1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Beanie Wells

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by RM24, Apr 23, 2009.

1. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    I'm not saying we should draft this guy but I caught an interview of him on "Rome's Burning" yesterday and really like what I heard. Dude seems like a great guy, hard worker and was very positive and upbeat, not cocky. I knew he was a baller, but just hearing his responses to Romes questions made me think I wouldn't mind getting this guy. Hell of a player and would fit on this team very nicely. I know we have more pressing needs but I got a feeling this guy is going to be special at the NFL level. Just my 2 pennies.....

2. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    I was thinking the same thing. Always nice to see a guy with his head screwed on right.

3. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556

I've started to pull for Beanie a little in the last week. He's big, he's fast, he's physical, he's basically Michael Turner all over again. And we should count our blessings if this legit top 5-10 talent falls to us at 16. LT is getting older, and Sproles is not his replacement.

On the other hand I do like Rey Maualuga, he reminds me of Ray Lewis.

4. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +505
  5. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    Injury trouble as long as your arm
    Doesn't play through minor pain
    Has been caught from behind

Yeah no thanks

6. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    Drafting a RB in the 1st would be a travesty with such massive defensive deficiencies.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Eloquent. :tup:

8. TheBeast

TheBeast BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
  9. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    No effing way. Shonn Greene in the second(trade up).
    My name is Beanie :icon_rofl:

10. Camilo

Camilo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +3
    Drafting a RB in the 1st round would be absolutely ridiculous! Forget the fact LT and Sproles are here (even though some people have LT wih 1 foot out the door. NOT me for the record). How about the fact that we already used our 2nd round pick THIS year on a RB (Hester)! You don't take a back in the first round with the guys we have. I don't care what people say about getting LT's replacement. We can get a RB latter in the draft that can be groomed without the financial expectations of playing now. I wanna win NOW! This year!Nothing against Wells or Moreno but how are they going to help us this year and don't give me if LT goes down thing. All teams are screwed if 1 of their studs goes down. And why the hell did we franchise Sproles if he's not going to get 150-200 touches this year which limits LT's chances of getting hurt. Anyway, I'm talking to much but what I want is Defense. Our D was a joke last year and it had no balls. Yes, #56 is coming back but how effective will he be? That kid Rey hits people like he hates them. Thats who I want. Somebody whose going to try to split someone in half. And as we saw last year, especially early on, the middle of our D was like a "SWV". Thats a quote from boltdiehard. Soft Wet Vagina.

• Like Like x 1
  11. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    Speaking of Shonn Greene:

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/nfceast/0-9-128/No-need-for-Eagles-to-rush-on-a-RB.html

I agree. I think we draft defense DT, ILB or SS then draft a RB later with one of the 4th round picks we have. Maybe package to move up like you said. I'm just saying Wells seems like a good dude, not a head case prima-dona. Then again he could be another McFadden.....

12. ghost_

ghost_ BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +106
    QFT,COSIGN,TRUE DAT,AMEN

13. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +689
    Dude is projected for the low 1st round in the late 20s.

Moreno is projected higher.

Drafting Wells :eyepoke: would be a colossal waste for SD.

Now, NO might take him at 14 as they need a big back, but they can find a short yardage back in FA.

• Like Like x 1
  14. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    I don't understand how it can be a waste. LT is on his back end, Sproles is not a 30 carry back, and I'd go so far as to compare Beanie Wells to Adrian Peterson (minus the one extra year of college). If your thinking future, Beanie is a great complement to LT for the next couple years, and then he's going to be a great every down back.

I would not be dissapointed with Maualuga, but Beanie Wells makes sense long term.

15. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    :tup:

16. pure-sol

pure-sol Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +255
    I'll just quote Ant for the reasons why Wells won't last long in the NFL. If we're going to get a RB in the first round (I'd rather we didn't) then it had better be Knowshon. Hell, I'd rather have Greene and he isn't nearly on par as Moreno or Wells.

17. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556

I dont know how you knock the guy physically, he's bigger, faster, quicker, and has better vision through the hole than Knowshon. He was also just as productive in college despite the foot injury last year. Look at any draft experts analysis for proof of that. What worries me is scouts also seem to think he is somewhat of a mental midgit. That he will run like a man possessed when he feels like it, and then take himself out of the game the next second.

So I follow you half way, mental toughness is something you can't teach. But physically I doubt theres a more athletic runningback in the NFL right now. Its homerun or bust, thankgod I don't have to make this decision.

18. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +689
    Wells is projected in the low 1st rnd almost everywhere. Comparing him to AP is laughable.

Moreno is above him.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +689
    :lol:

Not even close.

20. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    There isn't a RB in this draft that matches up to AP. :no:

I'd give our 16 right now for AP & tell LT adios. :yes:

21. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    Yup, it was a "travesty" when a guy named Tomlinson was drafted in the 1st round along with a guy named Peterson was drafted by the Vikes in the 1st round too.....(not saying Wells is but you never know.....)

22. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Based on what? :icon_shrug: If your gonna laugh at me at least give me a reason.

How bout a less racist Larry Johnson?

23. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    If Wells is there and the top 4 OL arent, we would be stupid to pass on him

We have no big RBs, and really, we have no real backup if LT gets injured for a long period of time. Sproles is not an everydown back (unless we play horrible run defenses like the colts or broncos), and would get beat up if ask too be.

RB is a bigger need than some people want to believe, and Beanie Wells is the perfect fit for Norv turners power run game

24. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    Well we have Jacob Hester and Darren Sproles to keep the ball out of LT's hands and preserve him for a few a big plays. Another RB in this line up is necessary but we can get it later, at a very good price.

25. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Yeah, Wells compares very favorably with both LT & AP. :lol:

Are you smoking the same **** as RIP? :icon_tease:

26. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    Camilo LT needs to quit being a bizznatch and get it done in Jan. :yes: :D

We're not taking a back bro. :no:

I'll talk to you tomorrow. :bolt::icon_toast:

• Like Like x 1
  27. RipTheJacker

Ratings:
    +152
    people need to stop thinking that Hester and Sproles are NFL caliber RBs

Hester is an undersized FB, hes way to slow to be a RB and doesnt have the explosion needed to be a RB. THe team realized that last year when they moved him to FB. Hopefully hes bulked up.

Sproles is great at what hes used for, but thats not a full time RB. Hes a great scat back, maybe the leagues best screen player and a great kick returner, but hes too small to be an everydown RB if anything happens to LT. He wont hold up with the pounding that comes from full time carries, and the beating he will take trying to chip and block pass rushers.

What i dont get is, everyone keeps saying that we need to get an impact player for this year, yet are SO against drafting an RB and yet RB is the position where rookies are most likely to make an impact.

Do you guys think the panthers regret drafting Jonathan Stewart in the 1st last year even though they had a recent 1st round RB in place? Do you think the Titans regret drafting Chris Johnson even though they already had a 23 year old 1100 yard rusher?
    Im guessing the bears are regretting taking Forte when they already had a recent #4 overall pick at RB.

Sure beanie wouldnt be a 1500 yard rusher as a rookie (unless something happened to LT), but in the future, he could be that guy, especially if he has a guy like sproles to take some touches on 3rd down, and for now could be our short yardage back and a guy who can come in late in games and beat up a worn down defense. Think about it this way, if a defense is trying to keep up with LT and Sproles speed for 3 quarters, they are going to wear themselves out, then we can bring in 235-240lb Chris wells, who has great speed himself, and watch a worn out defense trying to tackle him. How many 4th quarter leads did our defense give up because they were so tired at the end of games because the offense couldnt sustain drives? Dont you guys think he would help us with that?

28. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    F.U.C.K. Ohio State

29. RipTheJacker

Ratings:
    +152
    Im a U of Michigan Homer, so i agree 100%, but even with that, i cant ignore how good beanie is

30. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    If we take Beanie in the first round we'll be paying him first-round money while he does the same work another RB could be doing for half or 3/4 of the cost. Yes, later we'll be replacing LT but who says Beanie is the answer? Better yet, if we get a RB in the later rounds, like one of our 4th's, we could mold him into a feature back. Bottom line - we don't have to spend first-round money to find LT's replacement. That money should go to alleviating our more pressing needs. This year it's not behind the QB.