1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Bears offensive starters could go longer vs. ex-coordinator

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Aug 12, 2010.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    [​IMG]

Need to learn Mike Martz's scheme must be balanced

NFP - News
    By Brad Biggs
    August 12, 2010

As the Chicago Bears try to fast track the learning process when it comes to Mike Martz’s new offense, coach Lovie Smith is considering playing his starters longer than usual in Saturday’s preseason opener at San Diego.

Typically, Smith has played his starters about 15 snaps or one quarter. He said he might go longer than that against the Chargers, depending on the game situation. He’s big on removing his players after something positive, so if the offense puts together a long touchdown drive on its opening possession, well, that might do it. There is a fine line, balancing the need for work with the need to remain healthy, especially in a must-win season for Smith.

“We've got to get in and out of the huddle, set a good tempo, we don't want any missed assignments," quarterback Jay Cutler said of his goals. “There are probably going to be some things we haven't seen before; it's a 3-4 defense. We're not really preparing for this. We just want to go out there and take care of ourselves.”

Interestingly, the Bears will be going against former defensive coordinator Ron Rivera for the first time since he has been in charge of San Diego’s defense. Smith effectively fired Rivera following the team’s loss in Super Bowl XLI. Rivera was hired as the inside linebackers coach by Norv Turner and then was promoted to defensive coordinator during the 2008 season

2. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    I just wonder how many times we intercept Cutler... :lol:

3. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    That is the question in Chicago.
    Martz wants fewer interceptions while Cutler warns that there will be more.

Martz Wants To See Less Interceptions From Cutler in 2010

Posted by Matt Loede on July 27th, 2010 in News

Mike Martz wants to see one thing out of Jay Cutler as the 2010 season gets closer – less turnovers. It’s something that Cutler has to be aware of if the team is going to be successful in the upcoming season.

Bears offensive coordinator Mike Martz’ system will ask quarterback Jay Cutler to do the precise opposite of what we’ve seen him do in the pros thus far: throw to a spot, not an open receiver. In fact, one could argue that Cutler’s cannon arm might actually pose a problem for him in this system. “I totally agree with that,” Cutler said in an exclusive interview with the Sun-Times . “In the West Coast [offense], you can see it and let it fly. But this system is total trust. You have to trust the receivers. You have to trust the call. You have to trust the spots. If you don’t, if you don’t let it fly when it’s supposed to, it’s going to be an interception.” So, the good news is that Cutler understands his own limitations as a quarterback. The bad news is that, according to the same Sun-Times interview, he hasn’t found success throwing to spots thus far in his experience with Martz’ system. And, of course, there’s always the problem that Cutler has a strong propensity for making bad decisions in the heat of the moment during games.

Jay Cutler warns about interceptions

August 11, 2010

Chicago Bears quarterback Jay Cutler didn't take offense that a local newspaper is keeping a daily chart of his training camp interceptions, and he has a message to fans worried after he threw 26 picks last year.

"I'm going to throw some this year," he said Wednesday on "The Waddle & Silvy Show" on ESPN 1000. "I'm not going to lie about that."

It's not surprising, considering Cutler is entering the season with his third offensive coordinator in as many years. And Mike Martz's system has a reputation for being somewhat wide open.

"There are going to be some balls that are picked off," Cutler said. "It's part of the game. But we can't worry about it. Defenses will make adjustments, we have to make them back."

Not only is Cutler working with another offensive coordinator, he's also working with a group of young, unproven wide receivers. And with Martz's offense being predicated on the receiver being at an exact spot, and the ball already being in the air before he reaches that spot, the interceptions could mount, especially early.

"The guys are going to get knocked off routes, something is going to happen, the defender is going to get in the way, and the ball's going to be gone," Cutler said. "That's part of this offense. It's not a read and see what happens and let it fly, it's a read and let it fly. So balls are going to be in the air.

"And they understand that. That's been a point of emphasis since February and March. So they're conscious of it. They don't want to be the guy that isn't in the right spot. They have a lot of pride. It's a young group, but they understand what the impact could be if they're not in the right spot."

Cutler isn't worried about his training camp picks. He threw two Tuesday night.

"Right now, we're all learning, we're all going through it," he said. "The only way to learn from these mistakes is to let the ball go and see what happens.

"Let the guys know, the receivers know, that's where we're going to put it, and if you're not there, that's going to be the consequences of what happens."

Cutler understands being under the microscope.

"Whenever you throw 26 or 27, whatever it was last year, it's definitely going to be a point of emphasis," he said. "It comes with it."

4. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    this is good, the more practice the backups on defense have against their starters on offense the better

5. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    I'm predicting three interceptions by the second string (1 gregory, 1 Strickland, 1 Vaughn Martin :icon_tease:) against Cutlet

6. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    And Vaughn then runs over Cutler on his way to the end zone. :abq2: :abq1: :abq2:

7. SD Native WY

SD Native WY Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +334
    I forgot we were playing against the Cun ...tler :icon_rofl:

8. Cheapseats

Cheapseats Loud, proud Charger fan

Ratings:
    +373
    ...and at least one major meltdown from the interception machine that is Jay Cutler.

As far as him being a successful NFL quarterback...I don't think all of his dogs are barking. (If you know what I mean, and I think you do)

9. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    Or he could do an LT stiff arm :lol:

10. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Bring em on, Rivera is going to have something special for these guy's I'm sure.

11. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    We're going to get the same vanilla defense and offense we always get. If the Bears do come out and let their first string play in the offense they want to teach to veal chop, we will get a real good read on the physical tools of our defense.

12. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    Cun-tler should be on his back all game

13. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I'll bet he doesn't run outta bounds. :icon_tease:

Sorry, LT .... it was there & I took it. :lol:

• Like Like x 1
  14. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    It's freaking game one of the pre-season. If Martz sleeps better at night winning this BIG game then keep your starers in and risk the injury. :icon_shrug: