1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Bear fan needing advice/foods for SD tailgate

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by BearBoltz, Nov 14, 2011.

1. BearBoltz

BearBoltz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +0
    I am a Bears' season ticket holder and always serve food and drink of the opposing team @ tailgates. I usually don't have trouble. However I somewhat unfamilar with what San Diego (and didn't go to last game in 03') is know for other than fish tacos. I have seen something on the net called California Burrito. Drink I am guessing something with tequila, mexican beer?

Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks

2. rickochey

rickochey BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    Hey that is mighty sportsmanlike of you to open your friendship.

Food is always good. Carne Asada burritos are good. Costco which is right around the corner has carne asada in already marinated.

Beer.. Coors light, bud light. corona.

Unfortunately. I just moved away from SD and would have liked to have stopped by.

3. pure-sol

pure-sol Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +255
    That's a cool thing of you to do man! Carne asada is a main staple of tailgates down here. Basically marinaded flank steak in a burrito. Refried beans, cheese, sour cream, fresh guacamole, all the good stuff. For beer, I usually bring some good craft beers from the "Craft beer capitol of the US" aka San Diego. Stone, Ballast Point, Coronado Brewing Company, etc. All great beers. I'm known as a beer snob though haha.

I hope the Chargers make it a good game!

Oh, and for clarification, a California Burrito, besides being probably the greatest creation known to man, is just a carne asada burrito with french fries added to it. Genius!

4. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,406
  5. BearBoltz

BearBoltz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +0
    I think carne asada sounds like the choice so far. The potatoes inside sounds tasty. Now that's fries, not chunks, correct?

Has anyone tried with sirloin steak or skirt, or is it always flank ? I use sirloin a lot, not a fan of skirt and flank isn't always the best for what you pay.

Thanks for the beer tip too! We have a few places around here that carry a decent amount of microbrews. Hopefully they have one.

Any more tips or even recipe is appreciated!!!

6. pure-sol

pure-sol Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +255
    French fries for sure, not chunks, although I'm sure they'd work in a pinch. You could use sirloin if you want, it's more about the correct asada marinade than anything else. Flank is just cheap. Also, pollo asado is good, just shredded chicken with the same marinade. Mexican food is easy man, and it tastes good too!