1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Ben Curtis to don Charger Colors at U.S. Open

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by RM24, Jun 12, 2008.

1. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    LINK

Curtis to wear Bolts at U.S. Open

Wednesday, Jun 11, 2008

By Casey Pearce, Chargers.com

San Diego will be on display to the sports world this weekend as Torrey Pines hosts the 108th U.S. Open Championship, and a former major winner will be displaying Chargers colors as he pursues another title.

As part of his partnership with Reebok, American golfer Ben Curtis, whose resume includes a 2003 British Open title in addition to nearly $6.5 million in winnings on the PGA Tour, will wear Chargers colors throughout the weekend. Reebok is the official apparel company of the NFL, and Curtis dons the colors of the local NFL team at each PGA stop.

“The Chargers are a great organization and hopefully I can represent them well,” Curtis said.

Chargers kicker Nate Kaeding and punter Mike Scifres visited the La Jolla course Wednesday afternoon to present Curtis with the shirts he’ll wear during the tournament. Kaeding is proud to have Curtis representing the Bolts this weekend.

“I can't imagine how many millions of people will be watching this tournament, and at a great venue like this, to have the Chargers colors represented, especially by a major championship winner like Ben, is great for the organization,” Kaeding said. “This whole event is so great for the city of San Diego in general. To be part of it is great.”

Kaeding and Scifres are among several Chargers who are avid golfers. They spent the afternoon touring the South course at Torrey Pines while watching a few players take their practice rounds. Kaeding was particularly excited to see 2007 Masters Champion Zach Johnson, who grew up just a few miles from Kaeding in Iowa.

“It was nice to see Zach and to get out here and take in the course,” said Kaeding, who plays to a handicap of approximately seven. “It’s absolutely beautiful. It’s going to be a great weekend.”
    In addition to wearing the Blue and Gold this weekend, Curtis will also wear an emblem that he hopes brings awareness to a worthy cause. The left sleeves of his shirts feature a blue ribbon that represents Curtis’ support of prostate cancer research. Reebok will donate $5,000 to the Prostate Cancer Foundation for every birdie Curtis makes at the Open, or a minimum of $20,000, and will also give $1 million if he makes a hole-in-one on Sunday.

“It's a great deal, a great cause,” Curtis said. “Reebok called last week and wanted to do something special for Father's Day weekend. We thought this would be the best thing.”

2. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    Awesome.

Still pissed I'm not there.

3. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +715
    Awesome! guess I'll be rooting for Ben and phil mickleson.

SCIFRES RULES!!~!:rockout:

4. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    Me too, RTL, me too......:icon_evil:

5. ghost_

ghost_ BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +106
    BEN GOT CUT TODAY DIDNT MAKE THE GRADE :tdown::icon_sad:

6. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +715
    man anyone else see mickleson implode w/ thnat quadruple bogey:icon_eek::no:

7. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    NICE!!!:tup:

8. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    Yeah, this was Phil's big chance to win the Open in his backyard but he just tanked. On the other hand, Tiger made some spectacular shots! Even my wife, who doesn't usually watch golf with me said she was excited to watch Tiger. He was the reason I got into golf over 8 years ago and play as much as I can. He's got the lead going into today and is 13-0 in majors where he has at least a share of the lead. I just hope that knee holds up.

9. VikingBolt

VikingBolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +477
    Like your wife, I don't watch golf, but wanted to this year because of the history in the making debut of the open being at Torrey Pines. I was hoping Phil would be in a tie for first, but alas he didn't make it. However, I now find I like watching golf. Besides, it's something to watch to tide me over until pre-season, which is taking much too long.

10. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Aaaaaahhhhhhh, Phil!!! :icon_sad::icon_sad: