1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Belichick gets under Godfrey's skin

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by ChargerRay, Oct 28, 2007.

1. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867
    http://www.nbcsports.com/portal/sit...110VgnVCM100000dc032c03RCRD&vgnextfmt=default

2. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    I mentioned this in a thread in the 'other sports' area - action that would be torn apart by every single media in the US if it was ANY other team other then the Pats is celebrated. Watching ESPN I heard Jaws and Stuart Scott and the Sportscenter guys (in Jaws case I really like him) basically diss the Redskins, sarcastically asking "Why don't they play defense?"

3. Skuzzlebutt

Skuzzlebutt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +128
    I think it is pathetic to see the same thing week after week. I don't care if it is because they want Brady to break records or becuase 'hoody' wants to lash out after being caught cheating.

I'm a Fantasy geek and I own Brady. He has been carrying my team with just rediculous numbers each week. Yet even I am growing tired of his crap and wouldn't shed a tear if another team takes a cheap shot at him for running up the score. No different then a fastball high and tight to showboats in baseball.

Hopefully the Chargers have been humbled and are now being seasoned to show these guys up later this year...

4. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    I hate to sound bitter, but I wish Brady tears his ACL.......and Bellichicken gets thrown in jail. Just kidding. I both hate them and am in awe of what they're doing at the same time.

5. RayDahayder

RayDahayder BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +23
    I can certainly understand being upset because you just got your butt kicked, but shut up and play harder. Why not just have the patriots punt the ball on first down so they don't 'run up the score'? It's a home game. You give the fans something to cheer about. I felt cheated out of half a game's worth of entertainment today. Why didn't they just make a PA announcement saying we could go home if we didn't feel like sitting in the hot sun to watch ONE more first down?

You are a professional. Play for 60 minutes and take a butt whippin' if you can't stop it. Don't expect the other teams to do you a favor and start running 3 and outs. WTF?

Granted, maybe the pats are going a little overboard, but it's working for them. Maybe it's belicheat's way of giving them the "us against the world" mentality that helps teams win. He realizes he needs something big to get past the colts. (and chargers before the season started, but now we all know that the bolts are NOT in that class any more.)

I think Belicheat is a scum bag. But you can't deny what this ********* has done for that team. Confidence is vital to having a winning team. Not hurting the feelings of your opponents isn't that important to winning a super bowl.

6. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    BS. You don't throw deep up 35-0 in the 4th quarter. This isn't about a killer mentality. It's about being arrogant and classless. The Pats are trying to create an aura of invincibility, but all they are really doing is turning the whole league against them. Nothing good can come of that.

7. loweezy

loweezy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +45
    What goes around comes around.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Shamrock

Shamrock Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    I don't wish injury on anyone, but if someone takes a cheap shot at Brady and knocks him out for the year ..... it wouldn't bother me a bit.

9. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
  10. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,581
    What's that they say about unwritten rules? They aren't worth the paper they weren't written on?

That said...

What would the press say if the Chargers decided to run the ball (after Weddle's pick today) instead of take a knee? The Chargers would've got crucified. But if Belichick does it, it's somehow OK.

The difference here is sportsmanship. The Chargers have it, the Pats don't. Complain about it and you're the one who takes the hit. Godfrey will find that out, if he hasn't already. Good sportsmanship is, unfortunately, an unwritten rule too.

11. tboltzcali

tboltzcali Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +108
    I have this great feeling that the Phats arent going to do shiet. Just how we had the best record in football last year, Lt broke records. Im just waiting for this big breakdown from this team and damn Ima be the first one there laughing my *** off!!

12. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +635
    Like I stated in another thread, part of me would love to see this, but I would love it even more if the Chargers could kick the crap out of them in the playoffs :tup: (ok, I'l take a 1 point win :yes:)

13. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    Randall Godfrey blasts Bill Belichick.

Belichick gets under Godfrey's skin

By Tom Curran
    NBCSports.com Updated: Oct29, 2007, 01:02 AM EDT

FOXBORO, Mass. -- Inflamed by the 52-7 whipping given to his team by the New England Patriots, Washington Redskin Randall Godfrey tore into Patriots head coach Bill Belichick after Sunday's game.

"I said something to (Belichick) after the game," Godfrey said to NBCSports.com. "I told him, 'You need to show some respect for the game.' You just don't do that. I don't care how bad it is. You're up 35 points and you're still throwing deep? That's no respect."

New England led 38-0 entering the fourth quarter on a drive into Washington territory.

The Patriots then picked up a first down with a 15-yard completion on third-and-9 and followed that two plays later with a 35-yard bomb down the left sidelines from Tom Brady to Randy Moss. When the Patriots faced fourth-and-1 from the Washington 7 soon after, Brady gained 2 yards on a quarterback sneak. He threw a two-yard touchdown pass to Wes Welker three plays later.

New England added its final touchdown on a six-play, 45-yard drive led by backup quarterback Matt Cassel to make it 52-0.

Asked about the decision to go on fourth down, Belichick asked a reporter, "What did you want me to do, kick a field goal? We're just playing."

Redskins head coach Joe Gibbs took no offense saying, "I have no problem with anything they did. No problem with me."

Godfrey, who has played for six teams in his career was less forgiving.

"You look at all the great head coaches ... I'm just disappointed," he said. You gotta show some class, show some respect. Joe Gibbs? We wouldn't have done that. Bill Walsh? You wouldn't see those types of guys doing that stuff. I've never seen nothing like that. Most teams, you get up like that you sit on the ball and try to run the time out. They're up 30-some points and they're throwing deep. That was blatant disrespect. I hope we can see them again, definitely. You don't see Joe Gibbs doing that. You can't even imagine that kind of stuff coming from him. Joe Gibbs. Bill Walsh. Bill Parcells. This isn't like college going for power rankings. This is the pros you show some respect, show some class."

In a one-on-one interview Friday with NBCSports.com, Belichick was asked whether his Patriots had been breaching end-game etiquette by scoring late on teams.

"I've been coaching too long," Belichick said. "I remember being on that side. When I was coaching defense it was my job to keep the score down, not theirs. When you're playing defense it's your job to stop them. It's not (the offense's) job to not score. It's like I tell the offense, what the (bleep) do you think I send you guys out there for? To punt? We have a punt team for that. That's not your job. Your job is to go out there and score points. If you come off the field and you haven't scored points you haven't done your job."

Late Patriots' scores

• Week 1 at New York Jets (38-14): 1-yard TD by Heath Evans, 1:58 left
    • Week 2 vs. San Diego (38-14): 3-yard TD by Sammy Morris, 3:18 left
    • Week 3 vs. Buffalo (38-7): 45-yard TD catch by Randy Moss, 10:22 left
    • Week 4 at Cincy (34-13): 14-yard TD catch by Randy Moss, 3:18 left
    • Week 5 vs. Cleveland (34-17): 15-yard fumble return TD by Randall Gay, 0:42 left
    • Week 6 vs. Dallas (48-27): 1-yard TD run by Kyle Eckel, 0:19 left
    • Week 7 at Miami (49-28): Brady returns to the game with the Patriots up 42-21 and 10:30 remaining and threw a touchdown pass to Wes Welker from 16 yards out with 8:18 left

14. RayDahayder

RayDahayder BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +23

You're right..... 7-0 is definitely "nothing good".

I don't want to sound like I'm classless or a 'tool'.... I like and appreciate good sportsmanship. But who said you have to "go easy" on your opponent? Isn't beating them the whole point?

The Pats are a bunch of classless guys in my opinion, but playing hard the whole game isn't part of that. And having an attitude of confidence and invincibility is what all teams try and get and the players admit that you have to build confidence in your team and it's ability to win games and put people away. The pats have that. You just can't argue that fact. A lot of these arguments are sour grapes because we aren't THAT team. We would be gloating our butts off if it was the chargers putting that type of whoopin' on their opponents week after week. We'd be running naked through the streets.

I paid a lot of money to watch half a football game today. I had sold five tickets to a scalper on the street for $50. Nobody wanted them. The stadium wasn't even full, even if they did announce a crowd of over 60K. And by the end of the game, it was almost empty because the fans were bored to tears after halftime.

A lot of reasons why this team should have kept playing. Practice for the WRs and PR. Entertainment for the fans. Confidence and 'swagger' for the team. None of that happened. We are NOT an aggressive team. And you need to be aggressive to win the big ones. You can't just turn that on and off at will. It becomes your team's personality. The Pats have that personality now. the chargers have...... one second half first down. And an empty stadium. Wow.... nice going, Norv.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    There is something called sportsmanship, and the Patriots under Belechick do not have any.

16. RayDahayder

RayDahayder BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +23
    I tend to agree with you. The Pats have proven themselves to be questionable when it comes to sportsmanship. But I can't remember the name of the "sportsmanship" trophy they hand out at the end of the season. All that comes to mind right now is the 'Lombardi' trophy. And to win that, it takes confidence and swagger and a psychological advantage (whether real or imagined). The Pats have developed this to the point where we have several threads talking about it. Nobody, I repeat NOBODY is talking about how the Chargers showed 'class' in laying down for the last 30 minutes. You lay down, sooner or later you get run over. Usually, by teams like the Patriots.

17. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    Good point about the Chargers game today. We could have easily run up the score in the second half, but instead we did not choose to embarrass our opponent.

BTW- many sports do give out sportsmanship trophys. College football and the NHL are two examples that come to mind. In the NHL the trophy is called the Lady Byng Memorial Trophy.

18. RayDahayder

RayDahayder BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +23
    Another point (benefit?) that we haven't addressed is the crowd. Do you think the Pats crowd went home early? Do you think when the Pats left the field after the game that they were greeted with loud cheers or an empty, quiet stadium? Do you believe that the players feed off of the crowd?

This is not about being 'classless'..... it's about feeding the emotional fire that a winning team needs to have week in and week out.

At the end of the game today, there were a smattering of cheers. Some 'emotional fire' we lit in our players.

