1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Bears vs. Chargers... in 1963.

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by BlueandGold, Aug 18, 2007.

1. BlueandGold

BlueandGold The Oracle

Ratings:
    +219
    The last few days debating with Bears fans has brought this topic, one near and dear to me, back to the forefront of my mind.

I would like every Charger fan to read this article:

http://www.footballresearch.com/articles/frpage.cfm?topic=chargers63

To me, there is no doubt in my mind. If Superbowl I was held in 1963, the Chargers beat the Bears. It would have been a great game - but I don't think the NFL was ready for Sid Gillman's offense, and wouldn't be for many years yet. We would have stomped the Bears. :bolt:

2. reddenedbeard

reddenedbeard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +112
    This was totally before my time but the more and more I read about how good this team was, I really have started wishing that the Bears would have taken them up on the challenge. The arrogance of the NFL at that time was unfortunate.

In the 1994 Super Bowl run, I spoke to a guy who was recalling some of his stories at Balboa Stadium.. I wish I could travel back in time to have experience some of what some people witnessed. But of course, I can say I did see Fouts play back in the day.. :D

3. BlueandGold

BlueandGold The Oracle

Ratings:
    +219
    The article's account of the 1963 Championship Game. Makes you really think about how much of a genius Sid Gillman really was. You don't see coaching like this anymore.

4. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Damn good read.

Everyone I have talked to without fail says the same thing. The Chargers would have beaten the Bears. We were that good. :icon_toast: