still love to bring the hammer.

But something is missing. It's big. It's been a while.

And since I'm calling you out for not getting down to it, I'll just get down to it.

A.J. Smith, you need to get your mojo back and sign some guys to long-term deals. You know, like you did in the old days.

Don’t look at me (my column mug) like I’m crazy. Everyone knows we’re buds. We can have this talk.

I know I don't know everything you're scheming. But you know I know enough.

And I know this:

The old A.J. would have already signed Antoine Cason or Louis Vasquez, maybe even Tyronne Green. Maybe all three. At least the old A.J. would be trying.

Now? Virtually nothing. Some preliminary talks. Waiting and seeing.

A.J., stop messing around. Training camp is upon us. That trio's final season under your control is coming up.

You can do it. You have it in you.

Heck, you extended the contracts of 20 players between 2004-07. That wasn't that long ago.

Included in that span were Shaun Phillips, Stephen Cooper and Luis Castillo, among other young guys who arguably had not yet fully earned those deals.

Phillips and Cooper got team-friendly contracts but were also rewarded because you deemed them to have bright futures. Those turned out well.

Castillo? Well, I liked him too, even if I wouldn’t have made him the NFL’s fourth-highest paid defensive end in 2008. But no one is perfect. And at least you tried.

Then you stopped.

Yes, you signed Philip Rivers to the richest contract in team history in 2009 and Antonio Gates for what was at the time (2010) the most money ever paid a tight end. But those were no-brainers.

Really, what happened, gunslinger?

I know the slowdown was initially because your boss was waiting to see how the labor war shook out. That made sense. But the new CBA has been in place for a year now.

I know your numbers genius and right hand man, Ed McGuire, can make everything work under the salary cap.

You can come up with all sorts of reasons you haven’t gotten knee deep into contract talks with these guys.

Vasquez has yet to play 16 games in a season, missing time with different ailments each of his three seasons. Green has been used only as a spot starter, hamstrung by his inconsistent play and his tremendous versatility. Cason has coupled a few downs with his ups.

But, A.J., none of that is enough to explain why you haven’t already or aren’t close to signing at least one of these guys.

Let’s remember you signed Phillips after one season starting alongside Shawne Merriman. Cooper had been busted for steroids (big time) in college and wouldn’t become a starter until the year after you extended him. I could go on.

I also know it takes two to tango.

These guys have to be willing to accept less money in exchange for immediate security. I don't think all of them will.

But the onus, really, is on you to at least make competitive offers. Now.

I’m not telling you what I know. You’ve got your secrets, and I have mine. It’s how we’ve always worked. But let’s just acknowledge you haven’t made a substantive offer to any of these guys.

More than anything, let’s consider the alternative.

It’s Jeromey Clary.

I’ve spent a lot of time defending Clary. He’s a fine right tackle. But you waited until he was an unrestricted free agent and had to give him $8.6 million in first-year money last August.

Or take Eric Weddle. I’ve long been unabashed in professing my love for that guy. I fully believe he’s on his way to justifying the five-year, $40 million deal you gave him. But you could have had him for much less a year or two earlier.

We don’t even need to talk about you letting Vincent Jackson go. It’s best if we don’t go there again.

Sure, it could turn out that a deal will cost you less after this year. But I’m betting not.

Look, it takes a lot of nerve to make these kinds of calls. There is danger in being proactive on these contracts. (I remember Shane Olivea.)

But, A.J., you always tout the fact you’ve stocked the roster with high-character guys. As a general rule – think Kris Dielman, Weddle, Clary -- high-character guys actually play better after they get the big money.

I didn't mention a couple guys that for various reasons I believe you're not interested in spending significant money to keep beyond 2012.

Cason is a no-brainer. You might be waiting to see what Vasquez and Green will do over the course of a season, but you should already know that one or the other (or both) would provide long-term security on the inside of the offensive line.

Come on, tough guy.

2. _Oz

_Oz Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +31
    This is disturbing. Though I agree with some of it, it reads like a trusted concubine giving advice in bed after a servicing.

• Funny Funny x 2
  3. Nomad

Nomad Very Senior Member

Ratings:
    +155
    I think we are pretty well tapped out on Cap money for this year. I'm not sure how they could free up more Cap space, but maybe Ed can find a way.

4. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    Acee can't hit the broad side of a barn. Nothing new.

5. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    You mean he wasn't trying to be funny?

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  6. Cheapseats

Cheapseats Loud, proud Charger fan

Ratings:
    +373
    As usual....not intentionally. :D

7. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    He says "Cason is a no brainer" HAHAHA:laugh: I can't think of a player on this who's play in 2012 will sway his pay day more. What number do you just grab out of thin air for one of the most inconsistant players on our roster? And why would he settle for an early deal unless he doubted his own ability?

I could understand Vasquez, IMO he was stellar last year.

8. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    All 3 of those guys are wait and see. Let's face it, AJ's a putz. But he's not as dumb as Acee :eek:

9. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    I gotta say I think waiting on Vasquez could be a mistake, espescially if Green doesn't pan out. He'll have AJ by the balls in the next negotiation the same way Weddle did.

10. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    If AJ can't find a better RG than Vasquez, then we're right ******. Dude is average. Let's see if other teams start sniffing around...

11. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,411
    Funny, I'd say that Vasquez has been just as inconsistent as Cason. Despite how things worked out with Castillo, his first two seasons were impressive. None of the three guys Acee mentioned have shown they are players you can count on.

12. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Maybe you remember a few bad plays, but I guarantee they are far outweighed by the positive. He is almost never caught out of position in pass coverage, and he is a well above average run blocker...although I'll admit pretty damn sloppy when pulling left.

He's no Steve Hutchinson or Alan Faneca but he's solid and it'd suck to lose him and have to spend find a replacement. I'd like to see us spend as much of resources on CB, SS, and RT as possible next year.

13. nflhof

nflhof BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    Why does Acee think he needs to tell AJ what to do? I've enjoyed reading his stuff, but I must say I didn't enjoy reading that pile. It's training camp day 1 for cripes sake.

14. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    The negative plays are always far outweighed by the positive, else the guy wouldn't be in the NFL or even the NCAA.
    I hear you on CB and SS (pending Taylor's development). But I'm not seeing a whole lot of difference between Vasquez and Clary. We can live with them, but we don't need to spend on them.

15. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    "Signing him to a long term deal" doesn't necessarily equate to backing a Brinks truck up to his door.

16. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,887
    That damn AJ, why can't he just sign all-pro players at every position like the good GM's do?

17. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +505
    'I didn't mention a couple guys that for various reasons I believe you're not interested in spending significant money to keep beyond 2012'

Who are the guys going into their last year that he means above?....

I'd be on for signing Cason now and probably Vasquez too. I think Green will make it but not so sure just yet so I'd watch this space with him.

Is there a deadline for extending guys?. Could the team for example extend a contract to a long term in the month of Sept/Oct ie. wait and see how Green pans out.

18. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    Kevin seems to have fell off the wagon..... and hit his head!

19. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +505
    Oh and btw thanks for posting the article. I am blocked as of this morning from reading UT online. They are looking for me to subscribe.​

20. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    I do agree with the premise of what Acee is saying, just not with any of the 3 players that he singles out. Had he singled out Matthews and Butler as players that need to be locked up early to long term, team friendly contract, I would agree. But none of the 3 players he mentioned have proven they deserve new contract yet. They very well may do it this year, but they haven't done it yet. Butler and Matthews have at least shown that they have hte potential to be studs in the league, something Green, Vasquez, and Cason have yet ot show flashes of

21. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Same here. I've heard you get 15 or less articles/month free, then it's pay time.

No

22. _Oz

_Oz Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +31
  23. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,887
    That's just out and out bullshit.

24. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,411
    [​IMG]

25. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,887
    I haven't been blocked out yet but then again, I just look at the pictures, screw the articles.

• Funny Funny x 1
  26. boltfanatik

boltfanatik Toxic Minority Member

Ratings:
    +112
    Finally someone mans up to how they read a playboy!:p

27. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    Probably for the same reason the same silly canard gets rolled out again and again

28. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    Who mentioned a Brinks truck? The point is this: don't spend on them until you're ready to spend on them. All 3 guys need to show that they deserve more years in SD.

29. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,411
    [​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 1