I think most of this is about envy now. We'd like to be the fans of the team who everyone is afraid of. We want to be the fans who are entertained for 60 minutes of a blowout.

yeah.... I'm sort of jealous. I got to watch a whole 30 minutes of football today. Although, I was charged the full '60 minute' price.

19. Shamrock

Shamrock Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,243

That's just about the most ridiculous post I've seen. .... and I've seen some pretty stooopid ones.

20. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    So the Pats are classless to give the fans their moneys worth? Sorry, I don't buy that argument. Yes, I'm sure that fans of every team in the NFL would love to have the success that the Pats have enjoyed, but I know that there are many fans out there that can tell the difference between winning with emotion and running up the score. If the Chargers were classless, I know I'd admit it, as I bet many Pats fans would also concede. There will also be many Pats fans that disagree because they are Pats homers, just as some Charger fans would have no problem if we did run up scores when we could.

The heart of the question however, is does this show any class? My answer is a resounding NO.

21. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    You really are just dying to be the turd in the punch bowl tonight, aren't you? 35-10 just isn't good enough. I think you are one of those unreasonable people who always wants more, no matter how much you get.

How was going up 35-3 not being aggressive? Your logic lacks...well, logic. Did we let the Texans back in the game? Did we give up a bunch of garbage time points? Scoring a bunch of meaningless points on a weak opponent proves nothing. Throwing the ball on 4th down when you're up by 30 proves that you're an *******, nothing more.

Relentlessly running up the score on people does not show a killer instinct. It shows a lack of class.

Running the ball when you're up by 30 in the 4th quarter doesn't prevent you from being aggressive in a close game. That argument only sounds good in your head.

If you're so upset with the Bolts and so smitten with the Pats, then go become a Pats fan.

• Like Like x 1
  22. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205

I'd have to pretty much agree with this post in it's entirety. Being up 35-3 is more than enough reason to subdue the aggressive gameplan.

23. Buck Blincoe

Buck Blincoe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +207
    The NFL is the bigs. As Belichick has stated, he asks his punter to punt, and he asks his offense to score. He doesn't ask them to sit on the ball.

Consider those scoring opportunities to be great practice sessions against "real" defenses. If a team has the opportuity, that's where they can polish skills. Sitting on the ball does nothing to develop a competitive offense.

24. Buck Blincoe

Buck Blincoe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +207
    Pretty petty, wouldn't you say? What if someone said the same about your LT....injure him?

Play the game, defense the opposition, and beat them. That's what football is about. It isn't about taking cheap shots at players who happen to be having a blockbuster season, and that player doesn't happen to be on your team.

25. Skuzzlebutt

Skuzzlebutt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +128

And the reason someone would have for saying they should injure LT would be...? Exactly, he hasn't given anyone any reason.

What Belli-cheat is doing is giving everyone plenty of reason to do it. Not that it would be right, just that alot of people would now consider it 'justified'. If someone pulled the trigger on such an act, I would not feel sorry for anyone involved.

It has nothing to do with them having an amazing season. They could be winning each of their games by 7-14 points less and still be having an amazing season. It is about them throwing deep late and up big. It is about going for it TWICE on 4th down late and up big. It is about blitzing heavy late and up big. And that was just in ONE game.

Sad attempt at putting words in my mouth, by the way.

26. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    The great teams of the past (80's Niners, 90's Cowboys) certainly could have run up the score on teams. But they did not. Throwing the ball when you're up by 30 doesn't "polish your skills." Nobody expects the Patriots to kneel with 10 minutes to play, but going for it on 4th and 1 in the 4th quarter, up by a ton, with Brady still in the game, shows a lack of good sportsmanship.

You could also argue that by running your entire offense when it's not needed, you are providing future opponents additional game tape on your scheme.

Be-a-dick is a cold, heartless prick that has no interest in displaying any class, which is why he had no problem cheating. Winning is all that matters to him. Some people may admire him for that, but winning at any cost is not something I'm a fan of.

27. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Jim Rome is talking about the Pats right now. He Says: "Can you imagine how Bill Belichick is going to do the Jets the next time they play!?"

I hadn't even thought about it...

This could be the worst beatdown in the history of sports. The Pats might score 100pts in that game. That would be pretty awesome to watch. Magini is gonna suffer like no coach has ever suffered before. :icon_rofl:

28. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    LT was 100% right. Their coach is a ****ing dick and so are the players.

4th and 1 up by 38 and you go for it. What a humongous ****ing douchebag move, but from the Pats, I wouldn't expect anything less.

Pats will get theirs. Football Gods see all and those who sin shall be punished. Pride before the fall.

29. Monkeybacon

Monkeybacon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +21
    What about the fake spike plays the last 2 weeks? What a bunch of panzy **** that was. I hope Indy rapes the Patties.

30. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +635
    I agree with many posters here, the patriots are a bunch of classless aholes, starting with their coach, they'll be remmember as one of the best teams of all time (if they go 16-0, 15-1 and win the SB) BUT, they'll be remmember as Bill Simmons says "the Cobra Kai of football" as classless bullies.

I was very pleased with Norv kneeling on the ball at the end of the game rather than going for the score, I guess some classless fans (ajem RayDahater) would have liked the Chargers to go for the score at that point