1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Belicheat taping since 2000 says Goodell...

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Fouts, Feb 13, 2008.

1. Fouts

Fouts I heart Deano!

Ratings:
    +349
    He better do something to send a message...

LINK HERE

Belichick has been taping since 2000, Goodell tells Specter
    Associated Press

WASHINGTON -- Bill Belichick has been illegally taping opponents' defensive signals since he became the New England Patriots' coach in 2000, according to Sen. Arlen Specter, who said NFL commissioner Roger Goodell told him that during a meeting Wednesday.

"There was confirmation that there has been taping since 2000, when Coach Belichick took over," Specter said.

Specter said Goodell gave him that information during the 1-hour, 40-minute meeting, which was requested by Specter so the commissioner could explain his reasons for destroying the Spygate tapes and notes.

Dennis Cook / Associated Press
    Roger Goodell told Sen. Arlen Specter that he has nothing to hide regarding materials he received from the Patriots.

"There were a great many questions answered by Commissioner Goodell," Specter, the senior Republican on the Senate Judiciary Committee, told reporters after the meeting. "I found a lot of questions unanswerable because of the tapes and notes had been destroyed."

Goodell said Belichick told him he believed the taping was legal; Goodell said he did not concur.

"He said that's always been his interpretation since he's been the head coach," the commissioner said. "We are going to agree to disagree on the facts."

Specter, from Pennsylvania, wants to talk to other league officials about what exactly was taped and which games may have been compromised.

"We have a right to have honest football games," he said.

Goodell noted that "we were the ones that disclosed" the Patriots' illegal taping of the New York Jets' defensive signals in Week 1 of last season. Further, Goodell said, they had an admission by Belichick.

"I have nothing to hide," Goodell said.

Goodell also told Specter that that he doesn't regret destroying the Spygate tapes or the notes.

"I think it was the right thing to do," Goodell said.

Still, Specter wants to know why penalties were imposed on Belichick before the full extent of the wrongdoing was known and the tapes destroyed in a two-week span. Asked if he thinks there was a coverup, Specter demurred.

"There was an enormous amount of haste," Specter said.

He scoffed at the reasons Goodell gave for destroying the tapes and notes, particularly about trying to keep them out of competitors' hands and because Belichick had admitted to the taping.

"What's that got to do with it? There's an admission of guilt, you preserve the evidence," Specter said. As for keeping the tapes out of the hands of others: "All you have to do is lock up the tapes."

Belichick was fined $500,000 and the team was fined $250,000 because of the Spygate incident. The Patriots also forfeited a first-round draft pick.

Specter has questioned the quality of the NFL's investigation into the matter and raised the possibility of congressional hearings if he wasn't satisfied with Goodell's answers. Specter also raised the threat of Congress canceling the league's antitrust exemption and reiterated that in the meeting with Goodell.

Goodell also said he has not heard from Matt Walsh, the former Patriots employee who performed some videotaping duties for the team.

Walsh told The Associated Press last week during the Pro Bowl in Hawaii that he couldn't talk about allegations that he taped a walkthrough practice by the St. Louis Rams before the 2002 Super Bowl. New England, a two-touchdown underdog, won that game 20-17.

Goodell said he has offered Walsh a deal whereby "he has to tell the truth and he has to return anything he took improperly" in return for indemnity. Specter said he, too, wanted to talk to Walsh and perhaps offer a different deal.

Goodell also said he reserves the right to reopen the investigation if more information is uncovered.

2. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192
    Cover up by Goodel and the NFL! Goodel needs to be investigated to save the integrity of the sport!

3. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,929
    Goodell,
    Time to show you really are a disciplinarian damnit!

4. Showmeyourbolt

Ratings:
    +192
    Goodel was trying to sweep this under the rug by destroying "all" the evidence.

5. Chargers-Superhero

Chargers-Superhero Just win the Damn SB !!!

Ratings:
    +117
    I'd like to see Belicheat get kicked out of the league, or resign out of disgrace, or get fired by Kraft. That would be cool :tup:

I hope it happens :tup: But I doubt it will.

6. tboltzcali

tboltzcali Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +108
    ok....so we already knew he was cheating...this just confirms how long. My only reaction is.....gunna be after they put down the punishment. if they dont pun Billychick hard..Ima blow up. I say you take away this years and next years 1st rounders, give us their first round pick for beating us, and ramdomly draw for next years.

• Like Like x 1
  7. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    That and I hope BELICHEAT gets fired OR retires. And bring old man Bruisky, Sayold, Jackie Chan Vrabel and Seymour Butts with him! Damn Cheater and the Old dudes. Where are all those frickin Pats trolls and all that 19-0 crap anyway? I would be embarrassed if I were a Pats fan. I think that's the end of that run. Tape that Bellicheat!

TIME TO HAVE A SB RUN OF OUR OWN!
    (let's just win 1 to start though)

8. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    I agree to a certain extent. I would give the Draft picks instead of us the Chargers but give the Draft picks to the teams that The Cheatriots play twice a year. So I would give it to either the Bills, Dolphins or Jets. That would hurt the Patsies more than giving the Draft pick to us.

Just my opinion.

9. KimPossible

KimPossible BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,054
    This made me smile a little lol...cute. And I am glad that someone is looking over the NFL's shoulder...in this regard.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Showmeyourbolt

Ratings:
    +192
    The punishment needs to be more severe than that IMO. It should be crippling to the entire organization. No first round picks for five years, as well as suspensions without pay to the coach, and multiple people in the ownership level. Also, they must seriously consider stripping all Superbowls and playoff wins from the team. They do stuff like that in the NCAA, so why not do it in the NFL?

11. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    Penalty should fit the crime.

Belichek admittedly CHEATED. He should be BANNED from football and the teams he coached should be stripped of their titles and awards. Period.

Otherwise I don't give a ****. No other penalty will satisfy me.

12. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Agreed.

Kraft should be forced to sell the team as well.

If that does not happen, then the NFL should take 20% of the Patriots cap space away for evey year they cheated (7 years or so).

The smartest move by Lord Goodell in all this mess is that he consulted with Rooney (Steelers) and another team owner to get input on how to handle the tapes (to destroy or not).

Lord Goodell has the owners (obviously) in bed with him on this decision. It takes "some" of the heat off of him and spreads it around. Cool move on his part to cover his ***.

13. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    On second thought, Lord Goodell and his token monkey-*** will be the fall guy for the league.

The owners will not fire themselves so Lord Goodell would have to face the firing squad from Congress and the NFL Owners.

This is the consummate "squeeze play" in business.

His lordship started out like gang busters and may end up whimpering out as the heat gets dialed up.

The kingdom of the NFL is in jeopardy if Lord Goodell gets tagged as the dude who got the "anti-trust exemption" lifted.

This **** makes me sick.

14. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    Goodell signed his own walking papers when he destroyed the evidence.

15. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    The other reason to "NOT" destroy the evidence and I am not sure why no media outlets have even mentioned this fact, is that the tapes can be used by NFL Security (there is such an animal folks) as training tapes in "what to look for" - al queda style.

To me this is a proverbial no-brainer.

16. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    I agree as well.

I want Kraft to have to sell the team and not be able to purchase another team ever. This is including a Fantasy League team as well.

I would add though is this. I want Belicheater to never be able to coach any where period. That means even not letting him coach in the Bush or a peewee league.

That goes for the coaches as well that are in service to Belicheater.

This thing is so wrong on many levels that it is pathetic.

Down with the Cheatriots organization.

I just hope the punishment will be some of the harshest in history. Just my opinion.

17. maestro876

maestro876 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +63
    As much as it bugs me, and as wrong as it is that they cheated, none of the things you guys are hoping for will happen.

I think maybe a 1% chance Belichick gets further fined/suspended/banned. There is no chance they will do anything else to the Pats organization or their championships. It would screw up too many things--records books, gamblers, awards, etc. etc. At most, MOST, they will say this happened and it was deplorable, but the past is the past and we need to look forward. They may even decide to take the, "it didn't affect the outcome of the game" route. That's what I think will happen actually.

Call me a pessimist.:icon_shrug:

18. Fire & Ice

Fire & Ice BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +7
    The next step that I would really like to see - even though I am certain it will never happen is interview all the big-names that support the action of taping due to their belief that "everyone else does it". It grates me every time I hear that lame, half-*** excuse! It's like being patted on the head, with a sympathetic smile, "Aww... darlin', don't get upset. Everyone else does it."

If no proof can be provided to back that up, then the reasoning is asinine at best.

19. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    Guys, don’t hold your breath for Roger Goodell to do anything about this. Investigating this matter to the fullest extent will put the entire league in a bad light, not just the Patriots. The NFL owners are aware of this too; they are also aware that the more **** that gets dug up, the greater the chances that other teams will be implicated and investigated.

This has been evident throughout the whole Spygate incident. Goodell is lying through his *** about all of it. Destroying the tapes was an obvious cover-up attempt, no way did Belichik think that the taping was legal, Goodell never had any intention of talking to Walsh to get more dirt, it is all bullshit.

Goodell, Kraft, Belichik, and the NFL owners are all on the same side on this. It is up to Arlen Specter now.

Unfortunately, I think Specter’s investigation has run it’s course. Taking on the Patriots is one thing, challenging the NFL and all the other owners is taking it to a level that Specter probably doesn’t want to deal with.

Just my opinion.

• Like Like x 1
  20. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
    Ban him...

nothing else is appropriate... well, unless the mob lost too much money... :icon_eek: :lol:

21. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    You've got Senator Specter investigating Bill Belichick...

Congress investigating Clemens...

And in the end there will be no real outcome to speak of.

What an incredible waste of their time and our money. :tdown:

• Like Like x 1
  22. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +686
    So Goodell can review it, say there was nothing of substance and then destroy those as well. Are you fuking kidding me?

I hope Specter takes possession of the material. No freaking way I would hand those tape to Goodell if I was Walsh. I don't trust Goodell anymore. :no: Not when it is obvious that he has been riding on Krafts jock.

23. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +686
    Remember, Specter was head of the committee that oversees Anti-Trust exemptions until last year and he is still the "Ranking Member" which makes him #2 on the commitee. He has the ultimate trump-card. He is also from Philly and I am sure he has gotten a few letters from his constituents about the SB.

He pulls the anti-trust exemption and the NFL owners are fukd.

I bet the STL, Carolina and Philly owners would not be on the Past side. They were the teams that got possibly burned in the SBs due to Mr Cheater.

What about the AFC teams that lost the AFCCGs to the Pats in those years?

24. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    My main point is, I think a lot of teams, if not all teams, try to get "inside information" to some extent. IMO that is why the public criticism of the Patriots and Kraft by other NFL executives has been fairly minimal.

Again, I don't think the NFL wants to create MORE news regarding this issue, especially after what MLB is going through with the Mitchell Report.

Time will tell, but don't hold your breath waiting for Goodell or the other team owners jumping over themselves to help Specter out.

25. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +686
    I would agree that teams try to get an edge, but the Pats went over the line casting a huge amount of doubt over the integrity of the game and their victories and 3 SBs.

Goodell tried to get it to go away, but that didn't happen.

I don't think Specter has to have any help from the Owners. He has Goodell and them by the short hairs with the Anti-Trust exemption as I said.

Walsh is the current key this whole thing and Specter wants him.

I hope Walsh has his own vid library from his days with the Pats.

26. BoltsFanUK

BoltsFanUK Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +848
    He needs to show that he didn't use Pacman Jones as a scapegoat and he need to bring everything down on this A-hole

27. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    Also Robert Kraft was a member of the commissioner selection committee and a big supporter of Goodell's candidacy. :icon_evil: It took several votes to finally get Goodell selected.

http://www.iht.com/articles/2006/08/09/sports/NFL.php?page=1

28. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
    wow, this is better than Watergate... Walsh isn't the key, his bosses are...

http://www.secsportsfan.com/belichick-spygate-scandal.html

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3226465

Walsh said that when he worked with the Patriots, a very limited number of people within the organization were privy to details about the team's video practices, notably video director Jimmy Dee and Ernie Adams, Belichick's prep school friend and right-hand man.

Walsh said that during his tenure in New England, no taping was done without Dee's knowledge.

As for the prospect of Adams sharing insight into the suspicious practices, Walsh said: "You've got a better chance of him telling you who killed JFK than anything about New England. There are lots of stories there. He told me stories of things they used to do in Cleveland [where Adams assisted Belichick with the Browns]."

every Nixon has a Erlichman & Haldeman... :icon_eek: shades of California... for those old enough to remember... now to find Deep Throat...:lol:

and as I've said before - nothing will happen unless the NFL Owners have their MONIES compromised... so, what can Joe Fan do - write their team and state they will not buy tickets until the game is cleaned up... but that won't happen will it...

• Like Like x 1